Lundstram

GA1972

16 hours ago, left winger said:

Probably because his first 2 seasons were half a season shite, half a season great, a season shite.

He is playing well this season, though, and as Jack needs to go, Raskin has flattered to deceive this season and Cifuentes is, as yet, poor then we probably need some continuity in there. So I wouldn’t be averse to a new contract for him.

just not smart to lose your best midfielder for nothing. Even more so when everyone around him is nowhere near the level needed to play for us. without him we would have zero players that are competent at defending in the middle. 

from what i see lundstram is running the midfield and trying to help defensively. he is a player most players would love to play with.

18 hours ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Think he's going to get a new deal. His current form deserves it but if he gets comfortable again it's hard to imagine him not reverting to type.

Jack, Cifuentes, Dowell and Raskin all have major question marks over them. An absolutely brutal position to be in.

Aye I think with how limited our options are it's going to result in him getting a new deal. 

As much as I think he's had a good season, at his age I don't think he's value for money.

Good player on recent form, but not worth the £30-35k we’re paying him and has no resale value. 

We need to look at the mistake we made in resigning Goldson as a blueprint. Yes you need older players, but giving someone who’s nearly 30 another 3-4 years on a high wage makes zero sense for us. You’re looking at that contract costing Rangers the guts of £6-7million…

22 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Good player on recent form, but not worth the £30-35k we’re paying him and has no resale value. 

We need to look at the mistake we made in resigning Goldson as a blueprint. Yes you need older players, but giving someone who’s nearly 30 another 3-4 years on a high wage makes zero sense for us. You’re looking at that contract costing Rangers the guts of £6-7million…

Resigning Goldson a mistake or are you meaning the length he got?

On 08/12/2023 at 21:25, 6superbarry6 said:

Id give him a years deal tbh, we are going to need a major overhaul in there this summer and need a bit of continuity, wouldn’t be offering him a long term deal though. 

I'm in agreement that whilst I think he may be worth keeping around, and i wouldn't want to chuck a 3 or 4 year deal at him on anything close to the rumoured £35k, there is next to no chance he accepts a one year deal at this stage of his career.

50 minutes ago, MayboleLoyal_atb said:

Resigning Goldson a mistake or are you meaning the length he got?

Bit of both. 

Hes 1.5 years into a 4 year deal and our defence hasn’t been good enough in that time and we’ve yet to win trophies since he signed it.

For wages in excess of £30k p/w, we should be getting a better return from the likes of him, Lundstram etc. 

Since Clement has came in lundstram has been our best player, and our best midfielder by a fair distance. If he can keep this form up he is worth a new deal for sure, just not on the money he is currently on. At this stage of his career he will find it hard to get a deal like the one he is on now.

17 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Lundstrum and Goldson on 30k a week is fine.

When you consider no transfer fees, it’s good business. 

We’d be worse off without both of them this season.

Its the pish on the bench collecting wages and the millions wasted on fees of guys like Lammers and Dessers below that’s the problem.

I think this is where I am as well. You’re probably talking the best part of 100k a week for Butland, Goldson and Lundstram. But you’re also talking the best part of 100k a week for Dessers, Lammers, Matondo and Davies. That’s where the issue is. Over 3 years those 4 players will have taken £15m in wages and cost us £15m in transfers. It’s absolutely disgraceful.