Graeme Souness Close To Return To Ibrox

mrmojorisin

3 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Thanks for that info mate, I have not listened to it.

I must admit I am a big Souness fan, but was disappointed what he had said about Lampard because as you say it is being used by the media to cause a split with our fans. I also thought Lampard would have been a disaster for us.

Hopefully if Graeme does get some kind of appointment with our Club, he will quickly realise that he needs to be very careful with what he says because the Tarrier media will not want him back with us, and will use every opportunity to divide him from us fans.

100% agree. 

51 minutes ago, Blues Brother said:

Has anyone actually watched his interview? All this negativity is just helping the media push the agenda they are trying to promote…. His interview was very good and complimented our manager a lot. He clearly explained why he thought lampard was his preferred choice. Which was very reasonable. 
All  the  Rangers fans, who are falling for just a small snippet of the interview are only helping one organisation and that’s the Scottish press.  Job done as far as they are concerned 

Can you post the interview to provide the context?

You maybe right given PC smacking them down at the press conference today as the OP original link doesn’t really mention anything about PC hence why people are commenting negatively.

1 minute ago, ayro said:

Can you post the interview to provide the context?

You maybe right given PC smacking them down at the press conference today as the OP original link doesn’t really mention anything about PC hence why people are commenting negatively.

Haha wish I knew how to. It’s on YouTube. I’m not so good with that stuff 

52 minutes ago, Blues Brother said:

Gees that was easier that I thought it would be. 

Thanks for posting mate.

Don’t think it helps the context as he’s basically saying Lampard knows the West of Scotland better than Clement is why he was his choice, which is bollocks.

It’s not Lampard’s fault he flopped with 2 clubs he willingly managed but what’s in his favour is he gets the West of Scotland, whereas Clement’s a proven winner in management and was really impressive in his talks but as doesn’t know the West of Scotland, Lampard should have got the job.

The last thing we need is taking on someone in an advisory role who uses this kind of logic.

48 minutes ago, ayro said:

Thanks for posting mate.

Don’t think it helps the context as he’s basically saying Lampard knows the West of Scotland better than Clement is why he was his choice, which is bollocks.

Might be bollocks, but I still think it’s a massive overreaction to what he has said. I take it as he thinks Lampard has been more used to the media and fan scrutiny in the game here than Clement, which in his opinion Lampard might handle it better. And of course is debatable, but is not the most outrageous thing to ever have been said. 

18 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I was all for Souness playing a part for us, but Lampard as Rangers manager?????

Has he totally lost it?

It's probably the whole British thing and getting what it's like to manage one of the biggest (sorry biggest) British club. 

He was still very complimentary of Clement and on evidence so far, rightly so :thumbup:

19 hours ago, Blues Brother said:

Has anyone actually watched his interview? All this negativity is just helping the media push the agenda they are trying to promote…. His interview was very good and complimented our manager a lot. He clearly explained why he thought lampard was his preferred choice. Which was very reasonable. 
All  the  Rangers fans, who are falling for just a small snippet of the interview are only helping one organisation and that’s the Scottish press.  Job done as far as they are concerned 

We all know how it works though mate and it shows how much he is out of the game that he let that slip. It is a different world to what he knew though so just naivety. 

Nothing against him but for me he isn't even in my top three Rangers managers in my lifetime. I would be wary of giving him too much influence. 

I have mixed feelings. Love Souness and agree the interview was taken a bit out of context but I still think he should have known better given his experience of us. 

To create a distraction the night of a big European game was a mistake. Also, given the time he spent with us and the issues he had with our media and the SFA at the time he should have realised his words would be picked apart by the press. Not the first time in his career he’s been very naive with the media. 

Also, let’s consider the board apparently want to bring him in an advisory role and at first time of asking have essentially ignored his advice. As I say, while I love the guy and appreciate the input he has had in this instance with Clement I just wonder the value of having him around in a club role beyond an ambassador. 

23 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

One step ahead for sure. Clement dealt with it the way it should have been but would have been better if Souness had not created the situation in the first place. 

There is also the fact that the media will try and create a narrative out of nothing to make a headline and a lot of people willing to believe anything that suits them, even if it is no more than a provocative headline. It would have happened sooner or later because they just can't help themselves. 

Clement called them out quite well on it.

5 hours ago, Darth Bear said:

We all know how it works though mate and it shows how much he is out of the game that he let that slip. It is a different world to what he knew though so just naivety. 

Nothing against him but for me he isn't even in my top three Rangers managers in my lifetime. I would be wary of giving him too much influence. 

Fair enough mate, I just think the fans going mad about it helps create the story. If they don’t do that then the story isn’t as big as it became. 

1 hour ago, Blues Brother said:

Fair enough mate, I just think the fans going mad about it helps create the story. If they don’t do that then the story isn’t as big as it became. 

That's because half of our fans fall for it all the time which only encourages them to do it again. 

All we can do is be as careful as we can with what we say knowing that it will probably be twisted anyway. 

Giving them no credence is the best solution but many find that impossible unfortunately.