Would losing Alfredo be a blessing in disguise?

Blue Avenger

The expectation is that Alfredo will be gone this coming summer. His lifetime ambition is to play in the EPL which you couldn't blame any aspiring player for.

He would realise his goal and we would hopefully earn enough from the sale to fund several players of quality that we badly need to make a serious challenge.

The downside is we lose our best player and his goals. We lose a player who imo has much  more to come out of his locker as he matures and grows. We also lose a player with a big heart and a personality to match. Despite all the detractors bemoaning his so called "petulance" as an excuse to demonise him and the club he plays for, there is not a bad bone n his body. He just loves going out there and doing his thing. He revels in the sport he loves.

Quite simply the haters in this midden have put a target on his back and are conspiring to destroy him. Clubfoot epitomises that mentality. What is being done to Alfredo is as cynical and sinister as it is cowardly. It is imo better that he moves away as his development is now being stunted here and he would flourish and reach his full potential in a league where football is the game and not hatred. He deserves no less. We could also say, that if he does go, the haters have won, but have they? 

On the football front, we appear to have a one dimensional approach as to a game plan, in get the ball to Alfredo. IMO we do not always do that too well, in being rather ponderous and predictable in too many games and many of his goals have been through his own selfless work ethic. When he isn't at it, we do struggle with alternatives and no plan B. Whilst we have witnessed some sterling performances as a team, the consistency isn't there as we all know and Alfredo cannot play well in every game even if he gets through the hammer throwers after being kicked up and down the park. He is only human after all.

So what IF no Alfredo? Firstly there are not many strikers out there of his style and tenacity that could replace him. I also doubt many would put up with the shite he has. If a target is put on a new strikers back, I hazard to guess he would indeed fall foul of many reds cards in taking retribution. This means our manager has to come with a new approach to our game plan and indeed show his worth as next season is make or break.

We need more goal scoring outlets than our main striker as the oppo are just snuff that position out for lack of a goal threat coming from elsewhere. We need options and a better quality of player to overcome the antifootball we face from many teams. We need to be more solid and less ponderous in defence. More creative in midfield. A higher tempo going forward and players that can deliver those cutting edge through balls. Better movement off the ball. Quick thinking, quick feet, better decision making. These qualities just don't exist in the current crop, but add 3/4 of that quality, the rest can fit into a system that delivers those consistent winnng performances. Given the resources, it is then up to Gerrard to develop that winnng system. Only on the sale of Alfredo can we have a chance of bringing in that desired quality. This summer we don't need wholesale player departure, but several of the desired quality and mentality coming in.

In conclusion, I say the sale of Alfredo liberates us from the current easy and lazy option of get the ball to Morelos which is all rather too predictiable and his absence would demand that the manager has to cme up with a better and more dynamic footballing solution to the very one dimensional approach that we now have. If he succeeds we lay waste to all before us. If he fails, we are in meltdown!

Of course it would, unfortunately, one man seldom makes a team, though Morelos has come closer than most this season. 

Only way we can justify not cashing in is if commercial deals (advertising and shirt sales etc) could fund him, or if Davie King found the extra cash to keep him here another season (could increase his value next year too, but given current attitude towards him from the authorities and media could just as easily go tits up.) And of course the player himself is ambitious, so I guess he'll move on to richer and more accommodating pastures in the summer. 

I agree with some of that, I mean I think a lot of people have talked about the one dimensional way we play just so that we use Alfredo to his strengths. But when it comes down to it, it's the manager's job to properly manage players, tactics and formations. 

If we cannot change formation and play well with and without our best player it says more about our management team than the player himself. 

We should be happy to have the player, not seeing it as a blessing in disguise if he leaves. With the only positive there being if we get a wad of cash for him and are able to spread it about the team instead of just having a quality lone striker.

The player has to be moulded in order so that he feels at home playing as a supporting striker or lone striker, or he will just have to get used to not being used in certain games that require different tactics.

It's a weird predicament, but like I said, it's one which says more about our management weaknesses than our player's strengths.

File under losing your left leg would give you loads of practice at becoming really good at hopping on your right.

Not sure I'm trusting the money to be spent wisely either, not many Gerrard/Allen signings have been runaway successes.

It's an interesting read @Blue Avenger. You make some good, well thought out points. If we lose Morelos it would give us a chance to be less one dimensional and less focused on the "get the ball to Morelos" strategy. We do need others to step up and contribute a lot more than at present. 

I do hope we keep the wee man. He is improving and growing all the time. I would say if Morelos leaves,we have to change the formation and play in a very different way. 

13 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

It's an interesting read @Blue Avenger. You make some good, well thought out points. If we lose Morelos it would give us a chance to be less one dimensional and less focused on the "get the ball to Morelos" strategy. We do need others to step up and contribute a lot more than at present. 

I do hope we keep the wee man. He is improving and growing all the time. I would say if Morelos leaves,we have to change the formation and play in a very different way. 

Ideally you want to keep him and buy players that can add more goals alongside him. For me that's an inside foward winger and attacking midfielder. 

I hope he stays but gut feeling is we'll cash in this summer. I also agree a formation change is likely if he goes. 

Just now, BlueKnight87 said:

Ideally you want to keep him and buy players that can add more goals alongside him. For me that's an inside foward winger and attacking midfielder. 

I hope he stays but gut feeling is we'll cash in this summer. I also agree a formation chance is likely if he goes. 

I think that's how we are trying to play, or would like to play, but just don't have the quality in those areas to really use the system to its fullest potential. 

I we got £20m for Morelos and we’re allowed to reinvest all of it then maybe we could be stronger as a team next season.  However, I have little confidence in our ability to spend that money on quality replacements.  Most of the guys we sign don’t work out.  We’re terrible at recruiting.  

2 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

The cunt runs through walls for us man. Who would be his replacement? 

If we somehow managed to keep him, with another years progression in him, and added 3/4 quality players I'd be over the fucking moon. 

Can't think of any player that could do the job he does up top. Seriously 

Not reading but yes I would sell him 

Better players would be found