Left back

GOAT

35 minutes ago, TMB said:

Gerrard:

"A moment of brilliance". 

"Borna stepped up he deserves all the credit he gets because I've seen him do that many times on the training pitch.  But, you've got to do it in big moments" 

"He's a good lad"

"He got his opportunity today and he certainly took it with both hands.  Not just because of the free-kick I thought his all round defending, his all round game was strong, and that's what we're going to need"

"When people come in they have to perform and that's what Borna's done"

Should be playing Thursday Sunday then which I think he should anyway , Croatian left back , he should thrive on the next 2 fixtures 👍🏻

54 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Spot on. If it wasn't for the free kick I wouldn't have been too impressed once again by his performance. There's definitely a player with ability in there but I fear it won't be us who get the benefit from it.

I’d honestly play him the next two games , time to step up and finally show us this player in there in 2 powder keg fixtures , could potentially be a disaster as it’s highly likely he’ll disappear up his own arse in both but a Croatian internationalist shouldn’t be sidelined every huge game coz he can’t be trusted , get him in there and he needs to stand up to it 

12 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I hope it gives him confidence for our good. His goal was a cracker too, but if not for that I'd have given him 5/10.  Tavs made at least 6 good crosses into/ near the 6 yard box today, how many did  Barasic make?

Regardless of how many crosses he put in he was still better than a 5/10.

I genuinely think folk are blinkered at times when it comes to players they don't rate. Rather than comparing him to Tav judge him on his own performance. I think he done ok myself and would've gave him 7/10.

35 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Regardless of how many crosses he put in he was still better than a 5/10.

I genuinely think folk are blinkered at times when it comes to players they don't rate. Rather than comparing him to Tav judge him on his own performance. I think he done ok myself and would've gave him 7/10.

He hardly made a cross. Was bang average apart from his goal. He won't keep his place in the team until he improves.  No way will he start on Thursday.

I didn't know whether to put my thoughts on  Barišić on a new thread, or continue on this one, but here goes.  I doubt very much if many 'Gers fans had heard of Osijek before we were drawn against them last season, and I'm sure even less had heard of Borna Barišić.  The common consensus is that we signed him on the strength of the two games against us, so if that is the case, what exactly did we sign him as?  If we signed him as a player in the mould of  a Saša Papac  or a Jon Flanagan type full-back, then we fucked up badly, but if we signed him as an attacking left sided midfield type player, then we might have an asset in our midst.

Maybe we have short memories, but when he played with Osijek  his performances against us that impressed our Gaffer/ DoF, plus a lot of our fans certainly wasn't as a defensive left-back, because in those two games you would have been lucky to see Barišić  get within 20 yards of the touchline on defensive duties when Kent or Candeias went wide; in fact you were more likely to see Barišić  somewhere adjacent  to the the edge of the penalty box, plus his tackling was virtually woeful and his heading ability was non-existent.

If that was his "Jekyll" then his "Hyde" was in the attacking sense= His area was around 30 yards from his goal, hugging the touchline in acres of space ready to whip  viscous crosses into our box. Osijek played a different marking style, as do Croatia to what we do, so, is it the case that Borna Barišić  is still trying to adapt to our system, or is he a waste of a transfer?

If you think I'm wrong about how he played against us, go and have a look at the highlights of those games on Rangers TV and make up your own mind.

24 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

If he hadn't of scored the goal we'd all be talking about another disappointing performance and another chance he's failed to take. 

But he did score the goal, and he did win us the game, and the manager has since praised his all round performance.  

I've yet to see Barisic play as bad as Flanagan or Halliday at left back, but I've not seen him have a really good performance either.

Flanagan and Halliday have both put in big performances previously but also some of the worst performances i've ever seen from a Rangers player and you don't know what you're getting with them.

Up until now, Barisic has been consistently average - not great, not bad, he just continues to play it safe. That's why he frustrates a lot of people because he clearly has talent. That's a confidence issue imo and if he can get a run of games then he's easily our first choice LB.

39 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

If he hadn't of scored the goal we'd all be talking about another disappointing performance and another chance he's failed to take. 

And if McGregor didn’t make saves, he wouldn’t be our goalkeeper. Not sure what point you’re actually making here...

He came in, was solid defensively, comfortable in possession and scored the winner - and more importantly for me showed the first bit of genuine passion I’ve seen from him in a Rangers shirt. 

He’s not Tav, but Tav has had plenty of time, chances and fuckups before he became the leagues best fullback. Barasic needs time and support - hopefully he keeps performing and earns it.

19 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

And if McGregor didn’t make saves, he wouldn’t be our goalkeeper. Not sure what point you’re actually making here...

He came in, was solid defensively, comfortable in possession and scored the winner - and more importantly for me showed the first bit of genuine passion I’ve seen from him in a Rangers shirt. 

He’s not Tav, but Tav has had plenty of time, chances and fuckups before he became the leagues best fullback. Barasic needs time and support - hopefully he keeps performing and earns it.

I disagree with that completely and going by the reaction of those around me at the game I wasn't alone. 

Yes people will probably say I've made my mind up about him and its clouding my judgement but I think the goal is clouding a lot of peoples judgement about his performance overall. 

He had a solid game. He was in a good position on the wing a couple of times but didn’t receive the ball due to woeful passing. We need to play him against the block and get the ball to him. He should also take corners. Flan should play away from home in Europe and cup games. Halliday back up.

56 minutes ago, The Blues said:

He had a solid game. He was in a good position on the wing a couple of times but didn’t receive the ball due to woeful passing. We need to play him against the block and get the ball to him. He should also take corners. Flan should play away from home in Europe and cup games. Halliday back up.

Fair enough summary. 

Halliday ideal back up to both, he is a mix of both Barasic and Flan. Although not quite as good at a what they are good at. 

2 hours ago, jackrfc95 said:

I disagree with that completely and going by the reaction of those around me at the game I wasn't alone. 

Yes people will probably say I've made my mind up about him and its clouding my judgement but I think the goal is clouding a lot of peoples judgement about his performance overall. 

The Croatian internationalist blinds many bears from reality mate  , to the ones that think no matter what he does people like myself and you  won’t give him the praise is absolute nonsense , I thought Ryan Jack was terrible his first season and very average at times last season , he’d be my first name on the team sheet the way he’s started this season , when Barisic starts playing well I’ll be the first to say it 

3 hours ago, jackrfc95 said:

There’s loads that have made their mind up on him. No ones saying he’s a world beater, but he did fine on Sunday generally, and scored the winner.

9 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

He hardly made a cross. Was bang average apart from his goal. He won't keep his place in the team until he improves.  No way will he start on Thursday.

I hope he does start as I'm not a great fan of flannagan or halliday however I'd be more likely to start 1 of they 2 against celtic as I think forrest is shit scared of them. 

9 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

I hope he does start as I'm not a great fan of flannagan or halliday however I'd be more likely to start 1 of they 2 against celtic as I think forrest is shit scared of them. 

Well if he does he can take the free kicks.

12 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Pretty comical that Tav used to get slated on here as he 'couldn't defend' and many people wanted him replaced with a more 'defensive minded' full back who can defend.

Here we have Barisic who has defended well bar one moment at the end and people still having a go. Not done enough, average, hides blah blah blah. Was only recently people were having a go about his defending. The goalposts being changed once again on here to suit agendas.  

He could score a hat trick against the scum on Sunday and would hear comments from the same posters saying  without that hat trick he offered nothing, he was hiding, Forrest beat him once not good enough..

Reminds me of the people who used to slate Kris Boyd --- "all he does s score goals."