British League

tommyw

2 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

This is another wee bit from an article 2 years ago. But hey social media haters just gotta hate. 

Jibes aimed at City’s supposed poor attendances are both tiresome and incredibly easy to debunk. I could get down into the nitty-gritty and point out that City’s average home attendance in 1998/99 was 28,273. They were in the third tier at the time. I could also namecheck a report that came out two year’s back that evidenced that City have more long-standing match-going fans than any other Premier League club.

That is not to look down on occasional attendees but it’s a proud boast nonetheless. I could highlight too that Liverpool’s record attendance would only be City’s 29th highest but why waste your time further when I can simply state that the club’s average home gate this season is 98.2% of its capacity.  To use Liverpool again as a comparison theirs is 97.8%.

Attendance figures this season

Stadium Capacity -
Anfield - 54,074
Etihad - 55,097

Average Attendance -
Anfield - 52,889
Etihad - 54,120

Stadium Fill Percentage
Anfield - 97.8%
Etihad - 98.2%. :mutley:

City count tickets sold.  Liverpool count turnstile clicks. City have a very good hard core of 30000 or so fans who are as ardent as fuck.   Feel sorry for them having to leave Maine Road which was s proper football ground to play in a soulless bowl.  

12 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

It's not a case of our support becoming a "tourist support" it's more a case of prices would be hiked much higher than genuine working class families could afford and they'd miss out and the tourists would buy the tickets.

Your right.  Only ever seen tourists at OF games and not many at that.  Success in a British League and there will be droves.  You wont see anyone raising their ST outside the ground in the hope of a buyer,  tickets will be on the black market for serious money.

48 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

It's not a case of our support becoming a "tourist support" it's more a case of prices would be hiked much higher than genuine working class families could afford and they'd miss out and the tourists would buy the tickets.

Never thought of it in that perspective, you could have a point there TBF.

Football is a competitive sport. If you have no aspiration to compete against the best, then what's the point? 

One minute we're British, now we're Scottish. OK., I get it. Let's be the big fish in a very small uncompetitive pond, where the total competition amounts to the number of one and they're Irish. 

Not that any of this shite will happen, but surely to fuck our ambition is better than this backwater if the gift horse showed up. 

8 hours ago, andyhrfc said:

City count tickets sold.  Liverpool count turnstile clicks. City have a very good hard core of 30000 or so fans who are as ardent as fuck.   Feel sorry for them having to leave Maine Road which was s proper football ground to play in a soulless bowl.  

Maybe if they didn’t sit there in near silence, it wouldn’t be soulless?

4 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

One minute we're British, now we're Scottish.

We're both.

There's a Scottish league, there's no such thing as a British league.

We will have aspirations of competing in the Euro champions league next season, the pinnacle of the club game.

Celtic are also a Scottish club.

I’d have jumped at this 25 years ago. The financial gap to the big clubs was nothing like it is today. We’d have been competing at the top end. Now, even with the broadcast money etc, we’d be miles behind Man Utd and the other big clubs in terms of revenue. I don’t think we’d have any realistic prospect of a title. We’d have to content ourselves with big games against English sides and a bigger budget, so better players. However, the last 10 years have shown how much winning stuff actually means. And wins over that lot would mean much less when the league isn’t at stake.

Can’t see this happening but if it did I’d now have serious reservations. 

47 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

We're both.

There's a Scottish league, there's no such thing as a British league.

We will have aspirations of competing in the Euro champions league next season, the pinnacle of the club game.

Celtic are also a Scottish club.

"Celtic"!  Oooooohhhh

Those who fly the tricolour and support who chant about the home they love and came from.  Oh and chant about terrorism?! Aye, very Scottish right enough! 

It appears some are wanting a British League. What's your problem? No point in the usual ah but we're Scottish, when we're also British as you say and the SFA, FA and UEFA are sanctioning it. Kinda kills your rather oarachial logic. 

Oh, the Champions League that isn't. 

We are part of a two team league. Very competitive right?!! 

1 minute ago, G.E.C. said:

I’m a man 

Controversial statement, but let's keep this on topic.

I would love to be given the chance to compete regularly against the best of British. 

The current premiership is fairly anodyne imo. Us and them would certainly add spice to it.

12 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Would rather we revamped our game tbh.

Top league of 18 or 20 and tae fuck with the 4 league games vs each other and tge possibility with cup replays 7 games vs the one team 

Trouble with revamping to 18-20 teams is the number of seriously week teams.  

Imagine an EPL with Man U and Liverpool, three or four teams from the bottom of the EPL,  half a dozen Championship teams and a few from Division 1.

To increase competitiveness other than between the OF we would need the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd to step up a few gears and close the gap.   

14 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Top league of 18 or 20 and tae fuck with the 4 league games vs each other and tge possibility with cup replays 7 games vs the one team 

Start the season earlier and get rid of the split. 

25 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

2 years ago we played the sheep and kilmarnock a total of 14 times, fourteen fucking times in one season :ang:

In terms of numbers that's more than a third of a league season against just 2 teams. Absolutely brutal.

Unfortunately we don't have the clubs to make our league bigger and have just the 2 league games against everyone. 

No idea how we change it tbh.

37 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Celtic"!  Oooooohhhh

Oh sorry for not acting pre-high school age and de-capitalising the first letter of a new sentence, never knew it would upset you.

You seem to know a lot about their songs.

Who said I have a problem? 

Oh so the SFA/UEFA AND FA are sanctioning it now, this fairly escalated overnight! Where you hearing this?

Oh the British league that isn't.

Shame you can't count to 12 but not surprising really.

30 minutes ago, andyhrfc said:

Trouble with revamping to 18-20 teams is the number of seriously week teams.  

Imagine an EPL with Man U and Liverpool, three or four teams from the bottom of the EPL,  half a dozen Championship teams and a few from Division 1.

To increase competitiveness other than between the OF we would need the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd to step up a few gears and close the gap.   

Dundee, Falkirk, Partick Thistle, Ayr, Inverness and Queen of The South are as big as the likes of Hamilton, St Johnstone, Ross County and Livingston.

11 hours ago, slimjim1690 said:

This, I could never imagine The Rangers supporters ever becoming a "tourist" support.

I could TBF - sure there was a time Man U and Liverpool fans thought the same, sure there was a time NFL sides never thought they would have to miss home games as they would be held in London, things can change quite quick. 

If Rangers won the CL 3 years in a row they would naturally attract more and more supporters from around the world who would then attempt to access the stadium, natural demand would see a hike in prices which would in turn then freeze out a lot of fans, that is what has happened at the likes of Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool who up to 20 years ago had the same local, our club belongs to our city feeling Rangers fans have. 

50 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

The only reason its 4 games against everyone is so sky can show the 4 old firms. For the pathetic sum they give us for the tv deal we would be as well telling them to ram it and organise our league the way we want. Playing everyone twice would increase the chance of Aberdeen, hibs or hearts to put in a challenge. Dont get me wrong, i want Rangers  to win the thing but more of a challenge has surely got to be  welcomed.

1 minute ago, MurrayWilson said:

The only reason its 4 games against everyone is so sky can show the 4 old firms. For the pathetic sum they give us for the tv deal we would be as well telling them to ram it and organise our league the way we want. Playing everyone twice would increase the chance of Aberdeen, hibs or hearts to put in a challenge. Dont get me wrong, i want Rangers  to win the thing but more of a challenge has surely got to be  welcomed.

Thats a good point.

24 points up for.grabs each season against us and the nappy rippers.

A lot of points to help you lose ground especially if you have a dip In form.

1 hour ago, RFC55 said:

I agree in principle, think the reality would be shite TBF. 

I appreciate this context and nuance could be applied in most countries but in Scotland in particular it really hits hard.

The likes of Alloa, Arbroath, Greenock, Ayr are in reality too small to be in a top league, I know there is an element of Super League shut sides out wankyness to that but there also isn't - a bigger league, would likely see less TV money, less TV money spread wider which hurts more sides than it helps, there being in the league would damage the game more than it would enhance it.

Scottish football does need Rangers playing celtic multiple times to generate the money to help these clubs survive, if for instance it had been a 20 team league now during Covid, I reckon the league would have collapsed

If Scottish Football went through a reset and started again tomorrow, it would be best served doing so with about half the teams currently playing in the league structure and regional sides with more teams merged together. To me this country doesn't have the population to merit the league structure we have. 

Ross County and Inverness for example have both punched well about their weight TBF to them so possibly make a case for being stand alone clubs, but to me they two sides in the locations they play having two teams is fucking daft, would apply that to a few other locations.