*****Official Rangers v Hibs League Cup SF Match Thread*****

.Williamson.

1 minute ago, j1mgg said:

We are slow as fuck going forward, or backwards is what our going forwards is. Hibs on easily got their team back behind the ball anytime we tried to go forward.

Yip you just knew they would side pass or back pass when got near the goals .

As much as I hate to say it hibs played us off the park yesterday.

I thought the guy in front of us was going have  a heart attack screaming at them to ffn shoot .🤷‍♀️

16 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

The rat I believe complained about no money for new players. Well, he should’ve sold a couple of imposters to freshen up the team.We are now paying the price mate.  

Exactly what I’ve been thinking, too, mate.

I think the Villa job came up at just the right time for him, amongst other things, he saw this coming, without having had a proper freshen up job over the summer.

1 minute ago, HG5 said:

Exactly what I’ve been thinking, too, mate.

I think the Villa job came up at just the right time for him, amongst other things, he saw this coming, without having had a proper freshen up job over the summer.

Ran before his profile dropped .

5 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

We are slow as fuck going forward, or backwards is what our going forwards is. Hibs on easily got their team back behind the ball anytime we tried to go forward.

Indeed - we all moan a lot about the opposition getting 11 men behind the ball.

Seriously, the time it takes us to get the ball forward, the oppos would be guilty of dereliction of duty if they didn’t get their men back in the time we allow them!

Just now, HG5 said:

Indeed - we all moan a lot about the opposition getting 11 men behind the ball.

Seriously, the time it takes us to get the ball forward, the oppos would be guilty of dereliction of duty if they didn’t get their men back in the time we allow them!

This is not new from us. The fucking slow build up outside the opposing box is what’s so frustrating. We’re not Barca of a few years back. Too static. 

37 minutes ago, HG5 said:

That style of football has a shelf life & takes it’s toll on the players.

We’ve had over 3 years of, largely, the same guys shouldering the load & I think they’ve basically had the legs run off them.

Failure to freshen up in the summer with a couple who could regularly hold down a first team starting slot is beginning to look seriously flawed.

I think the style of football is the biggest problem.

Our system was based on Liverpool, when they won the league they did it in a canter, similar to us.

The season after they picked up a lot of injuries and never settled and ended up finishing 3rd iirc but struggled to hit any previous heights, this season they have picked up and look a lot stronger again.

This season for us is going to be a fucking slog and unfortunately we don’t have the quality squad depth to change it up or finance at January to turn the squad over.

The confidence gained from winning the league has evaporated and we look like the team that on their good day can beat Braga home and away but on a bad day can get beat at home to Hamilton.

The energy levels we had to win the league were great, we kept going and closed games out when we had to, now we look fucked and there for the taking.

Lot of hard work for GvB and the coaching staff to refresh and lift up.

1 minute ago, Hadron Collider said:

This is not new from us. The fucking slow build up outside the opposing box is what’s so frustrating. We’re not Barca of a few years back. Too static. 

Exactly HC.

Nobody willing to really impose themselves on a game any more.

Lookjng at that bunch yesterday, in what was a bit of a showcase, makes me wonder who we’d get serious money for now?

I’m sure EPL clubs are already bursting at the seams with guys who can do the things ours are coming up with.

Shortcomings are ruthlessly exposed when your goalkeeper has used up all his saves…

Well that was fkn pish. Even went to change into my Gers top at half time as the team clearly needed me, for all the good it did. Too much like a few seasons ago, all the possession, but not many chances and the other side scoring with the even less chances they got. Raging. 

Over to you, Gio. Several arses to be kicked. 

Just now, ayro said:

I think the style of football is the biggest problem.

Our system was based on Liverpool, when they won the league they did it in a canter, similar to us.

The season after they picked up a lot of injuries and never settled and ended up finishing 3rd iirc but struggled to hit any previous heights, this season they have picked up and look a lot stronger again.

This season for us is going to be a fucking slog and unfortunately we don’t have the quality squad depth to change it up or finance at January to turn the squad over.

The confidence gained from winning the league has evaporated and we look like the team that on their good day can beat Braga home and away but on a bad day can get beat at home to Hamilton.

The energy levels we had to win the league were great, we kept going and closed games out when we had to, now we look fucked and there for the taking.

Lot of hard work for GvB and the coaching staff to refresh and lift up.

Spot on mate👍

And I don’t think we should underestimate what went into winning that title, with a great unbeaten run.

I’m sure it was harder than we made it look at times, but that looks to have taken it’s toll, as you say like Liverpool, with the injuries we’re now seeing, and ‘stop-start’ seasons a number of players are having.

6 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Spent all night there in work just thinking about that game and how it reminded me of how that team were before covid hit and how they had basically chucked it, that performance yesterday was absolutely reminiscent of that. 

Beggars belief how a squad and a manager can come from an undefeated league campaign wrapping the title up in unbelievable numbers to basically not wanting to charge on and achieve more. 

The worrying thing is that result has been coming for a long, long time this season and it just so happens its cost us another shot at a trophy, 1 in 10 for the majority of that squad is an absolute embarrassment. 

I agree with you, and the small crumb of comfort I take from it is that we came back after that horrendous period to win the league convincingly and by a record total.

COVID was the trigger at that time, you’d hope that the presence of a new manager would be able to do the same.

I think the players need to remember they are playing for Glasgow Rangers. It doesn't matter who is in charge, the fans demand 100% and anything else like yesterday just isn't good enough at all. 

Hopefully Gio will be the catalyst to getting our performances back on track.

52 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

So,well,look,see,erm
Where does Gio start with that.
FOR......71% posession,18 shots,4 on target and none scored.
Unlucky Rangers?
AGAINST....29% posession,3 shots,3 on target and 3 scored.
Spawny hivs?
One thing is certain.
the hard done young centre half is still a manky fuckin tramp and will never learn,and i'll never know what the fuck he was on about when he was punching the ground and writhing about cheating trying to get an opposition player sent off,when Alfie brushed his girly fuckin chin with the back of his hand.
And he definitely will never have the class of our ex manager.

Welcome and good luck Gio.

I made a seperate post about shooting stats. In our last 5 games we have faced 12 shots and conceded 10 goals. Literally everytime out opponent shoots they score. 

Not sure how u plan against that as literally every team we okay will have a shot or 2 in target every game

29 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I feel for Gio. I don’t see how he turns that around.

If you can’t lift yourself to impress a new manager watching you in a cup semi final then fuck knows 

Not looking for excuses but with no staff or manager they’ve obviously had no structure during the week to make preparation for the semi-final an absolute shambles which it unfortunately turned out to be. 

10 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Spot on mate👍

And I don’t think we should underestimate what went into winning that title, with a great unbeaten run.

I’m sure it was harder than we made it look at times, but that looks to have taken it’s toll, as you say like Liverpool, with the injuries we’re now seeing, and ‘stop-start’ seasons a number of players are having.

A big failure was not to freshen the squad from a position of strength, some of that should have been utilising the likes of Patterson, Bassey, Kelly, Wright early in the season to give them a chance to become more than squad depth.

The signings of Lundstram, Bacuna and Sakala haven’t taken any pressure off Kamara and Davis in the midfield and Morelos looks a pale shadow of the rampaging Buffalo we all know and love, not helped by Roofe being injured so often.