Thank you Jermain

Essandoh

Been a joy having JD at the club, been an exemplary footballer all his career also an exemplary human being, His goal v livi was astonishing, he made it look so easy, natural and fluid it kinda distorts just how good it was.

Wish him and his family all the best for the future.

Did a fantastic job for us in his time, his goal to minutes ratio is very impressive. A gentleman of a man and truly one of footballs good guys.

Lovely leaving message from him too, he is one who got what we are about. Thanks for your service Jermain and all the best for the future.

Mixed emotions. Absolutely gutted to see him go tbh.....but so thankful he graced our club and helped give us some special memories. Also sad that he never got the chance to get a proper send off (Fuck the SPL) or that his goal V's the Scum wasn't to a packed Copland Road.

Thank you for the memories Jermain, once a Ger, always a Ger! WATP! 

His best goal for us

Probably his most special goal for us

The loudest I cheered one of his goals (wasn't able to see the OF game)! Scenes!!

Best of Luck to him, did us a turn and scored some crackers, solid professional, pity he didn’t sign for us years ago as his stint at Ibrox was the most successful of his career. We are the biggest club he ever played for. He deserved more watching him over the years. Kudos to him and all the best Jermaine Defoe, a part of 55 Forever.👍🏻

Sad to see him go but fully understand Gio's thinking.

Scored some great goals had the ability, regardless of where he was in the box or which way he was facing, he just knew where the goal and the keeper were.

Best of luck for the future wee man.

2 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Has he secured something yet?

Seems to be strongly linked with Reading

My mate supports them and was saying there’s something in it if what he’s hearing is correct

He won’t play 90 mins but you’d imagine him and Carroll would be a good ‘little and large’ partnership up top for them

Sunderland would be silly not to approach him

16 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

good article. All the best Jermain.

‘Honest conversation’ with Giovanni van Bronckhorst led to Jermain Defoe’s ‘emotional’ Rangers departure

January 13 2022, The Times

Jermain Defoe has revealed that an honest conversation with the Rangers manager, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, led to his “emotional” departure from the Ibrox club.

The 39-year-old former England striker had become a player-coach under Steven Gerrard, but when the latter left to become the Aston Villa manager in November, Van Bronckhorst took over and appointed his own backroom staff.

On Wednesday, the club announced that Defoe had departed halfway through the one-year contract he signed last summer. In an interview with talkSPORT, the player was asked how it had ended with Van Bronckhorst.

“It was basically an honest conversation with the manager. ‘Do you want to play or do you want to coach?’ Remember, everyone’s got different ideas,” he said. “I think he looked at it, coming from a different culture. I said, ‘gaffer, I want to play because that was always my plan from the beginning.’ I said, ‘I want to play in front of the fans and hopefully have another successful year and at the end of the season we will see what happens in terms of me stopping playing, moving on or becoming a full-time coach.’ I’m all or nothing.”

Defoe firmly believes that he is sharp enough to continue playing and is already weighing up a number of options. The former Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United and Sunderland striker, who played 57 times for England, will join another club and decide in the summer whether the time is right to retire.

“I’ve had loads of phone calls as you can imagine,” Defoe said. “I’ve got a few options. From the beginning of the season, my plan was to continue playing till the end of the season and then see what happens.

“I’ve always been honest with myself. I had a full pre-season. During the season, in training, I still feel sharp. I finished last season really strong. I speak to my team-mates and the lads always say to me, ‘you can play for another three years.’ There’s no chance I’m going to play for another three years. But your team-mates can see.”

Defoe, who won a Premiership title with Rangers last season, said he was still capable of performing at a high level. “Every day in training, I felt like I was playing with the best players in that league. So if I’m still feeling sharp and doing my stuff against these players, there is no need for me to stop. Stop just because you’re 39? No, you stop when your body tells you to stop.”

Defoe’s departure prompted an outpouring of thanks from team-mates, staff and supporters. The following morning, he was moved by the countless messages on his phone. He said he had been blown away by the magnitude of Rangers, whose history he had absorbed during his three years there.

“I would always ask little questions,” he said. “I would go in the kitroom and I would sit down with Jimmy Bell and I would ask him to tell me some stories about the club and [Graeme] Souness and Gazza [Paul Gascoigne] and all that. Then I would speak to the ladies in the canteen who had been there for 30 years. ‘Tell me your favourite games’ and stuff like that. ‘What was he like as a player?’ So I really bought into the culture. I really enjoyed it. So it’s emotional waking up and seeing all that stuff. The messages are unbelievable from the fans. My phone has just gone mad. I wish I could message every person back on Instagram but I can’t. It was a special time.”

Someone should have fired this into barry fergusons inbox and it might have stopped him producing yet another piece of absolute nonsense for the DR. Striker in down the pecking order shocker. 

12 minutes ago, WWTC said:

Someone should have fired this into barry fergusons inbox and it might have stopped him producing yet another piece of absolute nonsense for the DR. Striker in down the pecking order shocker. 

Putting his name to it & taking a few quid more like.