John Lundstram

KeyserSoze

5 hours ago, Southsider said:

He's over two years younger than Kevin de Bruyne and he's our best CM.

But naw, offer him a pay cut to stay because we're Rangers.  That's basically what people are saying on this thread 

Mate he signed as a free agent so his sign on bonus would lrobably also have been included in a increased wage. He has to take a pay cut unfortunately not sure on how much but we can't be resigning him for 40k a week if the rumours are true that's what he is on. 

1 minute ago, Finny said:

Mate he signed as a free agent so his sign on bonus would lrobably also have been included in a increased wage. He has to take a pay cut unfortunately not sure on how much but we can't be resigning him for 40k a week if the rumours are true that's what he is on. 

We have loads of deadwood to get off the wage bill - Jack, Davies, Roofe, Barisic, Cifuentes, Wright, possibly Raskin

I'd rather dump them than lose a player who is currently our best CM.  He's 30, not 33 and I very much doubt he'll stay if we ask him to take a pay cut.

56 minutes ago, Southsider said:

We have loads of deadwood to get off the wage bill - Jack, Davies, Roofe, Barisic, Cifuentes, Wright, possibly Raskin

I'd rather dump them than lose a player who is currently our best CM.  He's 30, not 33 and I very much doubt he'll stay if we ask him to take a pay cut.

I get that mate and I want to keep him but your setting the level of pay for our top earners that won't be feasible for the entire team. He already ruffled feathers in the squad when they realised how much he was on a week I'm sure. 

2 hours ago, Finny said:

I get that mate and I want to keep him but your setting the level of pay for our top earners that won't be feasible for the entire team. He already ruffled feathers in the squad when they realised how much he was on a week I'm sure. 

the majority of the team will not be top earners though.

we will not be able to replace a player of his quality cheaply. Also him and sterling look formidable in the middle together.

21 hours ago, Smell the hotdog said:

There was a reason he came up the road, which was cause it was the best deal available and wasn’t getting it elsewhere. Guys been shite bar a 6 month period to Seville and about 2 months under Clement.

30K a week far better spent on someone who we can sell on for good money.

Do you have any in mind that we can get for free?

6 hours ago, Finny said:

Well they should get to his level and they can ask for the same money. First name on the team sheet just now.

5 hours ago, Southsider said:

I get that, but seeing that he and Butland are currently the first two names on the team sheet, I don't have a problem with it

Paying your best players the most, it’ll never catch on.

It’s usually the length of term that’s as much of a factor as the wage, when you get to 30 odd.  

Say he’s on £35k p/w as rumoured, we’re not offering him miles less than that. Maybe we’re trying to bring it down to 28-30k p/w, but we’re not going to insult our best player on form (barring super JB) by offering him half what he’s currently on. 

But we’re probably only willing to offer than kind of money to someone with no resale, on a 2 year basis (if we’re really embracing the player trading model). He might get similar weekly wages down south on a longer term like 4 years…

4 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

It’s usually the length of term that’s as much of a factor as the wage, when you get to 30 odd.  

Say he’s on £35k p/w as rumoured, we’re not offering him miles less than that. Maybe we’re trying to bring it down to 28-30k p/w, but we’re not going to insult our best player on form (barring super JB) by offering him half what he’s currently on. 

But we’re probably only willing to offer than kind of money to someone with no resale, on a 2 year basis (if we’re really embracing the player trading model). He might get similar weekly wages down south on a longer term like 4 years…

If that happens then he goes, I’d be giving him 3 years anyway. But it’s just FM pish this only certain deals for 30 year olds. Even SI rate over 30’s higher than some of RM.

10 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Paying your best players the most, it’ll never catch on.

Should ridvan be on 40k a week just now then. I'm more than impressed with lundstrums contribution recently but he was getting hounded out the team a few months ago. 

For the Majority of JL Rangers career the Majority in here were more than underwhelmed with the return on his supposed 30k a week wages....the night we lost in Cyprus I quoted that if I never saw him in a Rangers shirt ever again it would be more than justified such was the ineptness of his performances.....yes he has improved under PC but that doesn't mean that we cave in and give him a deal on the current wages he earns...I'm not against giving him a new deal now but I would do it with caution, as others have pointed out, if he feels he can make more money down In the championship then fine let him go....he will impress me more if he signs a new deal on less money as proof that you don't get too many chances at clubs like ours.

I'd be happy if the club offered a 2-year extension on the same terms. If he wants a longer deal (3-4 years), surely we could offer something where in the last 1-2 years of the deal, he's guaranteed X% of his current salary, with the remainder based on hitting appearance targets? 

The prime years varies player to player, but 28-32 would probably be considered prime for a midfielder.

It isn't the 1980s anymore where a 32yr olds legs had gone more often than not. It's 2024, and playing to a high level into your mid-30s is normal now. A fit and healthy Lundstram would be expected to still have 4-5yrs in him at a high level.

It would be embarrassing to offer a pay cut to a player bang in the middle of their prime years.

people suggesting a 1 year extension and a pay cut :lol:

In what world do you think JL looks at that and thinks its a good deal for him? This is likely his last big contract of his career. Id be offering him at least a 3 year deal to tie him down and give both him and us the security. Id then get rid of Jack and sell Raskin (maybe Chelsea are interested.....), then actually look to add a quality player in beside him. Really wish we hadnt missed out on Lewis Ferguson tbh.