Welcome to Scotland VAR

G.E.C.

VAR will be used in Scottish football for the first time during Hibernian's Scottish Premiership match against St Johnstone next Friday at Easter Road.

The Scottish FA have confirmed the technology will be rolled out across the top flight that weekend.

It will also be used for the Scottish Cup and League Cup semi-finals and finals.

The governing body says Fifa has given approved its use in Scotland after three years of planning.

VAR has been used at European games in Scotland, but never in domestic football, although the technology has been operating in the background for a trial period.

It will be coordinated centrally from the video operations room at Clydesdale House in Glasgow.

"We have worked extensively over a near three-year period to get to this point, have tested in every Premiership stadium as part of the training process, and we are ready to go," said the Scottish FA's head of referee operations Crawford Allan.

"As we have seen across the world, VAR has helped ensure a higher percentage of on-field refereeing decisions are accurate and that is a principle our match officials support."

All but one of the SPFL clubs voted to approve the use of VAR in the top-flight after the World Cup in Qatar, but have expressed a desire to introduce it sooner.

I hate VAR, not because of what it is, but because of how it's used.

VAR should be used at the discrection of the ref.

If the ref isn't sure about an offside penalty etc, he can choose to look at it.

If a player or manager thinks an offside or penalty etc is wrong, then they ask the ref to look at it.

What we don't need is jobsworth pricks watching a tv and telling the ref to look at things

1 hour ago, RoboBearToo said:

I hate VAR, not because of what it is, but because of how it's used.

VAR should be used at the discrection of the ref.

If the ref isn't sure about an offside penalty etc, he can choose to look at it.

If a player or manager thinks an offside or penalty etc is wrong, then they ask the ref to look at it.

What we don't need is jobsworth pricks watching a tv and telling the ref to look at things

It's starting to influence some of the referee's which worries me. 

3 hours ago, Dickie said:

I take it a message on the big screen will tell us that a var check for possible penalty ect will happen but what about the likes of Livingston will a cunt come on with a sandwich board.

If it's a goal they'll bring a Tony Macaroni spinach pizza out the pitchside oven, if it isnae then it'll be pepperoni.

On 12/10/2022 at 17:40, Drumloyal said:

Who was the only one who voted against it?

I don't think they voted against it as in bringing it in as part of our game, I think they voted against it being brought in after the world cup, I think they wanted it in sooner.

I could have misinterpreted the last paragraph though.