Always Remembered - The 66.

Loyal72

1 minute ago, Loyal72 said:

Almost 52 years ago this coming monday, Rangers played celtic in the New Year Old Firm. 

On that day in 1971, many lives would be changed, and 66 taken.

Ibrox itself would be remodelled, a street in Markinch that lost five young boys.

As we bring in the New Year, and again look ahead to another game against celtic, spare a thought and raise a glass, for our sixty six absent friends:

Bryan Todd, Robert McAdam, Peter Wright, John Gardiner, Richard Bark, William Thomson Summerhill, George Adams, John Neill, James Trainer.

Richard Douglas Morrison, James Whyte Rae, David Douglas McGee, Robert Colquhoun Mulholland, David Ronald Paton, George McFarlane Irwin, Ian Frew, John Crawford, Brian Hutchison.

Duncan McIsaac McBrearty, Charles John Griffiths Livingstone, Adam Henderson, Richard McLeay, David Cummings Duff, David Fraser McPherson, Robert Lockerbie Rae, Robert Campbell Grant, John McNeil McLeay.

David Anderson, John Buchanan, John McInnes Semple, John Jeffrey, Robert Maxwell, Matthew Reid, Alexander McIntyre, Peter Gilchrist Farries, Thomas Melville.

John James McGovern, George Wilson, Robert Charles Cairns, Hugh McGregor Addie, James Yuille Mair, Margaret Oliver Ferguson, Robert Turner Carrigan, George Alexander Smith, Walter Robert Raeburn.

Andrew Jackson Lindsay, Charles Dougan, William Mason Philip, Russell Morgan, Peter Gordon Easton, George Crockett Findlay, Charles Stirling, Thomas Dickson, James Graham Gray.

Thomas McRobbie, Ian Scott Hunter, Nigel Patrick Pickup, Russell Malcolm, Alexander Paterson Orr, Thomas Walker Stirling, James William Sibbald, Frankie Dover, Walter Shields, Thomas Grant, William Duncan Shaw, Donald Robert Sutherland.

May you never be forgotten.

Ibrox-Disaster-Plaque.thumb.jpg.e506bbd53a73f53cad041c5cca490601.jpg

Always a poignant reminder of the passing of time for me. My father and uncle attended the game and they knew someone who died (McPherson).

Just now, bluenoz said:

Always a poignant reminder of the passing of time for me. My father and uncle attended the game and they knew someone who died (McPherson).

Dad and Uncle went up on the Alloa bus, they'd already left early because of the visibility. 

Always gets me thinking back on it. We always assume going to the football that it's just another day out, a laugh with the boys, few beers n up the road.

But we take our lives into the hands of security stewards etc, every week.

My Dad and Uncle went down the stair moments before before the horror and, they were in a pub in the City centre for quite some time before news of what had happened came through, they both had to wait a long time in a queue for the payphone to let the family know that they were OK. 

Never had any problems with my Mum when she refused to let me go to the football without someone looking out for me until I became  old and sensible enough to take care of myself.

5 minutes ago, ayro said:

That’s the memorial in Faifley for the 3 guys who sadly passed away.

My Dad was supposed to go with a group of guys with Charles Dougan but got pished on the 1st and between the fear of hangover and my Mam didn’t go.

Absent friends 💙.

BC07DA68-9FF8-4D78-AD5F-927ED9342A69.jpeg

You from faifley mate? 

RIP and never forgotten. 

Younger ones here can’t imagine what it was like back then (pre mobile phones) but my Dad was at the game and went out for a pint with friends after the game and it was only when he got home he calmed the panic in my Mum because he hadn’t let her know he was ok.