Todd Cantwell

RockwellGers

35 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

I am pretty confident Cantwell is going to be an utter anti climax. Showed a lot in meaningless games last season when there was no weight of expectation on him.

He was amazing in the EPL when he first arrived, but he died a death and couldn't sustain it when there was expectation on him to perform.

There seems to be a mentality issue with him.

We have already seen it with Lundstram,  one great season down south and then died a death. He's repeated that up here.

Cantwell not being selected on Saturday seems ridiculous to us. But we don't see training every day. There has to be a major downturn in his performances there, otherwise he would have been selected.

If thats the case the lundstram must be playing like a god in training, same for tav as both are honking in games the now 

7 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Wrong! Cantwell is first or second name on team sheet every day of the week. Not sure where you’re getting this idea that there’s a mentality issue with him. 

How can I be wrong? It's a prediction about the forthcoming season. We won't know if I am wrong until May.

I've explained why I have a hunch there is a mentality issue.

I think Cantwell needs to buckle down. He gets overplayed in here a bit, but there is no denying his talent. 

I still shake my head when thinking about him missing out on the starting 11 last Saturday. It beggars belief.

I fully expect a great game from him on Wednesday.

24 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So tactical.

You've downplayed his performances last season with the "meaningless" comment that suits folks negativity. You seem to doubt him if there's expectation on him.

A mentality issue.

A major downturn in his performances you reckon. So how does that tie in with a tactical managerial decision?

Were you this critical last season? Has he even had the opportunity to play the role he excelled in during recent friendly "meaningless" games?

What I'd suggest is that this is a perfect example of the pendulum seen in this place all too often where something/someone is either utterly incredible or fucking woeful with nothing in between.

Honest to fuck man.

It was the first prediction I made on the "bold predictions" thread a month ago. My feeling has nothing to do with Saturday, or preseason (which I didn't watch anyway).

1 hour ago, DiamondDan said:

I am pretty confident Cantwell is going to be an utter anti climax. Showed a lot in meaningless games last season when there was no weight of expectation on him.

He was amazing in the EPL when he first arrived, but he died a death and couldn't sustain it when there was expectation on him to perform.

We have already seen it with Lundstram,  one great season down south and then died a death. He's repeated that up here.

Cantwell not being selected on Saturday seems ridiculous to us. But we don't see training every day. There has to be a major downturn in his performances there, otherwise he would have been selected.

10 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

It was the first prediction I made on the "bold predictions" thread a month ago. My feeling has nothing to do with Saturday, or preseason (which I didn't watch anyway).

"Cantwell's good run of form to fade once the honeymoon period is over"

Aye almost word for word. Apart from "form to fade" changing to being weak, a likely repeat failure, mentality issues and now its a major downturn in training performances. Uncannily similar there 😂

10 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

The Cantwell dip in form is completely on Beale.

Pointed out he was wasting him wide left or in a midfield 3, with Lammers taking the role Cantwell had last season behind the striker during preseason - and got told that he’d be back in there in competitive action and he’d be back to his best, and preseason didn’t matter etc etc.

Then you get that pish on Saturday. Beale making a rod for his own back. Mind boggling. 

Not sure that is entirely fair given Cantwell's record of blowing hot and cold.

I agree that in this formation he's not suited there, but when he was at Norwich his starting position in his best years was nominally on the left.

Getting Dowell, Lammers and Cantwell into the team is going to be really tricky for Beale, as well as keeping Hagi and Lawrence happy when he is back, not to mention Matondo. I think it's pretty clear Sima is going to play most games.

13 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

You'll be in your element if what you said about Cantwell ends up being true. Plenty in here who revel in negativity 

13 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

Dominic can you not start an airdrie topic so you can at least comment on a team you do actually watch.

36 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

The Cantwell dip in form is completely on Beale.

Pointed out he was wasting him wide left or in a midfield 3, with Lammers taking the role Cantwell had last season behind the striker during preseason - and got told that he’d be back in there in competitive action and he’d be back to his best, and preseason didn’t matter etc etc.

Then you get that pish on Saturday. Beale making a rod for his own back. Mind boggling. 

Dip in form? He’s played 30 minutes this season. No one looked good in pre season, Cantwell included as I’ve previously said, but a dip in form after 30 minutes man. 

3 minutes ago, nik2402 said:

Dip in form? He’s played 30 minutes this season. No one looked good in pre season, Cantwell included as I’ve previously said, but a dip in form after 30 minutes man. 

Was absolutely on fire at the end of the season. 

He has been utterly awful in preseason, and couldn’t get in the team for Kilmarnock.

What would you call it?

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Was absolutely on fire at the end of the season. 

He has been utterly awful in preseason, and couldn’t get in the team for Kilmarnock.

What would you call it?

So you judge pre season as form. Even though players are playing parts of games and getting fitness? I’d rather judge a player in proper games and after playing 30 minutes I think it’s mental suggest he’s had a dip in form.

22 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

Very negative post with no real foundation. Reads as if you want Cantwell and us to fail. 

The lad shows more enthusiasm than most members of our squad. If anything he tries to hard at times.

Comparing him to Lundstrum is fucking criminal! Sounds as if you are willing him to fail. Fucking loathesome attitude from you. 

Do you sit and continually engineer ways to vex  Bears? Certainly seems that way.

5 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Pretty mental Cantwell getting it in the neck and writtten off for his preseason performances, where he barely played the role he excelled in last season, and for Beale tactically preferring to start his new signings.

Both positions in the wide centre midfield have been a fucking disaster since being implemented regardless who plays there. 

Cantwell is inconsistent, he's made a bit of a career out of it so far, if he wasn't then he wouldn't be up here in the first place, he looked good last season, no denying that but I think a lot of us were expecting him to dip at some point.

The end of the season probably came at the wrong time for him as he was more than likely playing his most confident football in a couple of years, I've got no doubt he'll be back to his best again soon but will also fully expect him to go through another dodgy patch in a few months time.

It's upto Beale to coach that out of him and maybe dropping him on Saturday was his way of showing him that he always has to earn his place, although us putting on a pathetic show without him wouldn't have done his argument any favours if that was his logic.