*****The Official Hibs v Rangers Match Thread*****

7 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

Nah not for me. Jack offers far more than Arfield going forward.

You can’t single out the negatives in Jack’s game while totally ignoring the positives, then gloss over Arfield has been pretty much anonymous in the majority of the games he has come on this season (Aberdeen game is the obvious outlier but that is the exception not the rule for me).

If we are upgrading the midfield this summer then neither should be in the starting 11 but Jack (even allowing for injuries) can still contribute as cover / rotation against the lower SPL teams. Arfield is going to be competing for a sub in an increasingly competitive squad with a diminishing return of meaningful impact from the sub bench.

Too many people seem to have this inability to let go and accept that players get older and less effective.  Arfield still has that smart game where he knows where the gaps are but doesn't have the physical capability to keep making those runs and defensive work required.

Just now, WWTC said:

Working all day today so missed the game. How did we look? Ridvan? How did £2M Hagi play?

Ridvan was okay but showed some of the poor defensive play that our fullbacks are always going to show when being asked to play so high up the pitch. At 1-0 Ridvan was caught up field when Hagi lost the ball for the umpteenth time then struggled to get back as we were caught on the break. Really should have been 1-1 as the Hibs player missed an absolute sitter.

Hagi was awful. Kept giving the ball away then falling on his arse. Then he scored and was like peak De Bruyne for 10 minutes 😂 before going off.

10 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Ridvan was okay but showed some of the poor defensive play that our fullbacks are always going to show when being asked to play so high up the pitch. At 1-0 Ridvan was caught up field when Hagi lost the ball for the umpteenth time then struggled to get back as we were caught on the break. Really should have been 1-1 as the Hibs player missed an absolute sitter.

Hagi was awful. Kept giving the ball away then falling on his arse. Then he scored and was like peak De Bruyne for 10 minutes 😂 before going off.

It’s not the full back’s fault if he’s up the park when someone gives away a poor ball in midfield though. The ball should be going TO Ridvan, or Tav, not getting turned over. 

23 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I still don't know what Raskin's best role is. Is he a #6 or #8? 

Raskin is a good player, but he clearly needs to work on his fitness. I think his injuries are preventable.

What was preventable about an innocuous knee collision?

Enjoyed that game today 

The addition of crosses over the top and through the channels is something we've needed all season bar a few that went wayward we really carved them open today when in control of the game .

The overall workrate has been great to see in so many areas off the ball .

The communication & working for each other is also another plus point the last few weeks.

Raskin & Cantwell's upturn in form has been a factor for me and Souttar is going from strength to strength.

Good variety in the goals today makes for a team all on the same wavelength and far more positive in their attitude as a unit.

29 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Raskin is a good player, but he clearly needs to work on his fitness. I think his injuries are preventable.

Weird take on his fitness. Doesn’t come across as injury prone 

4 minutes ago, SPWF said:

It’s not the full back’s fault if he’s up the park when someone gives away a poor ball in midfield though. The ball should be going TO Ridvan, or Tav, not getting turned over. 

Disagree. He should be going forward when we have the ball but he needs to have awareness of the opposing player's position in case we do lose the ball. Not fully blaming Ridvan though because as @Jimbeamjunior says it could be the system. The trade off in attacking threat is definitely up for debate though.

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

McCorie shaky in a few moments but overall he has done very well since coming in.

I don't want Butland given he's barely played in years though Beale's comments on experience in that area suggests it's a cert he's signing.

If we're not spending money on someone currently playing at a good level aged 25-30 I'd prefer a James Trafford type to battle it out with McCrorie for the position.

I was cautious about overhyping McCrorie, and then when the Butland deal looked off I was alright with him being no 1.

After today, I’m back on the needing a proper good GK signed as no 1 and McCrorie being there to battle it out. Looked shaky at times, which is a worry. 

57 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Reminds me of Wilshere, needs to stay back to prevent injuries when he runs towards other players like this.

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I was cautious about overhyping McCrorie, and then when the Butland deal looked off I was alright with him being no 1.

After today, I’m back on the needing a proper good GK signed as no 1 and McCrorie being there to battle it out. Looked shaky at times, which is a worry. 

Perhaps the absence of Goldson played a part, did he save that header from Nisbet at the back post....I thought it hit the post at first it then looked like he saved it?

46 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Perhaps the absence of Goldson played a part, did he save that header from Nisbet at the back post....I thought it hit the post at first it then looked like he saved it?

Yeah think he saved it.

Was more dealing with cross balls, which is something we really need to improve on from McGregor. 

3 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

Tav was caught out far more than Yilmaz, that Youan was on his own more times than not until he switched sides.

6 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Tav was caught out far more than Yilmaz, that Youan was on his own more times than not until he switched sides.

Canny remember Tav's man getting a free shot at goal. Ridvan's man should have scored at a crucial point of the game to make it 1-1.

10 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Turned Tav inside out numerous times and was their out ball for first 65 min

How is that relevant to Ridvan's performance? Ridvan's man missed a sitter due to the same defensive lapses that Borna gets slaughtered for. Watching the game as live right now and can confirm that despite us initially being in possession and then getting caught on the break Ridvan was 100% caught out of position.