Did you know ANYTHING about the targets we've signed?

Ace

Take everything you read on here with a pinch of salt. Very few of us if any knew about Bassey, Morelos, Aribo etc. It's just opinions, nothing more. We could probably dig up posts from the Morelos signing thread with people moaning about us signing an unknown. It is what it is.

Not a single person on here has said anybody is going to be shit. There's a massive difference between saying a target hasn't "excited" them on paper and people overreacting claiming they've been "written off". 

It's perfectly fair for people to watch videos and read up as much as is available and opine on it. It's the entire point of the forum. Nobody has tried to predict the future.

Personally, there's one signing that on paper doesn't "excite" me, most I'm indifferent on/waiting to see how they do, and a couple that I think look quite exciting. 

18 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

This looks like the classic - no one is allowed an opinion unless you have regularly watched the player all season - thread. 

You can do research, read opinions, look at stats. There are tonnes of ways to get a good understanding of players you've not watched 30+ times. 

Not at all, everyone has an opinion my (poorly expressed) thoughts were that everyone seems an expert on every player suggested or linked and no one seems will to go "I've never heard of him so I've got no clue"

I often tell my junior colleagues at st work the best thing you can do when asked a question is say "I don't know .. but I'll find out" 

Everyone has to have an opinion, noone is will to show the just don't know. 

7 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

I know their star signs, and that’s enough for me to make my absolute judgement on them. 

As good a method as anything else

I’ll never have an issue with someone being irrationally excited by a new signing to be honest. So many players we sign these days I’ve never heard of and seeing other fans talking about being excited by certain players, whether this is based on an actual knowledge of that players ability or not, helps give me confidence that they’ll do well. 

The way I look at it is that hopefully our recruitment team know a lot more about these players than myself and other supporters of a footy forum. Yes they will make mistakes, all Managers do, let's just hope this seasons crop deliver the goods.

I knew Butland from his time at Stoke and even though he hasn't signed yet I know Jose Cifuentes just through watching MLS during the summers.

The rest is just about research and watching wee bits and bobs you can get your hands on through youtube etc.

Personally I'm quite positive about the caliber of player we're been linked with/bringing in.

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Not at all, everyone has an opinion my (poorly expressed) thoughts were that everyone seems an expert on every player suggested or linked and no one seems will to go "I've never heard of him so I've got no clue"

I often tell my junior colleagues at st work the best thing you can do when asked a question is say "I don't know .. but I'll find out" 

Everyone has to have an opinion, noone is will to show the just don't know. 

Nobody is claiming to be an expert but as someone said earlier in the thread it's never been easier to find out information on players than it is now, every player has all their records freely available, reasonably extensive highlight reels, easily accessible opinions from former fans/coaches etc