Goldson

MacBoyd

13 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

No one said every important game.... he is one of the best defenders we have had that can have a massive howler in him. When I think of our best centre halves from history, I don't remember them having those clangers in them. They were dependable. Goldson plays to a really high level and has certainly been our best CH of the last 4 /5 years but he frequently just has a massive fuck up in him. It is so frustrating. 

If he had just cleared that ball in Seville we would very likely have another European trophy in the trophy room....

.... also I still have a bitter taste from his comments when we went 3 goals down to Hibs in the cup 

On balance I am glad we have him but there is no getting away from his propensity to fuck shit up.

Seville's a typical example of what I'm talking about. Scott Wright could easily have blocked that cross coming in and they would have got no more than a throw in. He didn't - he put in a half hearted effort and the cross came in. With Calvin Bassey's pace, he could easily have matched the run of the man he was marking, and prevented the shot. He didn't - he ball watched and the player got a simple finish. Yes, Goldson was at fault - but so were the other two and they hardly merited a mention. 

I'm old enough to remember everybody from McKinnon onwards. Colin Jackson and Terry Butcher in particular were two great Rangers centre halfs who were prone to bad mistakes on every bit as regular a basis as Goldson - and in big games too. It doesn't mean they weren't still great players.

Your second post though was more measured, and you've acknowledged that Goldson's overall a good centre half.

I agree that (like Jackson and Butcher) when Goldson does make an error that costs a goal, it's often a bad one. Still don't think it equates to a disrespectful "shits the bed" though.👍

2 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Feel for him tbh. Someone needs to shout for him to leave that ball last night because he obviously had no idea it was going to nobody in the Benfica side behind him 

Caught in no mans land ultimately

If anything it's a good set piece and it's exactly what you look for whipping a ball like that into the box.

10 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Caught in no mans land ultimately

If anything it's a good set piece and it's exactly what you look for whipping a ball like that into the box.

We were stupid not to challenge how far forward the free kick was taken from compared to where it occured. That gave them a huge advantage.

8 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

Why not just fucking head it back from where it came from? 🤦🏼‍♂️

Because he wasn't in a position to by the the time it came to him - he had to either try and header it for a corner (which is what he tried), or leave it. Butland should have been screaming at him to leave it.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

He could do with a rest alongside Tav & Lundstram. Three games to go before the international break. 

It's a big gamble to rest the mainstays at this time of the season.

100%. Might not be an exaggeration to say those 3 have played as many minutes as any player in a top European league. (And cumulatively over the past few seasons).

How many other teams have made it to their domestic cup final, still on a European run and don’t rest players in their domestic cups/europa league matches or have a large enough squad they rotate.

Just hope they don’t run out of steam towards the end. A bit like Arsenal did last season when they had a slim squad.

54 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

100%. Might not be an exaggeration to say those 3 have played as many minutes as any player in a top European league. (And cumulatively over the past few seasons).

How many other teams have made it to their domestic cup final, still on a European run and don’t rest players in their domestic cups/europa league matches or have a large enough squad they rotate.

Just hope they don’t run out of steam towards the end. A bit like Arsenal did last season when they had a slim squad.

We don't have as many internationals as we maybe had in previous seasons. In the last European run we had Barisic, Bassey, Balogun, Aribo, Jack, Davis, Kamara, Morelos, Ramsey, Sakala. 

Getting to that break without further injury is key.

3 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

We were stupid not to challenge how far forward the free kick was taken from compared to where it occured. That gave them a huge advantage.

Happened constant tbh especially with the throw ins

It's european football in a nutshell, cute and dirty tactics to get a leg up

But god forbid butland take an extra 3 seconds at a penalty

4 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Aye turn his head pure exorcist style and bullet header it right back up the field 

Reality doesn't exist for some.

You'd have some crucifying Goldson for his mistakes yet would walk over hot coals to sign defenders who made massive mistakes against us in Europe.

17 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Aye turn his head pure exorcist style and bullet header it right back up the field 

Williamson you know what I mean mate. Head it anywhere that is not towards our goal. 

22 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

Williamson you know what I mean mate. Head it anywhere that is not towards our goal. 

That"s not what you said though. You said why didn't he head it back where it came from. Williamson rightly pointed out that was a physical impossibility. The ball was beyond him so he was facing his own goal when he got to it, and stretching.

ET couldn't have stretched his neck that far (to have been able to head it back up the park).

As i said earlier, he only had two options: - leave it, which Butland should have been screaming at him to do, or try and head if for a corner, which he tried and failed to do.

26 minutes ago, Rigamonti said:

That"s not what you said though. You said why didn't he head it back where it came from. Williamson rightly pointed out that was a physical impossibility. The ball was beyond him so he was facing his own goal when he got to it, and stretching.

ET couldn't have stretched his neck that far (to have been able to head it back up the park).

As i said earlier, he only had two options: - leave it, which Butland should have been screaming at him to do, or try and head if for a corner, which he tried and failed to do.

It is what I meant though. I agree that Butland should have been more vocal (if he wasn’t already) as he can see everything infront of him. 

4 hours ago, Rigamonti said:

If James Forrest was a centre back for us that wouldnt have went in.