***** The Official Benfica v Rangers Europa League Round of 16 Match Thread *****

10 hours ago, superallysbears said:

This might actually be good for the team, focus the heart's and mind's to a different challenge, wee bit time away from the league also should be welcomed as it's been almost constant since the winter break.

Agree. While all eyes are obviously on the domestic front for good reason, (big) if we can get some sort of result and a good performance on Thursday it would have a positive affect on the squad following the poor show on Saturday and the quite frankly dire first half against Killie. Another big if I know, but should we make it to the quarters then I can guarantee you that many a thought will start to be had about the possibility of Dublin even with the overriding importance of the domestic scene this season..

I feel like due to the injuries we have that this game is more of a distraction. Probably won't happen but I'd like to see us rotate in a way that we prioritise the next two Sundays instead.

Personally I'd go with.

Butland

Tav

Goldson

Davies

Barisic

Jack

Raskin

Sterling

Lawrence

Silva

Dessers

Lundstram looked fucked on Saturday and definitely needs a rest. If Balogun was in the Euro squad I'd drop Goldson also.

Butland 

Tav  Goldson Souttar Yilmaz

Sterling 

Lundstram Raskin

Lawrence 

Silva Dessers 

we have zero fit wide players so maybe a formation change is needed, could really do without these games tbh we are down to bare bones as it is without the added games. 

3 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Is it? I'd sacrifice the cup to get through to the last 8 tbh. 

Sacrifice the treble to get to the last 8? 

Nah not for me, only way I’d sacrifice the domestic treble would be for the other treble 

Anyway fuck that we’re winning the lot so no worries 😉

6 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

:britney:

Aye horrible team. But I’m firmly in the camp if we play our best 11 for another 4-6 matches in Europe,

We aren’t winning the league. Play that team and see if one or two can step up. 

Some guys already look flat in the last 2 matches. We can’t afford to lose more to injury and guys like Lundstrum and Tav have played almost twice a week since we returned post break. 

We’ve seen before the effect of Europe (back to back dropped points to Motherwell and Utd after the Dortmund fixtures etc)

1 minute ago, OrangeRab said:

Aye horrible team. But I’m firmly in the camp if we play our best 11 for another 4-6 matches in Europe,

We aren’t winning the league. Play that team and see if one or two can step up. 

Half the squad already look flat in the last 2 matches. We can’t afford to lose more to injury and guys like Lundstrum and Tav have played almost twice a week since we returned post break. 

We’ve seen before the effect of Europe (back to back dropped points to Motherwell and Utd after the Dortmund fixtures etc)

Can’t see Phil following your thinking. He will continue to rotate his starting 11 as he has always been doing but can’t see him choosing a completely weakened side and sacrificing any of the competitions 

19 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Can’t see Phil following your thinking. He will continue to rotate his starting 11 as he has always been doing but can’t see him choosing a completely weakened side and sacrificing any of the competitions 

Aye I’m sure he won’t. Just hope it doesn’t come back to bite us. (I don’t really see it as sacrificing because the chances of this team getting to the final are slim at best). But it’s risking our league chances