Running out of steam

The fixture load has finally caught up to this small squad.

Expecting Tav, Goldson and Lundstrum to play every game across 4 competitions with no drop off in performance is both stupid and ignorant to all the sports data science.

Expecting not to have an increase in injury rate is also naive.

The best manager in world football is bemoaning fatigue and injury list and talking about resting Rodri.

He’s played 1,000 less minutes than Tav for context.

celtic have really only had the league to focus on and rotate their squad a lot more. Their most played players have played significantly less than ours.

Can see us dropping more points as our key players look absolutely spent. And we’re still suffering from injuries. Having to start Dowell today out of position cost us. 

It's the manager's choice to not drop / rest them. Sterling could easily cover right back. Balogun could start over Goldson or him/King could have replaced him 2nd half in games. Lundsram  could have been rested for Sterling too 

Nah saying the ran out of steam is excuse making. Clement has had some poor starting 11s and too many of our squad can't be trusted to turn up 

Weak mentality, lack of taking responsibility, Beale leaving a cluster fuck and us not signing a CF in Jan are all more accurate reasons for us being where we are.

1 minute ago, Albertzz said:

Am not having any of that fuck sports science it’s a load of shit. Players of the past were fine without it.

Sadly it seems this approach is also shared by our medical and coaching team.

”In the good old days players could play 3 times a week and be fine”.

Meanwhile all the top clubs in the world manage player workloads and are aware of how important it is.

Or maybe Pep just talks about it for shits and giggles.

Either way just use your eyes. If you can’t see a drop off in performances in the key players who have played every minute, I can’t see for you.

For me it's a case of doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  I simply can't fathom why the last 5 or 6 managers in a row haven't thought "Hmm, Tavernier and Barisic are rather poor defenders costing us goals, maybe I'll try something different".

I don't think fixture congestion is a valid excuse for today, our last 8 games have spanned 6 weeks and in that time we've dropped 8 points from 12 in the league.

2 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

What fixture load?

a bullshit excuse for players that haven’t been good enough.

If there’s a reason that some are struggling it’s either that they’re past it or injury prone players who are always searching for match fitness.

Agreed. We are not in Europe and have had a weeks rest in the lead up to this game yet started the game looking like we played last night.

If its not physical then it's mental, regardless if you can't match the effort and running of Ross County then you don't deserve to play for Rangers.

Sadly these cunts know they can get away with it so don't really care what we think.

I just dont buy the 'running out of steam' nonsense that gets touted today. They play 2 games a week at most, its only very very rarely that players will be forced to play more, like the season we played something like 4 in 10 days or something. Its a mental thing for most of this squad, sure they can sometimes win when its not expected, but when the pressure of expectation is on them, time and time again they fuck it. 

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

What fixture load?

a bullshit excuse for players that haven’t been good enough.

If there’s a reason that some are struggling it’s either that they’re past it or injury prone players who are always searching for match fitness.

The one where Tavernier has played almost a thousand more minutes than any other full back? That one?

Very few clubs are competing on four fronts. And the ones that do manage the workload of their players far differently than we do.

You can argue that it has no effect (and go against the prevailing belief and science at all the top clubs).

But the stats don’t line. Tavernier has played an insane amount of minutes and metres covered.

At 32 folk are just head in the sand if they don’t think that catches up with you

2 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Sadly it seems this approach is also shared by our medical and coaching team.

”In the good old days players could play 3 times a week and be fine”.

Meanwhile all the top clubs in the world manage player workloads and are aware of how important it is.

Or maybe Pep just talks about it for shits and giggles.

Either way just use your eyes. If you can’t see a drop off in performances in the key players who have played every minute, I can’t see for you.

Pep has a squad or world class players ffs it’s easy to chop and change every player when you have that kind of talent pool. 

the fact of the matter is these players ain’t good enough it’s nothing to do with dropping off as fatigue sets in. 

just another excuse for them. 

Just now, psb07158 said:

With all due respect mate, have you seen the level of the game they’re playing at versus us? Playing PL and CL with that style of play under those demands is very very different to playing in Scotland

Our squad players should have enough quality in the tank to beat the team 2nd bottom in the league

The thing is though. They do. It’s not a quality problem. We all know we have more quality than Ross County.

So if its not quality then it’s something affecting our performance levels.

I can’t for the life of me why folk think that Tavernier is expected to be super human and have no drop off in performance level. 

You literally have the best manager in the world saying it’s a problem. All the sports science acknowledges it. Talk of resting Rodri who has played far far less than Tav.

And folk don’t think that a 32 yr RB who has played more minutes than any other full back in Europe and we ask to get up and down the park all day. Won’t drop off in levels.

It's not a small squad, but If anything, I'm against rotation at the back end of a season. Play the strongest squad to get over the line.

Bringing in players like Dowell & Wright who are not match-fit fit was a huge and miscalculated gamble.

Sure, Pep can keep De Bruyne on the bench, but we are not Man C.

3 minutes ago, Albertzz said:

Pep has a squad or world class players ffs it’s easy to chop and change every player when you have that kind of talent pool. 

the fact of the matter is these players ain’t good enough it’s nothing to do with dropping off as fatigue sets in. 

just another excuse for them. 

Aye that’s my point. They build  big squad not because they fancy paying extra wages.

They do it so they can compete on multiple fronts. So they can rest and rotate players and keep them fresh and at their peak levels.

Our squad is too small to do it. You see the drop off when Yilmaz or Diomande gets injured.

4 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

The one where Tavernier has played almost a thousand more minutes than any other full back? That one?

Very few clubs are competing on four fronts. And the ones that do manage the workload of their players far differently than we do.

You can argue that it has no effect (and go against the prevailing belief and science at all the top clubs).

But the stats don’t line. Tavernier has played an insane amount of minutes and metres covered.

At 32 folk are just head in the sand if they don’t think that catches up with you

We signed Sterling to give Tav a rest but I only remember us using him there once or twice. 

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Tavernier, Goldson and Lundstram get week breaks every single international break, get 2/3 weeks in December too. 

And they’ve still played more minutes than any other player. 

Also this nonsense that you can play twice a week for months straight. And then a week off and you’re back to your best is comically off the mark.

Its not how it works

46 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

The fixture load has finally caught up to this small squad.

Expecting Tav, Goldson and Lundstrum to play every game across 4 competitions with no drop off in performance is both stupid and ignorant to all the sports data science.

Expecting not to have an increase in injury rate is also naive.

The best manager in world football is bemoaning fatigue and injury list and talking about resting Rodri.

He’s played 1,000 less minutes than Tav for context.

celtic have really only had the league to focus on and rotate their squad a lot more. Their most played players have played significantly less than ours.

Can see us dropping more points as our key players look absolutely spent. And we’re still suffering from injuries. Having to start Dowell today out of position cost us. 

Feeble, pathetic,bullshit, loser excuses.

1 minute ago, OrangeRab said:

The thing is though. They do. It’s not a quality problem. We all know we have more quality than Ross County.

So if its not quality then it’s something affecting our performance levels.

I can’t for the life of me why folk think that Tavernier is expected to be super human and have no drop off in performance level. 

You literally have the best manager in the world saying it’s a problem. All the sports science acknowledges it. Talk of resting Rodri who has played far far less than Tav.

And folk don’t think that a 32 yr RB who has played more minutes than any other full back in Europe and we ask to get up and down the park all day. Won’t drop off in levels.

If his levels drop then don't play him or at worst sub him. We have Sterling who is full of running and effort on the bench.

We couldn't match the effort levels to a club fighting relegation all season. Blaming it on fixture lists and fatigue is bogging especially when we have had a week of no football.