Tonight's performance

King_gazza

Great to get a win. Solid enough at the back. Lack of composure in midfield. Took too long to lift the head and spread the play wide to feed Kent in acres of space. Hopefully come as team gels and sharpens up. Glad to see Morelos get a goal. Worked his socks off and can be pleased with his performance. Team will improve so quietly optimistic going forward.

4 minutes ago, Rupret said:

Where are all the Doom and Gloom merchants from last the last tie?

Job half done, but I've been impressed with Mr Gerrards tactics so far.

Some are still whinging on the match thread 

44 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

We will get better as a team. Not enough possession for my liking. Still missing something in the midfield. Four clean sheets ( including Bury ) is impressive and whoever shouted out at Goldson for captain is spot on !!

:hiboys:

42 minutes ago, JukeBoxJohn said:

Can't argue with the result but the lack of creativity is worrying and the defending is still shaky at times. If Gerrard doesn't bring in a prolific striker and experienced, creative midfielder we're going to struggle this season. A new right back would be ideal also. 

Early days of course and to be fair even under Walter we created fuck all in European games but it's still a worry for me. 

Creativity from the midfield is the biggest problem for us the past few years. 

Morelos gets a lot of shit for his sitters, but looking back on those games, and most of the others last season, he would have one chance provided by the midfield each game which isn't good enough.

I don't think we will find a better striker to play up top on their own than him (if he plays the way he did tonight), so should concentrate on the midfield. Do need back ups though, as even from YouTube best part highlights, Sadiq doesn't look like a goalscorer. 

12 minutes ago, Rupret said:

Where are all the Doom and Gloom merchants from last the last tie?

Job half done, but I've been impressed with Mr Gerrards tactics so far.

Building (and investing) from the back, whilst supplementing the midfield with quality looking loans, exactly what we should be doing right now. 

Don't care how we win, as long as we do. 

Won't be putting any of our games over 2.5 this season though

58 minutes ago, Amac9 said:

If that is Kent playing out of his skin then I'd hate to see him having a mare.

Game didn't suit him at all tonight.

First half made some great runs on the left and not one of our midfield players spotted him or he's fell out with the squad and no one will pass to him, decent debut considering he hadn't met any of his team-mates till a few days ago. 

I wasn't really able to see the whole game, so I have no idea how the flow of the game went or how individual players were doing. But I'd have bitten your hand off for that score. 

What worries me though, is the way we sit back and let teams come to us. We don't have players with the skill to keep the ball and get out of trouble if we're caught in possession. Still think we should try & play higher up the pitch. Still, can't argue with that tonight. Great result!! 

2 hours ago, Siam69 said:

Bar the first 20 mins of the 2nd half, felt the same. 

Great to have confidence in your keeper as well. 

Must admit I still get worried at corners and find myself still shouting ma head aff for us to clear it. The Russell martin effect will be around a while yet:lol: