Gerrard : Post Match Reaction

Virtuoso

Too often though too many players don't deliver what he wants,and it's often the majority rather than odd one or two. He needs to look at why that is and sort it out. Quickly.

Either he's just not capable of lifting them and getting performances out them, or they're simply not good enough and he needs to address it urgently come the window.

If he can't, won't or doesnt fix it so that they deliver on his instructions, he'll be the one it'll cost. I really like listening to him, but it can't just be words, it needs to be acted upon so we're not continually chasing games or dropping points.

That’s exactly the type of reaction I want our manager to have after a performance like today

no papering over the cracks because we won, he didn’t celebrate cos he was so gutted at the 1st half showing, I know he’s only placing the demands on the players that we all expect but it wasn’t happening before

Whats wrong with Arfield? I know his ban is obviously over, but I haven't heard anything about him being injured. We badly need him back in the side. Hopefully Wallace can find the form we know he had. He's been out for a long time though, 2 years I think. So will need to get his match sharpness up quick. We can't have a shite right back playing there while Barasic is out AGAIN. Hopefully he isn't another Rossiter...

2 minutes ago, saintbob1969 said:

I don't think giving them a hairdryer makes a blind bit of difference because, if we are to believe him, he's done this a few times now, and there really hasn't been much of an improvement.

He hinted that that was what he done at half time. I imagine that the boo's played a part too... 

He must be sick and tired of going in to the dressing room at half time raging. How many boots up the arse do these players need. 

I wouldn't be smiling after that today either because the reality is we got off lightly. That was a game that easily could have been lost and although the 3 points are without doubt the most important thing today our recent performances must be giving him huge concern. 

1 hour ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Whats wrong with Arfield? I know his ban is obviously over, but I haven't heard anything about him being injured. We badly need him back in the side. Hopefully Wallace can find the form we know he had. He's been out for a long time though, 2 years I think. So will need to get his match sharpness up quick. We can't have a shite right back playing there while Barasic is out AGAIN. Hopefully he isn't another Rossiter...

Tweaked his hamstring against hibs on wednesday was never going to be risked for this game. Very worrying how poor we can become in midfield without him being there.

2 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I think Stevie G needs to lift them, on BT Sports he really focused on that first half performance - the players dug it out today and deserve a wee pat on the back ahead of 2 big games. 

Grezda and Coulibaly must be worried, and rightly so. 

I doubt Coulibaly worries about fuck all. He just doesn't give a fuck and he should get to fuck. Get an honest player in their who gives his all. McCrory and Arfield for me.in the middle of the park.

For this game and maybe too for the next 2 games a bit more of the managerial 'now get this' stick (boots up proverbial arses and 1-1s where the meaning of football life at Rangers is transmitted in graphic detail), and less of the cuddly carrot routine of general praise recognising the amount of games that players have been required to deal with since the season started.  

The next 2 games are vital to provide the platform needed for the 2nd (and business end) part of the season which - when it ends - will define these players.   A couple of games where there is no room whatsoever for passengers, where total commitment and concentration is needed for the full length of these games, where players need to back themselves individually and collectively as a team and perform to their highest levels to get 3 points from each game.  

And then they can get a rest and recharge with the team being in a great position for the 2nd part of the season.   And the DoF can do his job and find another striker that can come in and instantly make an instant and lasting impact by scoring goals, and find a midfield player who can make an instant and lasting impact by unlocking packed defences.

But for these next 2 vitally important games a bit more of a managerial growl could be needed before and during games to extract the very best out of the side.    Besides which if the team is to mount a proper - and winning - challenge for the title they are going to have to find reserves of football ability, mental will to win, and resilience that they probably do not know they have but which SG - as a former winner at the highest levels - will know exists in players but which needs to be found by the players.    The winners' extra mile beyond the extra mile for just competing well.  

2 hours ago, GA1972 said:

Would like him to be more positive at least in public

We all know the performance was shocking but publicly criticising the players hasn’t worked so far and if he continues doing it he’s in danger of becoming Mourinho like 

Mourinho like. Feck off.