Best transfer window we’ve ever had

Something different for you all to try...

What (in your opinion) was the best transfer window we ever had and why in your living memory?

Transfer windows didn’t really come into force until 2002, as previously you could sign players whenever you wanted. So 2002 onwards, which window do you think was the best/most important we as a club have had?

I’d say this summer was the most important or summer 2008. 2008 probably just shades it, because we would then not be able to sign players for 2-3 years afterwards. We brought in the nucleus of that 3 in a row side, with the likes of Bougherra, Davis, Mendes, Miller, Lafferty all brought in and staying for at least 2+ years

When Barry Ferguson rejoined the club that was a good one.

Also under big eck when we signed Fanfan, Hemdani, Rodriguez, all free and on paper looked like cracking signings.

Worst one was when we signed Emerson, ostenstad, eggem, after selling Barry that summer we made some desperate signings.

I can't remember transfer windows specifically and who we signed, but Weir would have been a major signing, and Bougherra.

See Kevin Muscat played for us 2002-2003 and its strange cause I can't remember him at all. Must have been on the piss that whole year :beer:plus I had to give up my season ticket after 2001-2002 season. The only player in my time I have no recollection of playing for us :lol:

Just now, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

I can't remember transfer windows specifically and who we signed, but Weir would have been a major signing, and Bougherra.

See Kevin Muscat played for us 2002-2003 and its strange cause I can't remember him at all. Must have been on the piss that whole year :beer:plus I had to give up my season ticket after 2001-2002 season. The only player in my time I have no recollection of playing for us :lol:

Tbf his time with us was quite low key compared to his career in England where he broke legs and started mass brawls in games regularly, definitely one of ecks better signings, good back up for Ricksen.

January 2005 was a good bit of business . 

After signing Boumsong on a free at the start of the season , we sold him 6 months later for £8.5M . 

That fee paid for the return of Barry Ferguson ( £4.5M ) and the signings of Thomas Buffet ( £2.5M ) , Ronald Wattereus ( £100K ) and the loan of Kyrgiakos , who all played a part on winning the league that season . 

The Le Guen time was really exciting until we actually started playing games. 

It really was so much better when you turned the paper to the back page to see who we were linked with. Rather than a post on social media

1 hour ago, gmcf said:

January 2005 was a good bit of business . 

After signing Boumsong on a free at the start of the season , we sold him 6 months later for £8.5M . 

That fee paid for the return of Barry Ferguson ( £4.5M ) and the signings of Thomas Buffet ( £2.5M ) , Ronald Wattereus ( £100K ) and the loan of Kyrgiakos , who all played a part on winning the league that season . 

If we got they four from the sale of Boumsong, good business. Wanted Ferguson back and the other three were good players for us. Personally I didn't rate Boumsong that highly. 

4 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Advocaats first season since there was no window is unbeatable for me.

Built an entire side from the ground up and won the title.

Numan, Amato, van Bronckhorst, Kanchelskis, Charbonnier, Wallace, Hendry, McCann, Guivarc'h, Klos, Moore and Reyna.

Charbonnier was quite underrated from memory. Thought he was a great keeper, when Klos (I think it was) was out injured. 

2 hours ago, dazzareyes said:

1998, Charbonnier, Numan, Van Bronckhorst, Wallace, Kanchelskis and Amato takes some beating. 

We didn't do too badly the season before either: Amoruso, Vidmar, Porrini, Negri, Gattuso, Niemi, Johansson. Didn't win us the league right enough, but cracking players all the same!

4 minutes ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Charbonnier was quite underrated from memory. Thought he was a great keeper, when Klos (I think it was) was out injured. 

Charbonnier got injured so we ended up buying Klos to cover for him. He was a fucking superb keeper and had that 'give zero fucks' look about him.

2 hours ago, dazzareyes said:

1998, Charbonnier, Numan, Van Bronckhorst, Wallace, Kanchelskis and Amato takes some beating. 

Outside the OP's time frame, but it's still the right answer.

I can't really take allot of the Adovcaat windows that serious, he had loads of money he spent a load of money, great 

summer 2018/19 would be up there - Arfield, McGregor, Goldson, Borna - pretty much put the pillars of our team in place in one window. 

summer 2010/11 it would have been easy for Smith to gamble on 4 players at 1 million to try and pad out a paper thin squad, going balls in with Jelavic was game changing that season. 

summer 2004/05 probably the best though, Rae, Andrews, Novo were incredible business - chuck in Prso and Boumsong - changed a team around in one window from weak as fuck, to mentally strong bastards 

3 hours ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Weir, Ehigou and Thomson signed the winter of 06/07 when Walter came back, we booted wee sand dancer Clement, Buzz Lightyear heided J Rod and cheese string wristed Letizi, it was a decent window. 

04/05 was very good, very rewarding.

Only real flop was Dragan Mladenovic.

Successes included Prso, Novo, Rae, Andrews, Boumsong and Vignal. All for very little outlay for a skint club!

Loved it, especially after the total failure that was 03/04.