So What is the Difference?

The Ibrox Derry

3 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

Gerrard had 2 of his back 4 playing as wingers for most of the match, hardly cautious.

And many games with two sometimes three defensive/holding midfielders across the midfield

Hardly any shots outside the box 

How often did Tav and Barasic cross a ball to virtually nobody in the box?
  He was cautious there’s no doubt 

4 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

It amazes me how so many fans slaughter Gerrard for losing his enthusiasm and drive, when we, the fans, also took succes for granted. We came to just expect European success. Ibrox has been like a library this season on European nights, whereas when we played Legia and Rapid Vienna a few years back the place was bouncing. We are slagging a scouser for losing his mojo when we all did exactly the same.

Gio is in, freshened things up. Tweaked the team to play wider and the full backs to play more defensively. It is working just now and hopefully delivers the title. But just as teams eventually worked out how to play against Gerrard'a side, they'll eventually work out how to play against Gio's side, I'd guess that they'll work that out even quicker as there is not as much interchanging of positions. 

Gerard was the one who said they need to keep going and improving. There was so much more to achieve. He messed up badly with the Champions League and from there he lost interest which was obviously passed onto the team. Huge failure in management.

The difference in teams working Gio out is that he is willing and able to change his tactics as we have already seen. Gerards style was stale and predictable. 

32 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

Nobody was saying he was cautious when we were running a mock last season. The 3x CDMs is pointed out as a criticism a lot but the point of them was to drop in and cover the full backs to go forward. For the most part it worked.

However, i agree this season all our attacking play was robotic, slow and predictable.

Just don't like how so many are so quick to disregard SG's efforst and hail GVB as the new messiah. Folk are far too quick to paint everything as black and white.

Disagree.

There were plenty of complaints near the start of the season about playing 3 DMs, Alfie dropping deep and our wingers not stretching the game. There were also plenty of ugly 1-0s (not complaining as 3 points is all that matters).

He is cautious, and I think Beale is a very clever guy, but is also a bit of an over thinker too. 

I’m not disregarding what he did, it’s absolutely what we needed at that point, but we can also acknowledge his and his teams flaws. And as unpalatable as it is, as it stands they’re still just a one hit wonder. 

5 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

After 3 years you've learned a job inside out and you start cutting corners and regressing. It will no doubt also happen with Gio in time.

It amazes me how so many fans slaughter Gerrard for losing his enthusiasm and drive, when we, the fans, also took succes for granted. We came to just expect European success. Ibrox has been like a library this season on European nights, whereas when we played Legia and Rapid Vienna a few years back the place was bouncing. We are slagging a scouser for losing his mojo when we all did exactly the same.

"Learned a job inside out" yet had only one trophy to show for it, superb. 

I don't know anybody that lost their "mojo" after winning the league last season, absolutely mental take that :lol:

6 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

Complete bollox 

firstly what fucking success have we taken for granted when we’ve won one trophy in a decade

and we are right to give ANYONE pelters for losing their mojo.  We pay the majority of their fucking wages and expect them to give 100% and when they don’t we rightly let them know. 

blaming fans? Away and pish the bed.  

2 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

The cup record was pish. But Celtic were that far in front when he took over that he performed miracles to get 55. 

No he never. They were pish and ripe for the taking.  They won the league by 12 and 9 points and were gifted a title curtesy of a pandemic.

It was a case of “no decent challenge” 

hardly a miraculous intervention. 

Think the fans can be forgiven for the letting go of ten years of complete angst and turmoil, it was a long time coming and having climbed the mountain we were always going to have a bit of a crash at some point, the fact we're still top and coming back into form, (some could argue that we never lost it) coupled with the loss of the manger, we are doing fine, I also think that had Gerrard gone into this seasons CL qaulifiers with the same vigorous mentality that we'd seen previously instead of having a gripe about not getting more players, then we might have made it.

40 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

The cup record was pish. But Celtic were that far in front when he took over that he performed miracles to get 55. 

We won the league last season with 102 points, undefeated. 

Some miracle that is. 

29 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

The atmosphere at this seasons European games (other than Malmo) has been non existent.

IMO it's been pish because the balloon was burst with Malmö, we should've been playing CL football. 

14 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

That's my point. Who could ever have imagined when he took over than within 3 seasons he could build a side capable of performing with that level of consistency? 

So they "one trophy in 9" accusations are nonsense. Its not taking into any consideration how far behind Rangers were when he took over.

It's not nonsense, the fact is he won one in 9.

Lets not rewrite history either, he's lucky the season before last was binned as well. 

6 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

Winning 1/9 with what he inherited is an amazing success.

St Johnstone won 2 from 3 under Callum Davidson, if you think 1 from 9 is amazing what do you think that is?

3 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

No bad, but an element of good fortune and not much consolation in the short term if they get relegated at the end of this season.

I wouldn't swap last year's league for all 6 cups he could have won.

1 out of 9 is amazing

2 out of 3 is no bad

You really do just take the contrary view on here don't you?

Just now, DBBTB said:

I’m a lot more positive towards Gerrard than a lot of people are since he left, but he got handed the biggest open goal a Rangers manager is ever likely to get to win a treble last season and blew it spectacularly. 

And was given more leeway than any other Rangers manager would get in terms of lack of domestic success.