So What is the Difference?

The Ibrox Derry

8 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Bodies in the box, players running beyond the striker. 

Gerrard’s system was great for games such as OFs & in Europe hence getting a lot of success in it but it was far too cautious for run of the mill SPFL games. 

He also stated many times that he wanted players such as Aribo, Kent, Jack and Write to get into goal scoring positions as well as our full backs playing like wingers.

Hardly a far too cautious approach.

1 hour ago, Real Ranger said:

When SG left we were still top of the league by 4 points, in the cup semi final and 1 victory from the knockout stages of the Europa league.
Sure the players haven’t performed to the same standards but also no one was saying last season Gerrard prevented the players from from expressing themselves, he actively encouraged it and in March we all thought Gerrard and his staff were heroes that we hoped would be here for years to come.

He did mention his frustration that he hadn’t been given a transfer budget that he felt was needed to keep the team progressing. This may have made his decision to head back to the mega rich EPL a bit easier. 

Like every supporter I hope the return to form continues and Gio will continue to keep us at the top but SG deserves great credit for what he achieved in his time. He got Rangers back to where we belong.

SG deserves credit for what he did but he threw his teddy out when he wasn’t given the funds he asked for.  He still had basically the same squad that had strolled to 55, and should have been able to work with the current squad.  His limitations were exposed and he jumped ship.  In s short time Gio has got the current squad doing what SG should have been doing.

29 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

He also stated many times that he wanted players such as Aribo, Kent, Jack and Write to get into goal scoring positions as well as our full backs playing like wingers.

Hardly a far too cautious approach.

Wanted CMs to cover fullbacks and a CF to play in midfield though. And usually had 2 (or 3) holding midfielders in bog standard league games. 

16 minutes ago, andyhrfc said:

SG deserves credit for what he did but he threw his teddy out when he wasn’t given the funds he asked for.  He still had basically the same squad that had strolled to 55, and should have been able to work with the current squad.  His limitations were exposed and he jumped ship.  In s short time Gio has got the current squad doing what SG should have been doing.

Wins the league in Scotland going unbeaten but realises he has limitations so takes the easy option by joining Aston Villa competing in the best league in the world. Not for me. 
I sincerely hope the positive impact Gio has had continues but it’s very early days and as Scott Arfield pointed out at the press conference, teams tend to get an intitial boost when new managers come in the world over. He also pointed out the same thing has happened to Villa with the appointment of SG with all his limitations.

22 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Wanted CMs to cover fullbacks and a CF to play in midfield though. And usually had 2 (or 3) holding midfielders in bog standard league games. 

Last season in the league we scored 92 goals with 17 different scorers. 
The midfielders covered for our rampaging full backs. 

6 hours ago, KingKirk said:

55 took it emotionally and physically out of everyone mate, I stand by it. A change was needed to refresh everyone. 

Fuck off with that birthday card pish.  This is Rangers. Winning is what we do, what we’ve always done. Anyone that was still so emotional about one title win by the start of this season is no real Rangers fan imo. 

30 minutes ago, SPWF said:

Fuck off with that birthday card pish.  This is Rangers. Winning is what we do, what we’ve always done. Anyone that was still so emotional about one title win by the start of this season is no real Rangers fan imo. 

55 was about as high as we will get, with everything that built up to it over the last 10 years and lockdown and all the rest. We had cunts swinging from the lampposts outside Ibrox. Never seen anything like it apart from Manchester. 

Not that at Rangers 56 isn’t huge, but 55 was something else. After fucking CL against Malmo the whole club felt a bit flat. 

He brings calmness and confidence to our team. Feels like he has been here for ages.

I would note that although we should have scored a few more yesterday, we could have conceded a good few. Had 1 or 2 went in then I'm sure there would be a concern on the defence. But we were due some luck after every shot was going in under Gerrard.

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Nonsense. 

I don’t think it is as black and white as that. 

The management team had become ‘complacent’ I think was the word Arfield used, and football teams constantly need new blood or they stagnate. 

Not necessarily just 55 that caused it, but there was a wee bit of Everest syndrome before Gio IMO. 

The biggest difference is we are stretching the game. Our wide men are making the pitch as big as possible, which then helps runners off the ball to find space in behind. Our wide men now have the option of cutting inside or going down the line, our fullbacks are a bit more reserved but offer an overlap when the ball is on that side. 

Under Gerrard everything was far too congested in the middle of the park. Our forward would drop deep, our wide players would play narrow and we had 3 central midfielders, that's 6 players that could be covered with a blanket!! Then the opposition would sit in with 10 men behind the ball and there was nowhere to run. 

36 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

The biggest difference is we are stretching the game. Our wide men are making the pitch as big as possible, which then helps runners off the ball to find space in behind. Our wide men now have the option of cutting inside or going down the line, our fullbacks are a bit more reserved but offer an overlap when the ball is on that side. 

Under Gerrard everything was far too congested in the middle of the park. Our forward would drop deep, our wide players would play narrow and we had 3 central midfielders, that's 6 players that could be covered with a blanket!! Then the opposition would sit in with 10 men behind the ball and there was nowhere to run. 

Its why the runners you mention ie Arfield and Aribo are really showing up well in this formation.

We look a lot more difficult to figure out. Things stagnated under that other manager and we had one style of play. Now we seem to have more dimensions. Full backs are playing more defensive. Midfielders have more freedom. I actually think we look easier to get at just now and teams will create chances but our attacking style has more fluency and overall we look better.

I think being honest we hadn't got going yet, too many games we clearly under performed so was obvious we were going to look good at some point.

I'm not sure I'm ready to give Gio that kind of credit yet tbh....delighted we have him, delighted on his start but I dont think its all down to that 

Gio has the experience of playing in this league before and knows exactly what we’re up against with every team we play treating a game against us as a cup final.

He knows a lot of the time there’s battles to be won first before the tippy tappy pretty football can be played. He’s smart enough to mix it up a bit if that’s what’s required. There’s no shame in getting up the park in two passes rather than twenty if that’s what’s going to work.

On 13/12/2021 at 01:39, KingKirk said:

55 took it emotionally and physically out of everyone mate, I stand by it. A change was needed to refresh everyone. 

Not for me personally I want more and I want us to win this season to start putting our foot firmly on their neck again with the champions league money. 

On 13/12/2021 at 09:05, SPWF said:

Don’t get me wrong, I was as emotional as anyone when we won 55, but once this season started it’s in the past. All about the current season now. That’s the attitude this club is built on, that relentless drive for trophies. Let’s leave reliving and dwelling on one win for the the jobber clubs. 

I think you can see Hagi express his frustrations about this in the post match vs Brondby. His reaction after that game spoke volumes for how the dressing room was feeling about a lack of progress from last season.

I don’t think there’s any argument now that Gerrard becoming disinterested and jaded is primarily responsible for that.

The opening goal against hearts doesn't happen if kent is inside and goldsons ball goes out to barisic instead (which it likely would have under gerrard) 

Theres your difference, kent and sakala will beat EVERY fullback over 90mins in the league, barisic and tav dont have their ball running abilities, 

I always remember Amoruso saying after we lost 10 in a row that Murray shouldn't have revealed during the season that Walter was away at its end presumably because players at some level down tools when they realise the manager isn't going to be there for the long haul ... and the current players obviously realised that Gerrard was no longer as committed as he had once been