So What is the Difference?

The Ibrox Derry

Gio has recognised that we were leaking goals so has sought to stop that first and foremost. Heā€™s curtailed the full backs and brought Bassey more centrally and to some extent it has worked. Itā€™s clear though we need another defender. Ā To counter the loss of the attacking fullbacks heā€™s pushed Kent/Aribo etc wider and further forward. Ā It seems to have worked so far. Itā€™s important to realise though that nothing has changed points wise in the league.Ā 

13 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

The most interesting thing is that we still have spells in games where we arenā€™t playing that well.

We seem to start games well, then revert to type for a bit and lose control of games slightly.Ā Thankfully weā€™ve been getting off with itĀ but itā€™s going to be great to see what we become over a full 90 minutes which will happen as Gio spends more time working with the team and implementing his ideas.

Tend to agree with this. A decent team puts a few goals past us today.

Listened to a Dutch guy talking about Gio when he first came in. The interview gave me the fear to be honest. He painted a picture of a very defensive set up with slow paced football.Ā 
Ā 

Weā€™ve seen some nice attacking football already under Gio to ease any fears I had.

But itā€™s clear that if we have the lead he is going to be happy at times for us to fall back a bit and just hold on to what weā€™ve got which I think is essentially what that Dutch guy was on about.Ā 

6 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Tend to agree with this. A decent team puts a few goals past us today.

Being quick out the blocks has helped us massively too. Hopefully thatā€™s something we carry on with because today and against Livingston weā€™ve basically won the game within 20 minutes.

1 minute ago, LaaRFC said:

Listened to a Dutch guy talking about Gio when he first came in. The interview gave me the fear to be honest. He painted a picture of a very defensive set up with slow paced football.Ā 
Ā 

Weā€™ve seen some nice attacking football already under Gio to ease any fears I had.

But itā€™s clear that if we have the lead he is going to be happy at times for us to fall back a bit and just hold on to what weā€™ve got which I think is essentially what that Dutch guy was on about.Ā 

That maybe true but under Gio the lead will be a lead of more than one goal, thank fuckšŸ˜ƒ

9 minutes ago, LaaRFC said:

Ā 

Thereā€™s a difference in what a Dutchman thinks is defensive and what a Scotsman does šŸ˜

36 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Being quick out the blocks has helped us massively too. Hopefully thatā€™s something we carry on with because today and against Livingston weā€™ve basically won the game within 20 minutes.

Kind of reminds me of Liverpoolā€™s side under Rodgers the year they came close to the title. Nearly all games they won they blitzed the opposition in the first 10 or 15.

1 hour ago, Real Ranger said:

When SG left we were still top of the league by 4 points, in the cup semi final and 1 victory from the knockout stages of the Europa league.
Sure the players havenā€™t performed to the same standards but also no one was saying last season Gerrard prevented the players from from expressing themselves, he actively encouraged it and in March we all thought Gerrard and his staff were heroes that we hoped would be here for years to come.

He did mention his frustration that he hadnā€™t been given a transfer budget that he felt was needed to keep the team progressing. This may have made his decision to head back to the mega rich EPL a bit easier.Ā 

Like every supporter I hope the return to form continues and Gio will continue to keep us at the top but SG deserves great credit for what he achieved in his time. He got Rangers back to where we belong.

He wanted a transfer budget to spend on Kevin Nisbet lol. To go in that much of a huff you stink the whole place out is a mark of the man who is media trained out his banger. Not one word he said do I believeĀ 

He was backed to the tune of Ā£30m, one league title was the absolute minimum requirement.

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

A lot of it down to a new manager who wants to be here but tactically players have much more of an ability to express themselves. Gerrardā€™s system was far too over complicated imo.

Bodies in the box, players running beyond the striker.Ā 

Gerrardā€™s system was great for games such as OFs & in Europe hence getting a lot of success in it but it was far too cautious for run of the mill SPFL games.Ā