Jon McLaughlin

DiamondDan

• Creampuff changed the title to Jon McLaughlin

It’s not just about goalkeeping it’s in the mind playing in a big team.

Look at someone like Foderingham he’s been absolutely outstanding for Sheffield Utd in the last couple of years and us in the championship but you need something else to be a starter for us

Hes not played regular first team football since before Covid. To think he’s now going to be number one at a club like ours in the champions league is hugely risk. McGregor cost us lots of points last season and is now a year older. The fact we didn’t invest in a young top class goalkeeper is criminal 

19 hours ago, Madina said:

Almost 24 hours on from his horror show, and I still find no goodwill towards him. Anyone who spells John as Jon is worth a watch anyway 

To be fair his name is Jonathan. You wouldn't spell it Johnathan so no point adding in an "h" when shortening his name. Putting in a random "h" where it doesn't belong is for the other half of Glasgow and odd behaviour. 

Gritted my teeth and watched the highlights closely. 
McLaughlin should have saved three of the four and possibly all four. His distribution was suspect too

his howler was fucking horrendous. Sands and Goldson run wide for the out ball as per and they were lightning at baring down. Davis therefore comes between the strikers for the out ball and McLaughlin instead of sensing the danger and lashing it forward weakly passes it in the general direction of Davis. 

sorry about the commentary there but why the fuck instruct two CB’s to go wide almost in line with McLaughlin knowing all game they were high pressing. 
can’t our players use a bit of intelligence ffs. 

I am therefore still fucking beeling. 

14 hours ago, Ben10 said:

It was a Barthez-esque performance, I did blame him for all the goals, not for the result. Call me crazy but there were stages in that game where I thought we performed better than we did the last time we won there. No panic state here.

It was a Bartsimpson-esque performance.

30 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

McLaughlin should have saved three of the four and possibly all four. His distribution was suspect too

his howler was fucking horrendous. Sands and Goldson run wide for the out ball as per and they were lightning at baring down. Davis therefore comes between the strikers for the out ball and McLaughlin instead of sensing the danger and lashing it forward weakly passes it in the general direction of Davis. 

sorry about the commentary there but why the fuck instruct two CB’s to go wide almost in line with McLaughlin knowing all game they were high pressing. 

I didn’t need to watch the highlights to notice what you did .First he should have saved .One of those ones if the goalie saves it ,It isn’t a great save it’s one they should get .2nd there is a case for not coming out quick enough but maybe that’s picky ,I choose to be picky here then .3rd through the legs ,shouldn’t happen it’s embarrassing and the 4th well ,no comment is needed .especially when his distribution is meant to be one of his qualities .

29 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Our game intelligence is shocking at times.

Few things irk me about that fourth goal. I'm not a fan of the cb taking goal kicks.

1. If you have a cb taking it and it isn't being launched up the park, you have taken away a passing option. 

2. Passing the ball directly to the keeper is an open invite for pressure, especially if that keeper isn't great with the ball at his feet.

3. Launch the ball up the park when pressed that way.

All four goals imo were avoidable and our own making. The Jota goal, one of the three players near the free kick stands in front of the ball and takes the booking, that doesn't happen. 

We switch off way too often at set plays and throw ins too. It was a shambles defensively tbh.

Should have been obvious to anyone at the club with half a brain we needed to replace McGregor. It’s pretty darn easy to assess keepers:

Time finally caught up with him. He went from 85% save percentage during 55 to 65% last year. 

Mclaughlin played 8 full games last season. His save % was 60%. It’s dropped down to 50% this season.

So how can anyone at the club think it’s acceptable to start the season with  2 of the worst performing keepers in the league. With save % of 65 and 60%. Making them only superior to Joe Lewis.

Keeper is a position you traditionally haven’t had to shell out a load of cash for. Siegrist was available for free. He’s averaged 75% the last 2 years. Gordon 77. Hart 73. All free.

Ffs McLaughlin in his last 14 games is dead last in the league. Have to go back 2 years to find a keeper with a worse record.

Not like he makes up for his awful shot stopping with world class distribution and leadership. 

13 minutes ago, nik2402 said:

We’ve gone so far backwards in our goalkeeping position that Wes Fotheringham would be our 1st choice keeper if he was here. It’s fucking grim.

Was thinking about Wes a we while back ,Defo agree he would be a better No1 than the one we have now .

The keeper was getting pellets early in the season ,I didn’t jump in as I felt it was only the 1st leg in Belgium that he was poor ,But Saturday was disgusting ,Truly disgusting .

9 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

I didn’t need to watch the highlights to notice what you did .First he should have saved .One of those ones if the goalie saves it ,It isn’t a great save it’s one they should get .2nd there is a case for not coming out quick enough but maybe that’s picky ,I choose to be picky here then .3rd through the legs ,shouldn’t happen it’s embarrassing and the 4th well ,no comment is needed .especially when his distribution is meant to be one of his qualities .

Regarding the second; good keepers make themselves big instead of flopping to his knees. The Boyle goal showed his weakness there as well. His reactions are slow and decision making suspect and he will keep losing us points but I doubt Gio will drop him.

46 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Watched the highlights as well the fourth is shocking and amateur as fuck. The first sets the tone his position for the second is all over the place and he gets nutmegged for the third. It's got to be the end for him. Seems a nice guy but is way off being a Rangers no1. 

51 minutes ago, GWR1979 said:

Watched the highlights as well the fourth is shocking and amateur as fuck. The first sets the tone his position for the second is all over the place and he gets nutmegged for the third. It's got to be the end for him. Seems a nice guy but is way off being a Rangers no1. 

He’s never experienced an onslaught like that before. He failed miserably 

He should be dropped for the fourth goal alone 

1 hour ago, docspiderman said:

Regarding the second; good keepers make themselves big instead of flopping to his knees. The Boyle goal showed his weakness there as well. His reactions are slow and decision making suspect and he will keep losing us points but I doubt Gio will drop him.

The tighter the angle gets he just seems to shrink