Scotty Arfield Legend?

scottyscott1963

10 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Your view?
Me personally think this guy is the archetypal Rangers player. 
The extra years contract was a master stroke.
What a player for any young Rangers player to emulate.

I’m not wanting to piss on the Arfield two goals parade, but I still don’t think he’s the level we need tbh.

Ok as an impact sub, but miles off being a regular starter in a title winning team. 

He's been an excellent servant to us. Big goals at important times, league, cup and even Europe. He's been on the decline however as an impact sub its clear he's perhaps one of the best we've had. He was the one I understood keeping around of all the renewals but the fact he was starting for us in the CL alongside Davis and Jack was indicative of where we were. 

On 20/12/2022 at 23:35, scottyc06 said:

He’s a  Bob Malcolm, a Novo, a Halliday, Lee Wallace type of guy.. gave a lot to the club but playing for Rangers means more to him than it does to us having him! 

Big fan though, he’ll never be a Rangers legend! 

You can't insult Arfield by having him mentioned in the same breath as them. Arfield is/was a far better player than any of them. 

Not a legend but a great signing on a free. 

1 hour ago, King Jela said:

You can't insult Arfield by having him mentioned in the same breath as them. Arfield is/was a far better player than any of them. 

Not a legend but a great signing on a free. 

Think the comparison with Novo is quite fair to be honest , although think Novo would edge it slightly for me . 

both were first team regular starters who moved onto the role of being really effective subs against tired legs

He's been a great player for us if he's offski in the summer now is the time to start bringing through young Lowry ideally suited to either a midfield role CM or box to box midfielder.

it's just a question of utilising his skills in a one two or ensuring options are around for the pass when it's tight.

As ball players go  for my money he is a superb wee prospect with the skills the lad has at his disposal and the manager should be building a team around him this is where the experience of Jack and Arfield are invaluable going forward if Tillman's off it makes the case for Lowry even stronger imo not that I think Tillman's showing much more at the moment but to leave the lad sidelined whilst the constant tinkering goes on does us no favours when that asset is already ours to utilise whereas The Tillman's are merely options to buy albeit a decent.prospect in the offing.

For me it would be more prudent to reap the reward of our own asset in Lowry going forward as far as I'm concerned there's still everything to play for in this campaign rather than spunk a reported £6m on a player whilst decent should along with the rest be really upping their game for what's still to play for for there's more than enough competition tog et this team back playing to the levels of last season and if there are departures and incoming for certain positions then all good given the quality we should be mounting a serious challenge to their points difference in the  League .

4 hours ago, Ben10 said:

Must be something in him if he has outlasted three managers who used him sparingly. Won 55, European final cements his legend more than Sounness ever did

he hasnt outlasted 3 managers and used sparingly is a bit of a stretch

8 hours ago, Ben10 said:

Must be something in him if he has outlasted three managers who used him sparingly. Won 55, European final cements his legend more than Sounness ever did

In what way has he done more than Souness did ?

Souness led us to 3 league titles and 4 league cups 

Souness first title was probably every bit as important as 55 considering it also ended another decade wait for a title 

5 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

In what way has he done more than Souness did ?

Souness led us to 3 league titles and 4 league cups 

Souness first title was probably every bit as important as 55 considering it also ended another decade wait for a title 

Never even noticed that bit :lol: mental claim