Cheap Managerial Choices

plymouthranger

When Beale inevitably gets sacked, be it this month or sometime in the next 3-4 months after we drift further behind in the league, we need to stop penny pinching on managers. 

For too long, we’ve hired managers because they’re out of work, unproven, coming out of the wilderness in some backwater, but most of all because they’re cheap. 

We spend so much money on transfer fees on mediocre talent, because we don’t have a clue how to develop existing talent or a clear plan on how we’re going to break down sides, which is 99% of our domestic game. 

Stop penny pinching on managerial hires and let’s attract a better quality of manager. Accept it may mean a slight reduction on the transfer budgets, but we’re not spending that well regardless.

Get a decent DOF in who can make sure we are bringing in the best talent from youth academy level up to first team, allow the manager to focus on improving what we have and making us a domestic force again. 

It really us a vicious circle but whilst I fully agree, that costs money. The guy will only come if he gets time and s transfer budget - more money. Getting rid of Beale - more money again.

He can maybe transfer out some of the existing players but likely that'll cost us a fair bit of money to raise some needed funds. Will he get the time to improve us if he doesn't win the league and SC, and if things aren't great after the summer?

Something has to give, we can't just magic millions up and we don't exactly have assets folk are bursting doors down to buy from us.

The problems are easy to see, realistic solutions for how to realistically and financially deal with it far less so.

Submitted a list in the other thread.

Matias Almeyda - AEK Athens

Oliver Glasner - Unemployed

Gheorghe Hagi - Farul Constanta

Franco Foda - Unemployed 

Jurgen Henn - Flora Tallinn

Ivalyo Petev - Ludogrets

Questionable Targets:

Jindrich Trpisovsky - Slavia

Sergei Semak - Zenit

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

We dont need to spend a fortune on a manager ffs, fatty wouldn't have been expensive when he took the tarrier job 2 years ago, 

Is about finding someone who isn't a doughball

This is it.

Doing a proper recruitment process is key however we know that's not happened in years with us.

People forget we managed to attract one of the most sought-after managers in the world at the time and it still didn't work out.  Gone after only a few months.

Nothing is guaranteed in football.  All great managers had to start somewhere and were inexperienced rookies at one point.

I wanted Beale, as apparently he's a great coach.  Unfortunately that greatness hasn't transferred across to being a great manager - yet.  Will it ever???  That remains to be seen.

What is certain though, is that of all those other names being bandied about - not one is guaranteed to be a success.  That is the nature of football management.  It's like a lottery.  Good managers get sacked all the time and then someone else snaps them up.

3 minutes ago, RossS1873 said:

I don't think Hagi will be looking for our job after we forced his son out

To be fair that would have been down to the decision of the man he would be replacing. He's only out on loan so a change of manager and he's potentially back in the picture again.

3 minutes ago, Big Al 55 said:

Will we ever realistically give anyone the time to turn it around?

What constitutes year on year improvement?

How long will they get?

What percentage of new recruits will be failures?

Beale would get plenty of time if it looked like he was progressing the team, thats why gerrard got time even though ge repeatedly failed to beat the diddy teams

Beale is taking us backwards though, worse than gio

A lot of the top managers have a style of play that is unremovable. We need a manager that will come in and bring a style of play around what will be most successful for the players currently at the club rather than one like Beale who try to force players into foreign positions to suit how he wants to play. 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Mcleish didnt except have a good managerial record before us, no he's the second most successful manager for us in the last what, 50 years 

I think he done well at Hibs and had them playing some great stuff. I remember Latapy and Sauze being excellent with them.

Was relatively excited when he came in although I was only 16 or so at time.

I'd be depressed beyond belief with a dud like McInnes, his football is utter dug shite

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Beale would get plenty of time if it looked like he was progressing the team, thats why gerrard got time even though ge repeatedly failed to beat the diddy teams

Beale is taking us backwards though, worse than gio

Don’t disagree we’re going backwards, not getting into Gio discussion…again.

What improvement is acceptable though, how many windows to rebuild the squad, etc.

Not specifically for anyone to answer but I just think there’s a high probability we’ll continue down this circular path indefinitely if we’re not careful.

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I think he done well at Hibs and had them playing some great stuff. I remember Latapy and Sauze being excellent with them.

Was relatively excited when he came in although I was only 16 or so at time.

I'd be depressed beyond belief with a dud like McInnes, his football is utter dug shite

His football is dug shit because of him or because of his clubs limitations? 

2 minutes ago, Big Al 55 said:

Don’t disagree we’re going backwards, not getting into Gio discussion…again.

What improvement is acceptable though, how many windows to rebuild the squad, etc.

Not specifically for anyone to answer but I just think there’s a high probability we’ll continue down this circular path indefinitely if we’re not careful.

Well firstly improvements have to be better than what you took over, we are not better than gios performances, 

Beales had two windows and 15mill to spend, he's not improved us, why give him any more windows, 

44 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

People slaughtering the idea of mccinnes or Martindale, whos to say these guys dont do for us what mcleish managed, they know the scottish game, they maybe just need a bigger budget to improve themselves 

I don’t really feel comfortable having a drug dealer as our manager tbh.