The Offside Goal vs St.J

RealWorldRich

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

It doesn’t look offside but it’s a fucking rotten angle

That's the angle they used for the lines.  There's no way the halfway line is perpendicular with the sidelines either on a potato field like St. J.

There's no way this can be an accurate science, but if you eyeball it Sima is closer to the halfway line than the defender playing him on.

2 minutes ago, RealWorldRich said:

That's the angle they used for the lines.  There's no way the halfway line is perpendicular with the sidelines either on a potato field like St. J.

There's no way this can be an accurate science, but if you eyeball it Sima is closer to the halfway line than the defender playing him on.

'Eyeballing' is irrelevant when the angle is like this. The lines are drawn at the correct angle using VAR (they don't just use the halfway line).

3 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

The split second they showed it on sky the lines were touching. The rule is supposed to be if the lines are touching it's a goal.

I thought it was if they were overlapping, but who knows with the VAR we use

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

There was definitely talk of that becoming the rule for this season, whether or not it came about I’m not sure

When Sakala scored against Ross County either last season or the season before that was the justification. Sakala's line was a bawhair ahead but touching.

4 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

When Sakala scored against Ross County either last season or the season before that was the justification. Sakala's line was a bawhair ahead but touching.

I can’t recall that goal or that rule ever being a thing before hearing it discussed in the summer tbh with you mate

Feels like we’ve been done with some contentious decisions over the last few weeks. The issues don’t seem to be the technology itself but the interpretation of the rules. With both of the goals there have been instances decisions have gone for or against us in matches. VAR was meant to avoid those things but the inconsistency of how the rules are applied remains and it has bitten us badly last few matches. 

6 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I can’t recall that goal or that rule ever being a thing before hearing it discussed in the summer tbh with you mate

It was Cantwell that scored actually.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/stuart-kettlewell-backtracks-Rangers-offside-26593117

Hard one to tell. From looking at the still it definitely looks onside but the angle isn’t exactly great and it is also assuming the cut on the grass is exactly perpendicular.

I don’t think the VAR use the same camera feed as Sky to draw the lines and I am pretty sure I read something where it is basically they use the goal line as the reference to get the line set and then effectively drag it up the pitch using the touchlines to make sure it stays perpendicular.  Saying that would hardly be a surprise if the pitch isn’t set out exactly square and fucks the whole system!!!

Cant see it as a massive conspiracy as to be honest the penalty shout against Lawrence could easily have been flagged up for review if we are wanting to go down the VAR wanted screw us over mindset.  It would have been incredibly soft but have definitely seen pens given for that level of contact.

Found it strange how little Sky wanted to look at it but that is a different discussion from whether the decision was correct or not.

6 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

Hard one to tell. From looking at the still it definitely looks onside but the angle isn’t exactly great and it is also assuming the cut on the grass is exactly perpendicular.

I don’t think the VAR use the same camera feed as Sky to draw the lines and I am pretty sure I read something where it is basically they use the goal line as the reference to get the line set and then effectively drag it up the pitch using the touchlines to make sure it stays perpendicular.  Saying that would hardly be a surprise if the pitch isn’t set out exactly square and fucks the whole system!!!

Cant see it as a massive conspiracy as to be honest the penalty shout against Lawrence could easily have been flagged up for review if we are wanting to go down the VAR wanted screw us over mindset.  It would have been incredibly soft but have definitely seen pens given for that level of contact.

Found it strange how little Sky wanted to look at it but that is a different discussion from whether the decision was correct or not.

I don't think Lawrence had a hold of him at any time. He had his palms open. I thought the Butland one looked worse 

Sky showed the penalty claims multiple times but had the offside lines on for a second.