Todd Cantwell

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

I get the impression hooking when he did was a statement from Clement. There is more too it than just hooking a player that isn't playing well. It's a buck up you're ideas type of thing.

There were warnings from Norwich fans that Cantwell does have a bit of a suspect attitude, and just now he does have an air of a teenage boy who would argue black is white.

Apparently due to not following orders. I can totally understand that, to be honest. Manager sets out tactics and if players dont follow, then they are hooked. I would do the same If I was Manager.

2 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Cantwell came into our team like a breath of fresh air. He covered every single blade of grass game after game and carried many others in this team on his back - so he has proved his ability and shown where he plays best.

Clement plays him out of position and all of a sudden he seemingly becomes the whipping boy?

I really hope our manager isn't trying to drive him out of the club. To pick that useless fanny Lammers week in - week out and then sub Cantwell doesn't send out any positive messages gaffer.

He was also a stand out for Norwich in the PL for spells, and a fan favourite, to being on the bench in the Championship and loaned out.

Maybe his attitude is just shit?

Fair, he is getting played out of position, and should 100% be ahead of Lammers, but Lawrence should be in that role over the both of them, so he would still be in the same situation.

4 hours ago, Rum Ham said:

He was also a stand out for Norwich in the PL for spells, and a fan favourite, to being on the bench in the Championship and loaned out.

Maybe his attitude is just shit?

Fair, he is getting played out of position, and should 100% be ahead of Lammers, but Lawrence should be in that role over the both of them, so he would still be in the same situation.

There’s absolutely nothing to suggest Lawrence should be in the number 10 role ahead of Cantwell.

Neither are in any sort of form and if you’re basing it off a time when they were in form then Cantwell is miles ahead of Lawrence 

7 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

There was nobody more petulant than Morelos, and he got away with it for years.

Managers should protect young players, not hang them out to dry. There is a time for an arm around the shoulder and a chat.

Definition of a ‘young player’? 
Cantwell is 26 in February FFS yet seemingly can’t follow instructions to stay wide.

9 hours ago, DrLaudrup said:

I’m happy a manager has the balls to make a change when he perceives something is not working. It shows responsibility and it is what I want a Rangers manager to show. Cantwell will be a tricky one to manage now though and this will be a test of Clement’s man management.

He’s off form for sure but I’m also not sure why Clement feels he’s better on the right than in the 10. Lammers seems to get a free pass there currently and I’d rather Lawrence and Cantwell fought for that position. 

I don’t think this is so much making a change when something wasn’t working as much as sending a message to Cantwell / the squad that if you don’t do the role you are asked to you won’t play.

If it was about taking players off who weren’t working or just not playing well then Sima and Lammers should have been off at half time / long before they were as their performances were every bit as poor as Cantwell.

It’s not the first time we have been left baffled how player X (usually Lammers) has stayed on the pitch for so long when he is clearly underperforming.

There has been a certain amount of understanding for PC so far in that we are limited in options in some areas, however I can see the Lammers / Cantwell thing becoming a bit of a point of contention amongst the support as we now should be playing McAusland on the right so don’t need Cantwell out there. Lammers has offered nothing and Cantwell probably still has enough backing in support who feel he should at least be given the chance to prove why he should be in the no 10 role.

Needs to play through the middle or not at all, our lack of options on the right is forcing the manager to play him there but it’s not working, don’t think Cantwell is deliberately disobeying the managers instructions to stay wide it just isn’t his game and he will naturally drift inside looking for the ball, time to drop Lammers and put Cantwell in there with McAusland out wide. 

Anyone of that midfield or forwards could have been hooked last night given the ineptitude of that opening half .

Cantwell's loss of possession leading to a goal was a factor but he was far from blameless a little earlier An Aris push on our goal came off the back of poor defending from Ciffuentes by not intercepting the midfielder he had carelessly given the ball to then didn't intervene on the edge of the box after tracking back as the forward was about to have a dig .

I like Cantwell and what he brings to the team in an attacking sense even last night his defensive duties were pretty decent early doors especially at The Govan front end intercepting or snuffing out a threat on that side of the park as Aris sought to make something from our general piss poor ball control.

As unacceptable as last night was overall I hope Cantwell's substitution serves as a marker to the majority of them barely showing a competent ability to even control a ball or make a simple pass as last night was a fucking shambles they ought to be embarrassed that a young guy blew them out the fucking water with a competent display of composure in his passing and control of the ball.

Mixed feelings here, I like Cantwell but he's a bit like Marmite.  His dive at the weekend vs Aberdeen was a fucking disgrace, we'd slaughter Kyogo or whoever they have at the otherside of the city doing their cheating for them these days for that one.

Cantwell is a talented footballer though, some of the touches and little quick dribbles that open up space are sublime.  I've seen him have poor games too, where he still runs himself into the ground for the team.

If he was hooked last night for not following instructions, for taking too long on the ball or not maintaining his position then it's fair enough.  We absolutely need to a gaffer with unquestionable authority, it's all too rare in football now.

6 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

There’s absolutely nothing to suggest Lawrence should be in the number 10 role ahead of Cantwell.

Neither are in any sort of form and if you’re basing it off a time when they were in form then Cantwell is miles ahead of Lawrence 

A bit harsh on Lawrence to say the least. He’s played around 3 times in a year. Cantwell shouldn’t be anywhere near the team, never mind number 10 if he thinks he’s too good to follow instructions.

1 hour ago, goaaaal said:

Anyone of that midfield or forwards could have been hooked last night given the ineptitude of that opening half .

Cantwell's loss of possession leading to a goal was a factor but he was far from blameless a little earlier An Aris push on our goal came off the back of poor defending from Ciffuentes by not intercepting the midfielder he had carelessly given the ball to then didn't intervene on the edge of the box after tracking back as the forward was about to have a dig .

I like Cantwell and what he brings to the team in an attacking sense even last night his defensive duties were pretty decent early doors especially at The Govan front end intercepting or snuffing out a threat on that side of the park as Aris sought to make something from our general piss poor ball control.

As unacceptable as last night was overall I hope Cantwell's substitution serves as a marker to the majority of them barely showing a competent ability to even control a ball or make a simple pass as last night was a fucking shambles they ought to be embarrassed that a young guy blew them out the fucking water with a competent display of composure in his passing and control of the ball.

His defensive efforts were poor as well. Failed to track back a couple of times, once almost to disastrous consequences. The one in front of the Goven, don't know if it was the same incident you mean, but he basically gave away one of his typical stupid fouls when the boy was heading down a blind alley and would have lost it. It's that lack of game intelligence thing from him at times.

2 hours ago, hurricane_dj said:

Where is this narrative that Cantwell is not a wide man come from. It is where he played for Norwich. So no he is not playing out of position, he must have played majority of his games in his career out wide on the right or left. 

Literally from Cantwell if we’re talking about playing wide right.

2 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Cantwell’s application was a disgrace last night, but by the same token Clement talking about how he wouldn’t stay wide and he wanted width, when he made the choice to leave a wide man on the bench to accommodate him also makes next to no sense.

Aye Clements comments in the press conference after the game didn’t make sense. He said “Todd is better as a 10 or from the left”. Then why keep playing him on the right and switching Sima from the right where he’s been performing well and scoring goals or fucking play Lammers as a 10. It’s as if he’s just being stubborn now!

9 hours ago, kelvd1873 said:

Same as what advocaat did to Moore and Ricksen. Both of whom became club captains years later. 

Good point, Fernando was subbed afer what, 20 minutes at the piggery?  He went on to become a legend, if Cantwell throws a wobbly over this he can bolt.

People need to grasp that Cantwell’s removal had nothing to do with how well he was playing.

The manager gave him explicit instructions and repeated them more than once during the game but player knew better and refused to comply.

To allow that to continue undermines the manager and can’t go on.

Hopefully any other player considering similar disrespect will have learned a valuable lesson and we can also hope Cantwell now knows who is boss.

Something good may yet come from it.

2 things for me

1. McCausland coming on was the right thing to do as TC clearly wasn't following instructions.  Whilst on paper you'd move TC in to the No10 role and take Lammers off, and bring McCausland on, the manager would have been raging at him so made it a straight swap.

2. Of more interest to me now, is what happens next. McCausland must be a shoe in to start games coming up, so will TC get in front of Lammers for the No10 role.  I hope he does.  If he doesn't, and is 3rd behind Lammers and Lawrence for that role, it points to a massive issue between Clement and Cantwell because Lammers............just wow, he's bad.

11 minutes ago, Inigo said:

His defensive efforts were poor as well. Failed to track back a couple of times, once almost to disastrous consequences. The one in front of the Goven, don't know if it was the same incident you mean, but he basically gave away one of his typical stupid fouls when the boy was heading down a blind alley and would have lost it. It's that lack of game intelligence thing from him at times.

At times defensively Id agree with with you on that, there are times his stupidity gets the better of him as the guy was going nowhere and he does need to be more mature .