Rangers statement

JWAC

Let's remember the same var official today remains the only official in Scotland who refused to go to the screen when instructed to do so last season in the cup semi between celtic and Kilmarnock again it was a decision that benefited the scum. He's a sneeky fly bastard and imo the worst of the refs in Scotland. 

1 hour ago, psb07158 said:

Wasn’t that a shot from Cantwell that deflected off one of those players onto the hand though

Pretty sure not a pen in Scotland/England, but UEFA tend to still give them due to the hand position there 

Goldson got penalised for that against USG away last season. 

4 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

Goldson got penalised for that against USG away last season. 

Yes mate and PSG got a penalty v Newcastle a few weeks back it was heavily discussed at that point that in the UK it wouldn’t have been a penalty due to the deflection off a body part in close proximity but UEFA apply no such logic in their decisions hence the penalty was awarded 

Haven’t actually realised either that the VAR HAS to call Walsh over to the screen, not make the decision himself because Walsh’s on field decision is goal kick so Collum has made the decision himself and essentially re-refereed the game which brings the game into disrepute. That’s even bigger than claiming the offside 40 minutes later. 

5 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Haven’t actually realised either that the VAR HAS to call Walsh over to the screen, not make the decision himself because Walsh’s on field decision is goal kick so Collum has made the decision himself and essentially re-refereed the game which brings the game into disrepute. That’s even bigger than claiming the offside 40 minutes later. 

Collum doesn't have to call Walsh over to the screen if he doesn't think its a pen.

I'm confused by what you are saying?

3 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

Collum doesn't have to call Walsh over to the screen if he doesn't think its a pen.

I'm confused by what you are saying?

I’m sure he does though. Walsh has given a goal kick. The ball clearly strikes the arm, so Walsh has to be the one to decide if the arm is in a natural position or if it is a penalty, not the VAR who is essentially re-refereeing the game at that point. 

2 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I’m sure he does though. Walsh has given a goal kick. The ball clearly strikes the arm, so Walsh has to be the one to decide if the arm is in a natural position or if it is a penalty, not the VAR who is essentially re-refereeing the game at that point. 

Not how it works. 

30 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I'm confused.

That's now how VAR works and never has been.

10 hours ago, GA1972 said:

I’d agree with that. Always thought Collum was just a really bad ref and that everyone in Scotland even scum fans would say the same. A guy who likes to make it about him, almost like an uglier, Scottish version of Lahoz 

However what we seen from him today was either the highest form of shitting it from the pressure he was under or it was just cheating pure and simple. I’m not convinced it wasn’t the latter 

They probably feared another Hugh Dallas 1999 scenario if they had the bare faced cheek to award Rangers a genuine penalty after the media and Celtic bloggers whipping the beggars into a frenzy over last few weeks about Rangers penalty stats

10 hours ago, Bristoe1872 said:

The club have made the statement but they have made similar statements in the past and I expect the usual pattern to follow. It'll die out and nothing else will happen. Then a few weeks before the game against them at Ibrox the "Rangers penalties" stuff will start again in the media from filth favouring "pundits" etc and unless a Savco player takes a hatchet to our centre forward we won't be getting anything. 

And what exactly do their players have to do to receive a second yellow? While Rangers players are in the book with one tackle. It's frustrating as fuck but how we end it I've no idea. 

Only way to end it is to fight fire with fire. 

The scum have this down to a tee now. If the roles had reversed yesterday it would be the biggest story going for weeks about the officials. 

We need to be doing stuff more publicly. The next game when the inevitable rangers penalties come up. Counteract it by highlighting how many penalties they get and hammer home how in the last 2 games they have benefitted from the decisions not us. 

15 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

I'm confused.

That's now how VAR works and never has been.

I'm confused now too. 

Is that not exactly what VAR is for? It's a clear and obvious mistake missed by the on field ref. He's not seen the handball and awarded a goal kick. The VAR should be looking at the incident and recommending the on field ref go and have a second look on the screen to decide if it's a penalty or not, he shouldn't be making that decision himself. 

It's the same as a shirt pull that has been missed by the on field ref, he's always told to look at the screen and make the decision himself. 

That's my take on the situation, but I'm probably wrong. The whole VAR thing is a minefield tbh. 

1 hour ago, KBOO72 said:

I'm confused now too. 

Is that not exactly what VAR is for? It's a clear and obvious mistake missed by the on field ref. He's not seen the handball and awarded a goal kick. The VAR should be looking at the incident and recommending the on field ref go and have a second look on the screen to decide if it's a penalty or not, he shouldn't be making that decision himself. 

It's the same as a shirt pull that has been missed by the on field ref, he's always told to look at the screen and make the decision himself. 

That's my take on the situation, but I'm probably wrong. The whole VAR thing is a minefield tbh. 

The point is Collum has deemed it not a clear and obvious error therefore doesn't need to call the ref to the screen.

2 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Exactly. Walsh can't have seen (he'd a good view btw)  the contact otherwise it would be a corner (non foul touch) or a pen (touch he deems a foul). Him giving a goal kick means he didnt see ANY Johnson contact or thought it still came off Sima lastly (no chance).

If you hit a shot and it struck a defenders arm at the side of his body it's a pen or corner, a ref can't just ignore the contact. 

The logical scenario is that Walsh deemed no contact by Johnson. Collum has ignored this, saw contact, and rather than having Walsh decide if the touch was handball foul or accidental Collum himself has made the refereeing decision with "natural positioning". As you say, re-refereeing. That's simply unacceptable.

2 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Not how it works. 

How does it work if the ref doesn't see a handball but var does and decides on whether its a foul or not?

VAR will recommend an OFR where there is a subjective decision to make, such as whether a foul was committed in the first place or whether a red card is warranted for a certain offence. In all cases, the final decision rests with the referee, and they can choose to ignore the advice of the VAR altogether

2 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

This.

I said similar earlier. It’s not the VAR official’s call to decide if it is a penalty  or not,  they are only tasked with drawing attention to potential penalties that the on-field referee has perhaps missed, or the inverse where it shouldn’t be a penalty. Other than offsides, the final decision should always be made by the referee.

The offside ultimately renders the whole thing irrelevant but for it not to be communicated to the stadium, the teams or the broadcaster for at least 30 mins is inept at best.

You can’t help but think they’ve spent halftime trying to find something in the footage  that digs themselves out of the hole they created for themselves and breathed a collective sigh of relief when they spotted Sima marginally offside. Unfortunately there won’t be any audio of that conversation were it the case.

The on-field audio will either justify what ultimately would be the correct decision OR highlight due process wasn’t followed and how fucking useless the ‘top’ officials are in the Scottish game.

20 minutes ago, left winger said:

Has this not been shown to be incorrect?

I would have thought it was wrong. 

Spotting offsides leading to goal scoring opportunity is one of VARs key jobs.

Can’t see why it’s not relevant if an offside is missed then  immediately followed by a penalty incident. 

8 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

How does it work if the ref doesn't see a handball but var does and decides on whether its a foul or not?

VAR will recommend an OFR where there is a subjective decision to make, such as whether a foul was committed in the first place or whether a red card is warranted for a certain offence. In all cases, the final decision rests with the referee, and they can choose to ignore the advice of the VAR altogether

‘Advice’ is the key word in that extract.

VARs role it to advise the on field officials, they do not make decisions other than confirm offsides which are not subjective (or at least aren’t subjective in the overwhelming majority of instances).

Bottom line is the VAR has just moved or split the blame for dodgy decisions and probably placed even more media scrutiny on decisions that could go either way, whilst also ruining the flow of the game. I much preferred the odd human error made in live time than a collective fuck up made in slow mo. 

VAR is not fit for purpose in its current format as it relies too heavily on the fuck wits in charge of reviews.