***** The Official Benfica v Rangers Europa League Round of 16 Match Thread *****

31 minutes ago, Ayrshire Blue said:

Yeah, he was a typical Souness signing. We got value for money out of him.

Souness had a knack of getting players, getting something from them, then moving them on. I remember Mel Sterland, he looked a player but Souness binned him after a few months 🤷‍♂️

Funny that. I remember him scoring when we won the title in 89 but he was gone just after to Leeds

58 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Next week is a far harder fixture for them than us 

They knew they needed more tonight, we were dead on our feet for the last 30 and they couldn’t get a winner.

We could blow them away with a classic Ibrox fast start next week 

6 minutes ago, ianb1547 said:

apologies mate....just seen the replay. Head to arm.

No penalty. You are right

None of the angles show clearly that he actually got a head to the ball, in my opinion. Still think its incredibly harsh.

The handball rule seems to be viewed differently  in every league. Europe usually seems to give penalty for any hand ball in the box. Basically pundits, referees and players now have no idea how this rule is going to be applied and it boils down to whichever moron is operating VAR.

VAR has changed how handball is viewed. If your hand/arm isn't miles out from your body facing the ball or you intentionally bat it out of plsy/handball it, it shouldn't be a handball. 

The Lundstram one v Killie wasn't a handball and neither was the Scum one v Hearts. 

It's all a load of shite now. 

In a strange way, the draw might actually be a better result than us holding on for the win. If we'd beaten them that manager would undoubtedly be out on his arse. He'll still be in charge next week as it stands so not a bad thing IMO 👍

31 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

None of the angles show clearly that he actually got a head to the ball, in my opinion. Still think its incredibly harsh.

The one from the back of the goal was conclusive, in my view.

Not sure if what we saw on tv is exactly what the ref gets - if so, they seemed to major on the angle which appeared to take the glance off his head out of the picture.

Wanted a win under no illusions they had good players but felt at 1-2 we sat off them giving them.tbe initiative to really get in about us which they did to good effect .

If we can cut out the sloppy clearances that gives benfica the edge then I think we can progress at Ibrox with potentially more options for the team .

Sure, the German ref could have sent off Di Maria at the end (straight red imo, but at least a second yellow), but it's great to talk about a cracking game of football for a change, instead of conspiracies.

The level of refs in Europe is night and day to Scottish refs.

4 hours ago, Blueshoff said:

Just got the game on, glad of wine and started with a fucking migraine - the sort when vision goes.  Bed it is for a while ☹️

Just woken up - what a result considering our injuries!  

Now to read the match thread.