*****The Official Rangers v SL Benfica Thread*****

1 minute ago, JackAlex93 said:

Beaten by the better team. Sloppy goals cost us in the end over the 2 legs. Proud of the team regardless 

Agreed. I'm gutted but we have just ground to a halt. There's a lot to be proud of and if I had to choose which tournament to lose, it would have to have been this one. This year anyway.

13 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

We win tonight under Gio. 

Think we played into their hands a bit, back line was too high and allowed them to sit in and counter 

Do we fuck :lol:

Gio had Aribo, Morelos, Kent and a match fit Roofe to call upon in his run. Say what you want about Kent and Morelos but they always upped their game in Europe.

Clement has Dessers, Wright, Matondo and Silva and Roofe on crutches. There's no comparison to be made for me.

Just now, RWB72 said:

Tactics from our own corners beat us tonight,

Never seen that setup in football in my life

Manager rolled the dice on them since we had nothing else. Could've ended up scoring by overloading but didn't. Ended up costing us at full time but if Benfica hadn't scored then they highly likely would've finished us off later on.

3 minutes ago, maverick1200 said:

Gutted, but with the squad available to us at the moment it was a great effort. 

Still proud of the team. 

Miles of what is required to compete at this level. Ajax have done it a lot so we can with a good manager. Lets hope we can keep Clement, Great manager.

2 minutes ago, theclothmonster said:

Shankland would have paid his fee back by the end of the season. Just can't understand the people who keep defending Dessers. Doesn't hold the ball up, can't header, needs so many chances before he takes one and we're stuck with him leading the line against the filth.

Shankland is not the answer especially for the money hearts would want fed up hearing his name not of the required quality imo 

Just now, Stunels said:

Played really well and got put out by a European giant.  Absolutely astounding that Clement managed to get here with this group of players seeing how we started the season.  

We put on a great performance and didnt get embarassed and now all we have to focus on is the league and the cup.  I'm fine with that lets fucking go Rangers.

When Clement came in we looked like going out of the Europa League groups, a few months later and we fell hard done by getting put out by Benfica.

Just now, PromDeAnglais said:

Do we fuck :lol:

Gio had Aribo, Morelos, Kent and Roofe to call upon in his run. Say what you want about Kent and Morelos but they always upped their game in Europe.

Clement has Dessers, Wright, Matondo and Silva. There's no comparison.

That game was suited for a kent and Morelos from a few years ago

1 minute ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Genuinely dont think that team had another gear, just lack the quality to go up a gear when needed 

Not a dig at them, just stating, EL last 16 and we're down to the bare bones squad wise

Don't think they had the energy to go up another gear anyway.

Hard to complain about the result considering the players we have missing.  We tried hard but lacked quality up front.  Hopefully we now win the league with no European distraction and come back stronger in Europe next season!

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

You're right however the pot of gold at the end of the season surely you've gotta try. 

Think it's harder in January though not so many frees etc and mibbe Phil just thinks Dessers can come good. It's just a shame we don't have anyone in the B team who can step up. 

14 minutes ago, watty. said:

Any cunt blaming the manager can fuck right off.guy's had to work with some absolute shite since he's come in.it's a miracle we even got this far ffs.

who do i blame for the tactics used for our corners? i mean i can't exactly blame the players if the same tactics is deployed every time we had a corner, you've got every single player apart from the keeper high up the other end of the park with the two main defenders legit just outside the 18 yard D line.

that's the only thing i can blame him for, everything else he's been incredible.

so now we can concentrate on the league.

1 minute ago, J-Maestro said:

When Clement came in we looked like going out of the Europa League groups, a few months later and we fell hard done by getting put out by Benfica.

Exactly - imagine what we could do next season when he has a summer window under his belt