Is Clement getting an easy ride?

Nothing so far is a surprise. We were shite when he came in. We got results with a decent press and Tav and Lundstram hit a patch of form.

I never bought into mentality as why we lost the league. Just think we’re absolutely shite going forward and that got exposed when fixtures caught up to a few key players. 

Dessers, Wright, Matondo etc are as bad as we’ve had for some time.

We won’t challenge unless we get 2-3 real quality signings in at the top end. Clement’s still the man but he’s not a miracle worker.

21 minutes ago, Redmond7 said:

What if this is the best these players can actually offer? Havent really seen any signs - think someone else mentioned it earlier - that the squad we have has any kind of levels above what they currently show.

Then you play to your strengths and adapt your tactics to suit. If that means we ditch the techicial stuff and just have a basic approach to play unattractive football that wins games that's all that counts. 

Clement’s trying to cut the squad size, lower the age group by developing young players and still compete with next to no budget. Needs the support to stick by the team more than ever but after years of mainly failure I can’t see that happening for too long if we get of to a bad start.

2 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

And let’s not forget that there has actually been decent backing, we just continually waste it on shite players.

And there’s only so far you can go with a model of using costly and overrunning infrastructure projects, to cover for piss poor management of the playing resource.

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

I will wait to see the starting 11 and performance against Union Berlin. If it includes Dessers, Matondo, Wright, and Davies then I will question the gaffer.

Questions marks surround the signings of Nsiala & Igamane. The last thing we need is adding squad players. It is the starting 11 that needs addressing.

Whether he is right or wrong, the handling of Lammers & Cantwell can't be good around the team.

Those players will be involved because we don't have any others to replace them with. 

14 minutes ago, Gascoigne's Flute said:

Then you play to your strengths and adapt your tactics to suit. If that means we ditch the techicial stuff and just have a basic approach to play unattractive football that wins games that's all that counts. 

That’s part of the issue though, nothing Clement is trying to serve up looks like it’s technically difficult or would take a lot of work to implement

If he was trying to install a playing style that you could see is quite intricate and would take lots of work on the training ground you could say “we need to abandon this and go back to basics” but the football we are playing is pretty much as basic and straightforward as it gets.

Until we move on the shite we don't have the budget to be going out and buying ready made starters. We're not signing the likes of Nsiala and Igamame instead of first choice players for those positions because we'd rather have them than guys ready to come in and make an instant impact.

He definitely does been saying that for months , his continual baffling decisions ,the lack of tactics ,his love of some players ,his continual shifting about positions with sterling . His happy go lucky demeanour changed to me after that Ross county game last season ,then the Dundee game his 2 press conferences after these games he was like a defeated man.

seems like a really nice guy  but the 2 signings that aren’t ready yet ffs it’s Scottish football hardly top flight football🤦‍♂️when are they going to play ?friendlies with the B team? Who don’t even play in a league 

1 hour ago, Gascoigne's Flute said:

Tbh we pretty much do play unnattractive football, most of our players don't seem capable of the even the basics. 

1 hour ago, RFC55 said:

We've signed a striker who is apparently of no use to us the now 

That's on him and Koppen

We've signed the players that where the easiest to get done just now He's a project. Whoever is responsible for moving players on has failed the manager so far this window. He will carry the can as the manager but he has been let down badly. 

He’s won leagues before us and will win them after us. He talks about synergy and the only club he won’t get that it is here. 

Isn’t completely blameless obviously. We lost the cup final but were the better team which begged the question where those tactics and style were in previous old firms. 

I’ve said it on other threads but I don’t see any discernible style of play that he’s trying to adopt, we’re an awful watch. Absolutely brutal. 

I also think if you put any other manager from the league in the dugout, they wouldn’t do any worse. I like him but he’s going to need to wake the team up pretty quickly or this season will be toxic. A ball hasn’t been kicked in earnest yet and it appears it’s going to be a tough one for us all to endure.

We’re just another also ran to the mhanks now. 

40 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

We've signed the players that where the easiest to get done just now He's a project. Whoever is responsible for moving players on has failed the manager so far this window. He will carry the can as the manager but he has been let down badly. 

Failed him? The 3 who went have saved us the best part of 70k pw.

Kirk everyone can see we desperately need a striker. He Koppen and the board should've prioritised that over anything else. If you can't score goals you'll not beat anyone 

2 hours ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Until we move on the shite we don't have the budget to be going out and buying ready made starters. We're not signing the likes of Nsiala and Igamame instead of first choice players for those positions because we'd rather have them than guys ready to come in and make an instant impact.

Realistically Shankland should be doable for 2 to 3 million given he's entering his final year. We spent 2 on Igamane, a project player. We've now got 0 forwards we've got confidence will be ready to do a job in competitive games in just 2 weeks time, despite now having 3 CFs on the books.

Shankland is a no brainer and it's on Koppen and Clement if choosing a kid over him fails us for the sake of maybe another million quid.

If money was that tight then it should all have been invested into starter players. Or maybe they're confident they'll still be here regardless in several transfer windows time and are more interested in the long term than short term. Which for a Rangers manager is a dangerous ploy.

He’s not had a full season, he got us fighting for a league title, won us a trophy and finished top of the Europa group stage we were in.

We’ve many problems but why should he not get an ‘easy ride’ for the time being while he’s been thrown under the bus by the board?

For what reasons until now would you want the fans to be on his back?

We were the better team in the cup final Wright Butland and the refs let us down.

The players cost us against Ross County especially Dessers missing easy chances for 3-0. I’ll give him faults for the dens game but even at that the players let him down, such as Lundstram at parkhead.

We’re all flat and dreading the season ahead so surely this is the time to actually back the players we have and especially the manager rather than trying to get rid of another and have a rinse repeat every October 

Stand aside us falling back into changing manager every year or 18 months and needing a “full rebuild” every time, I honestly don’t think we will get a better manager than Clement. He is a proven winner, but not a miracle worker. He can only pish with the cock he has, and we all know the current squad is not what he needs to succeed.  Can’t even blame him for the signings this summer if he has been told he has no money until we sell, as he alluded to in the interview. He needs significant backing.  Rather than worrying about him getting an easy ride from the fans, I would be more concerned that he walks.

He gets praise for the LC, getting us back into the league after beales start and topping Europa group. 

I think he's rightly had criticism for the way the league collapsed and his old firm record.

If we start the season poorly I can see him getting a lot more flak. 

If we start badly I can see him walking, and pointing the finger at the board. Probably rightly so bu,ùt I am dreading that outcome. He's probably as good a manager as we're likely to get, the thought of McInnes gives a very bad feeling.