espanyolification

magic8ball

Maybe i just don't know anything about football history, but when have Espanyol as a club ever been in the same stratosphere as Barcelona? Completely incomparable scenarios, unless your entire experience of Rangers vs celtic extends no further than identity politics.

53 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Slightly better gets us close because slightly better means that we beat Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Dundee et al much more consistently. 

FWIW, I think they drop in quality, but I agree we can't rely on that. When Sinclair, Dembele, Roberts etc leave then they won't replace them with equal quality. They can spend big all they like but they got fortunate with the availability of the above players.

We almost disappeared entirely 5 years ago, the fact that our fans are already up in arms that celtic are better than us is ridiculous. 

We're not that far away.

Hold on.

Van Dyke, Foster, Wanyama, Hooper before Dembele, Sinclair, Tierney suggest a continuous flow of saleable assets past and present. 

They're still waiting a windfall from a van Dyke sale that will match what we spent in the transfer window. And due to Liewells son at Man City they've somehow got the facility to rent a player for pretty much the duration of his contract there.

There's nothing to suggest that will change, but we've to assume for some reason they wont improve in quality. Fortunate? Don't think so.

I said around 3 weeks ago we were around 3 injuries away from a crisis - Alves, Jack and Morelos. Stand by that as we dont have strength in depth or a strong enough squad to deal with it.

To win this league we need at least 5 first team players better than what we have right now. But we also need plenty more better than what we have as squad players to cover form, suspensions and injuries.

We are not that close. But it also is not mission impossible as long as we don't change managers and overhaul squads every few months.

8 hours ago, magic8ball said:

A good few years ago .even before the tax case issues came to light a bear on follow follow penned an article called espanyolification .for those who didn't read it or haven't heard of it .it was alerting the Rangers community to the potential of a situation that happened in Barcelona during the late 50s and early 60s.back then there was little between the 2 clubs in the city .the clubs being Barcelona and espanyol .

The basis was that during that period the 2 clubs were pretty much on a level pegging .the difference being espanyol were a traditional club with more Spanish values and Barcelona being of a more local Catalonian mindset.

now I don't need to update you on today's current standing .but the author warned of what was happening and what could happen if we didn't take heed and do something.and remember this was almost 10yrs ago long before we were hamstrung by being demoted 

watching the events of yesterday. not just play wise but attitude of those scumbag bastards strutting about as if they owned the place shows that the espanyolification proficy is close to being very true .and if the proficy does becomes complete then it has dire consequences not just for us bears or our children but for Scotland as a whole 

watching those 2 inbred dicks Lego and thumb goad the support after the 2nd goal should be the turning point .those guys don't come from a background of being sellik through and through but are quite happy to jump on their coat tails and add to their myth of being "all inclusive " open to all and a club for the oppressed. 

now if that doesn't open the eyes of our fan base nothing will.the consequences of sitting back and doing nothing are inconceivable. there's no point saying.well it's Pedro's fault.its our boards fault .etc.the time now is to act while we still can to stop the espanyolification of our truly great club 

we need to unite as a support and not only back our manager and board.(we do not have a queue at the door to do more )back them not just by words and turning up every 2nd week .but we need the fan base to act 

my proposal is for the fans to unite in a membership scheme .a scheme similar to Rangers first and to the Rangers pools which was started to help fund the redevelopment of ibrox post 1971 

a bears lottery properly organised can provide investment .proper investment .the board gets stick but they funded the manager more than anybody expected this year.the manager gets stick but he has a background of better quality than most of the realistic alternatives have .proper investment allows the required boost to give us .not just our support but our heritage from being consigned to a part of Scottish history 

The board choose him and backed him with our money,  not their money as you seem to think.

Pedro needs to go and the board have to step up or sell up as season ticket money alone is not enough to topple them as they have 10,000 extra paying customers and now talking about opening a £18m hotel which we as a club should kick the fuck up about as we were knocked back i the 90's building one overlooking the broomloan and we offered Albion carpark to build the new police station at before the built it facing the park.  

We need major investment or someone who wants to own a very successful footballing brand. To get in the champs league in England your spending £500m  tops on top of a buying a club, to buy all our major share holders and their shares to own over 50% of us would cost £20m tops and £30m to xhallange them, its peanuts and we are a bargain for anyone willing to invest.  

This board have did well regarding the shirt deal but they have still to bring in any major investment and that's the boards job, and who the fuck ever thought Pedro was the man and the only man for the job? Should we not have interviewed as many as possible candidates?

I still think Pedro's appointment was wrong and heads must roll for this and not just Pedro's 

Had a read there and it is spot on. We only need to go back a week to my McCoist on BT thread to see that some Rangers fans are not willing to accept the fight and tackle the fact that "our" pundit is arguing against opposition red cards etc - being impartial, while their pundits go for the jugular every time we play. 

20 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

Espanyol in this analogy are the equivalent of partick thistle. And we are most definitely not partick thistle. 

Europa and Jupiter are the city of Barcelona's Partick Thistle and Queen's Park, playing in the lower division 5.

Just to give you some perspective Espanyol are the second team in Barcelona, one of the larger European cities with a population twice the size of Glasgow. 

I don't expect a lot of football fans in Barcelona to be aware of Partick Thistle. 

6 hours ago, Creampuff said:

By doing what we're doing slightly better. 

We're a much better side than we were 6 months ago. This is despite the fact that half of the squad were entirely replaced over the summer.

I'm honestly stunned at the overreaction to yesterday - I don't know why because it always happens - because we could well have gotten at least a point but for individual errors. 

They're still better than us, but expecting us to be at their level after a single season in the top division was just never going to happen. We'll comfortably finish second this year, and run them close next.

How can you have so much confidence in us getting second nevermind getting it comfortably?

We're currently sitting 5th. We're 8 points behind celtic, 6 behind Aberdeen, 3 behind St Johnstone, and 1 behind Hibs. We're just as close to 12th as we are 1st. We've won 1 out of 4 home games this season. We've won 2 out of 3 away games this season.

We may 'look' a much better side but the results certainly don't show it. I can't see Caixinha lasting after Christmas and I can't see us finishing second. If anything it's going to end up a challenge for us at the end of the season to finish third comfortably.

EDIT: The reality is that it looks like the tarriers are going to march to another treble and who knows when they'll actually lose a game. We went out of Europe at the first hurdle to a side from Luxembourg who had never won a European tie, we don't have the form that would have anyone believe we're capable of a cup win, and any possible league challenge is gone by the end of September. What is there actually to be hopeful about this season? 

18 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

How can you have so much confidence in us getting second nevermind getting it comfortably?

We're currently sitting 5th. We're 8 points behind celtic, 6 behind Aberdeen, 3 behind St Johnstone, and 1 behind Hibs. We're just as close to 12th as we are 1st. We've won 1 out of 4 home games this season. We've won 2 out of 3 away games this season.

We may 'look' a much better side but the results certainly don't show it. I can't see Caixinha lasting after Christmas and I can't see us finishing second. If anything it's going to end up a challenge for us at the end of the season to finish third comfortably.

EDIT: The reality is that it looks like the tarriers are going to march to another treble and who knows when they'll actually lose a game. We went out of Europe at the first hurdle to a side from Luxembourg who had never won a European tie, we don't have the form that would have anyone believe we're capable of a cup win, and any possible league challenge is gone by the end of September. What is there actually to be hopeful about this season? 

Because we don't play a 7 game season.

St Johnstone are overly reliant on the player on loan from us (a loan that ends in Jan btw).

We're better than Hibs, too. They just had a nice bit of early season form. 

Aberdeen could run it close for a while, but they look poorer than they did last season and I can't see them posting near the total they did last season. 

2 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Because we don't play a 7 game season.

St Johnstone are overly reliant on the player on loan from us (a loan that ends in Jan btw).

We're better than Hibs, too. They just had a nice bit of early season form. 

Aberdeen could run it close for a while, but they look poorer than they did last season and I can't see them posting near the total they did last season. 

Our run of form at the start of this season holds no indication that we're going to be better than Aberdeen or finish second comfortably. We should be 6 clear in second place at this stage but we're 6 off.

3 hours ago, duffy2391 said:

I don't think Aberdeen are anywhere near as strong as they were last season. Scraping by games just now, can't see them maintaining form in the next round of fixtures

Another result for them again today, at least they seem to get there in most matches at the moment. Yes, they seem to scrape it but they are still up there. Rangers, you couldn't safely put your mortgage on them against the likes of Thistle, Accies and MWell. We are so inconsistent, and that is what damages confidence and league standings. 

• 3 years later...

That last paragraph there couild have been written for what has been and gone since 2012.

We are back and it tastes so much sweeter because we have done what no other club could have done. 

We are like no other. 

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

It was bleak days mate but Bill knew all those years ago...

I have been lucky — lucky in those who were around me from the boardroom to the dressing-room. In time of stress, their unstinted support, unbroken devotion to our club and calmness in adversity eased the task of making Rangers FC the premier club in this country.

To be a Ranger is to sense the sacred trust of upholding all that such a name means in this shrine of football. They must be true in their conception of what the Ibrox tradition seeks from them. No true Ranger has ever failed in the tradition set him."

Our very success, gained you will agree by skill, will draw more people than ever to see it. And that will benefit many more clubs than Rangers. Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase. It is healthy for us. We will never hide from it. Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers.

Brilliant post .👍

Just now, psb07158 said:

Time to turn the screws on them. 

Get in the UCL and get clear financial daylight between them and us, spend to dominate for the next few years at least. 

With SG’s tactical nous in Europe you have to fancy us to at least qualify and possibly even progress. We really could leave them miles behind inside 2 seasons

3 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

With SG’s tactical nous in Europe you have to fancy us to at least qualify and possibly even progress. We really could leave them miles behind inside 2 seasons

And they will be lucky to finish 2nd to even be in with an unlikely shot at qualifying