Tav tonight

BlueThunder

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

See every time an opposition team scores against us why do our fans always look to see who was responsible :lol: 

we don’t have a divine right not to concede. Maribor are a good team and had other chances to score - the one they scored was a belter. Sometimes you just have to say fair enough ffs 

It was a fluke goal anyway :1120982233_SGsmile:

GERRARD ON TAV:

Steven Gerrard has declared he wants James Tavernier for keeps after hailing the Rangers skipper's display against Maribor. 

The 26-year-old Englishman was the subject of a £1.8million bid from West Brom on the eve of Rangers ' Europa League clash with the Slovenians. 

But Gerrard, whose first act as Ibrox boss was to hand Tavernier the captain's armband, rejected the offer after heart-to-heart talks with the right-back.

And the Light Blues manager got his reward for his show of faith as Tavernier led his side through to a 3-1 victory on Thursday night that now gives them a golden chance of making the play-offs.

Now Gerrard insists he wants Tavernier, who put Gers back in front with an early second-half penalty, to remain at the club as long as the former England and Liverpool captain does. 

"James was magnificent," he said. "Good players get attention from other clubs. I don't appreciate that attention 24 hours before a big game. I'd like a phone call off of big Darren (Moore, West Brom boss) at some point.

But James handled it very well and that was probably his strongest performance so far.

"He's got ability, he's got power - there is more to come from James. He still has gears to go into. For me, he's a Premiership footballer. He can play in the Premier League no problem.

"He's a leader and a very likeable guy in the dressing room. People respect him. He's been through a lot of turbulence in his time at the club but handled it very well. That's why I gave him the armband.

James knows what I think of him. It was a big decision to make him captain of this club. I speak to him every day. It's up to James whether he tells you what has been said between us over the past few days but he has my full support. I want James Tavernier here as long as I'm here."

1 minute ago, Tomatasauce said:

GERRARD ON TAV:

Steven Gerrard has declared he wants James Tavernier for keeps after hailing the Rangers skipper's display against Maribor. 

The 26-year-old Englishman was the subject of a £1.8million bid from West Brom on the eve of Rangers ' Europa League clash with the Slovenians. 

But Gerrard, whose first act as Ibrox boss was to hand Tavernier the captain's armband, rejected the offer after heart-to-heart talks with the right-back.

And the Light Blues manager got his reward for his show of faith as Tavernier led his side through to a 3-1 victory on Thursday night that now gives them a golden chance of making the play-offs.

Now Gerrard insists he wants Tavernier, who put Gers back in front with an early second-half penalty, to remain at the club as long as the former England and Liverpool captain does. 

"James was magnificent," he said. "Good players get attention from other clubs. I don't appreciate that attention 24 hours before a big game. I'd like a phone call off of big Darren (Moore, West Brom boss) at some point.

But James handled it very well and that was probably his strongest performance so far.

"He's got ability, he's got power - there is more to come from James. He still has gears to go into. For me, he's a Premiership footballer. He can play in the Premier League no problem.

"He's a leader and a very likeable guy in the dressing room. People respect him. He's been through a lot of turbulence in his time at the club but handled it very well. That's why I gave him the armband.

James knows what I think of him. It was a big decision to make him captain of this club. I speak to him every day. It's up to James whether he tells you what has been said between us over the past few days but he has my full support. I want James Tavernier here as long as I'm here."

I know big Coulibaly was good but Tav's was my MOTM tonight. IN Stevie we trust.....

6 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

See every time an opposition team scores against us why do our fans always look to see who was responsible :lol: 

we don’t have a divine right not to concede. Maribor are a good team and had other chances to score - the one they scored was a belter. Sometimes you just have to say fair enough ffs 

Because believe it or not, we should be trying to make sure our players learn from their mistakes otherwise it’s just going to keep happening that’s why.  

15 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Watching it back, I actually think he intended to cross it and it just sliced perfectly :lol: 

Thankfully we have a two goal lead so barring a collapse in Slovenia we should be ok.

Twas a fuckin fluke? "wonder goal" ffs ?

No player and no team are perfect for 90 mins. Tav was excellent tonight and showed why he is our captain.. Anyone nit picking and moaning about anything after tonight's performance from him and anyone else needs to see someone about their mental health.  Seriously. 

7 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Wish we fucking did!! That was 50/1

99877815-618D-4784-9845-95BDFB1D34FB.jpeg

21 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Has a good game, but was still at fault for the goal. 

No he wasnt. If anyone was at fault it was from the other side of the box where nobody stopped the cross and evem that is just looking to blame someone. Tav was right on top of his man the minute he controlled the ball and would have been closer if he hadnt tucked into the back post to help provide cover for the centre backs. Sometimes you just have to hold your hand up and say "good goal".

I thought he was superb. Best players were him and Morelos.

Still think he has a tendency to be eaaily dragged from his right back position into midfield when he should just leave his guy and stay in position. But overall he offers a heck of alot.

1 minute ago, Malkytfp1 said:

No he wasnt. If anyone was at fault it was from the other side of the box where nobody stopped the cross and evem that is just looking to blame someone. Tav was right on top of his man the minute he controlled the ball and would have been closer if he hadnt tucked into the back post to help provide cover for the centre backs. Sometimes you just have to hold your hand up and say "good goal".

nobody is to blame for that goal

8 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Because believe it or not, we should be trying to make sure our players learn from their mistakes otherwise it’s just going to keep happening that’s why.  

You can pick holes in every single goal ever conceded

why live life like that when you’ve banged 3 in the other end 

7 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Just watched it again, Both of them can take the blame, he’s completely unmarked and has all the time in the world to hit that. 

That's not how it works. If Tav had left his position to run out and cover the scorer, that would have left us short in the middle, and that's the main threat area. If anyone is to blame here (even though i don't blame anyone) it's Candeias for not tracking the goal scorer, which was his job because Tav had tucked in to cover in defence. 

Sometimes you just concede a good goal with an unstoppable strike.

11 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

And what about when he stopped a certain goal

I said he was brilliant, doesn’t change the fact he should have stopped the one they did score. 

You know it’s funny how fickle football fans are, because at half time when we’re losing, everyone is in agreement that his poor defending for the goal has cost us. But it’s ok now we won 3-1 so everything’s rosy.  Tav has a fantastic game, he still should have done a lot better for the goal.

25 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Watching it back, I actually think he intended to cross it and it just sliced perfectly :lol: 

Thankfully we have a two goal lead so barring a collapse in Slovenia we should be ok.

I can't decide if I think he meant it or not either. Might seem like a weird thing to say but he looks far too relaxed for that to be an intentional shot at goal. He's not really putting anything into it.

2 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

That's not how it works. If Tav had left his position to run out and cover the scorer, that would have left us short in the middle, and that's the main threat area. If anyone is to blame here (even though i don't blame anyone) it's Candeias for not tracking the goal scorer, which was his job because Tav had tucked in to cover in defence. 

Sometimes you just concede a good goal with an unstoppable strike.

Except it wouldn’t have because we outnumbered them in the box and Tav isn’t looking over his shoulder to watch a player run into the box unmarked.  As I said had we lost or drew tonight, it’s a different forum and we all know that and Tav would have rightly got the blame.