Even Though We Ain't That Great (Yet)............

tannerall

we're halfway through the season and it's all set up nicely for us to pressure the taigs. The next 2 games will either leave us biting at their heels with all to play for, knowing we have their measure if we win, or set us back three months if we lose. 

Can Steve handle the pressure and lead us to an unexpected victory in both ?

We need to be a lot better than today we were far better than this against Hibs we would have lost that game today if we had played a decent team we were, lucky that it was just St Johnstone.

They missed two easy chance to score another two goals one from a header and the chip that just went over.

I don’t think it’s a question of if the manager can handle it, I think we forget how much of a red arse he is when it comes to management in general although I think he shows the signs of developing into a very capable manager.

What gives me the fear is wether the guys on the pitch have the bollocks for it and so far every time we have had the chance to turn the screw on the manky mob their arses have collapsed.

Will their arses collapse again? I honestly don’t know although after them digging out the 2nd half today I have a shred of optimism.

We need to be a bit more consistent . 

I thought we played the best , domestically , against Hearts . Then we had the sheep and Dundee . Then again against hibs we were superb , albeit not scoring , and then we had a mundane 60 minutes today before playing some good stuff . 

We need to start showing that consistency for a few games other than a couple here and there to have a chance . 

5 minutes ago, gmcf said:

I thought we played the best , domestically , against Hearts . Then we had the sheep and Dundee . Then again against hibs we were superb , albeit not scoring , and then we had a mundane 60 minutes today before playing some good stuff . 

We need to start showing that consistency for a few games other than a couple here and there to have a chance . 

I think that's what is frustrating the manager. He knows all about playing consistently well game after game, season after season.

If we had shown even a bit more consistency we'd have daylight at the top. I understand his frustration. I do still think we're closer than most would have expected at Xmas.

Just now, Dan Deacon said:

We'll lose the next 2. 

Don't know if you're fishing or not but this is probably how most of the players are thinking.

They'll probably go in to hivs 70/30 to win lose a goal the heeds al drap.

70/30 taigs to win lose a goal and it's last 3 years again.

Squads getting a bit threadbare now. We need the break badly. 

Think we will beat the Junkies but concerned about the scum game. need to have as many players available as possible.  Get Arfield and McCauley back No injuries or suspensions from the junkies game is important.

9 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

I think that's what is frustrating the manager. He knows all about playing consistently well game after game, season after season.

If we had shown even a bit more consistency we'd have daylight at the top. I understand his frustration. I do still think we're closer than most would have expected at Xmas.

Yes , I'd agree with you . I think we would all have accepted where we are just now at the start of the season . It's relatively early days for SG and the team , so I suppose we should expect a bit of inconsistency . As time goes on , the understanding strengthens and the consistency comes , hopefully in the second half of the season . 

29 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Agree with this.

It's baffling that the inconsistency is coming from not one or two being off the boil but more often 8 or 9 of them. 

Not surprised the gaffer rages when he's told them to come out fast, aggressive and hunting in packs but the players do the exact opposite. When they can't even start right, and the plan continues to be ignored, it's no surprise we are poor and drop points.

We need better players, winners, that's what will get us the consistency we're missing. 

10 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Yes , I'd agree with you . I think we would all have accepted where we are just now at the start of the season . It's relatively early days for SG and the team , so I suppose we should expect a bit of inconsistency . As time goes on , the understanding strengthens and the consistency comes , hopefully in the second half of the season . 

Totally agree, the problem with following the Rangers is that it's either euphoria or crisis!

I think SG is building and has probably exceeded expectation so far but to be in with a chance of winning 2 home games to go clear at the top for new year? Anyone would've taken that.

36 minutes ago, Vision said:

Don't know if you're fishing or not but this is probably how most of the players are thinking.

They'll probably go in to hivs 70/30 to win lose a goal the heeds al drap.

70/30 taigs to win lose a goal and it's last 3 years again.

Not fishing. I suspect we'll bottle it. I said this immediately after the hibs draw. I obviously want us to win both but I've I terrible dread that we'll lose both as the players will not stand up when it matters. 

It's further compounded by the latest injuries.

15 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Agree with this.

It's baffling that the inconsistency is coming from not one or two being off the boil but more often 8 or 9 of them. 

Not surprised the gaffer rages when he's told them to come out fast, aggressive and hunting in packs but the players do the exact opposite. When they can't even start right, and the plan continues to be ignored, it's no surprise we are poor and drop points.

We need better players, winners, that's what will get us the consistency we're missing. 

We could always do with better players , particularly a creative midfielder that can bring the attack into play . I don't see it happening tbh , other perhaps than a replacement for Ojaria . Obviously I  hope I'm wrong , but I think our finances will dictate that summer , with further funding , as when we'll invest in players . 

In the meantime I'm just hoping the longer the players play together , the more they'll get to know each other , and improve consistency . We've not helped ourselves by shuffling the team around , nor have suspensions and injuries let us consistently play a settled side . We need a good run of games to grow confidence . 

Our record this last few years vs hibs has been quite bad and don’t even get started on our humiliating record vs the taigs.

tavernier is the captain and if he’s showing psychological doubts for these 2 games then it will rub off on the rest.  Nothing less than 6 points will be acceptable, we really need 2 victories for a number of reasons

2 hours ago, Blueshoff said:

Today we had no Murphy, Dorrans, Arfield or Jack.  However you rate them it would have been a better team if all were available.

Consistency needs to improve but we never have a settled team.

Dorans is done mate. And there’s no way Murphy will come back as good a player after his ACL injury. That injury, for a winger, is a game-changer. But definitely missing the other two. 

6 hours ago, tannerall said:

we're halfway through the season and it's all set up nicely for us to pressure the taigs. The next 2 games will either leave us biting at their heels with all to play for, knowing we have their measure if we win, or set us back three months if we lose. 

Can Steve handle the pressure and lead us to an unexpected victory in both ?

He didn't do bad in Istanbul.

Been said before but, if you were given the option of our season so far, back in June we would have taken it.

January window could be crucial for us. I said back in Novenber we need a top quality number 10 that can dictate play and score goals.

The rumour mill claims Steve Davis is a possibility, he fits that bill perfectly. He may be getting on but his experience in the EPL and his knowledge of Rangers and what is expected could be the signing we need.

We also need another striker if Alfie gets injured we will really struggle.