Morelos New Contract

Lloyd

If he's wanting away in the summer, his agent's just made that more difficult for him by strengthening Rangers hand. 

If the deals to leave were in place or close, and suited Morelos and his agent, then why make it cost clubs millions more to make it happen for the sake of a few more grand a week between now and summer? It will likely take options off the table for him now.

Player happy, agent happy, club happy. He's now staying, for the reasons he himself has given, unless bonkers bids come in which I'd imagine the club would consider mid 20s to be.

Just now, 6superbarry6 said:

Why, a release clause doesn’t benefit the club in any way?

Obviously it is a matter of opinion, and although I hope he stays at least another year, it is my opinion he will be off in the summer.  If the release clause is set very high, agreed by both the club and Alfredo, then that should be the amount we dictate.  Will be higher than we would expect if he hadn't signed a new extension.  It is one of the ways these contracts work nowadays.

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

If he's wanting away in the summer, his agent's just made that more difficult for him by strengthening Rangers hand. 

If the deals to leave were in place or close, and suited Morelos and his agent, then why make it cost clubs millions more to make it happen for the sake of a few more grand a week between now and summer? It will likely take options off the table for him now.

Player happy, agent happy, club happy. He's now staying, for the reasons he himself has given, unless bonkers bids come in which I'd imagine the club would consider mid 20s to be.

The higher the fee we get the higher the fee the agent will get. 

25 minutes ago, RDB14 said:

To be fair, when did we last see a player make the impact Alfie did?  His extensions have all been deserved, he was on relative peanuts when he signed and now he has several clubs with money to burn courting him if rumours are to be believed.

Im glad it's an extension and not just a salary increase.  I take this a bit differently from others and hope this means we are going to try and keep him one more season.

In terms of impact I think the last player in the kind of form he is in was probably Kenny Miller in 10/11. But completely different scenarios to then. We couldn’t afford to give him a new deal so sold him to Bursaspor.

I think I’d be more comfortable with this if he was scoring goals against celtic and was better in the Europa League Group Stages than he was. 

We are actively trying to get as much for him as possible, that’s clear. But I’m worried about whether this extra outlay will actually be realised in the final price. 

Think this probably means he's away after this season in all honesty. £150k extra in wages for Alfie and a nice big release clause which has now been upped to something similar to what Robertson mentioned. Rangers win because the release clause is higher; Alfie wins because he's getting paid more and the agent wins because he'll get a bigger cut of the inflated fee. £150k now to make an extra, say, £5m in the summer seems good business.

Let's enjoy him while he's here.

26 minutes ago, Gazza2258 said:

I hope there is, and it's high.  

What you mean is you hope there isn't?

A lot of people don't seem to understand that release clauses aren't good for a club. Selling club has nothing to gain from an amount that they have to accept. 

17 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

In terms of impact I think the last player in the kind of form he is in was probably Kenny Miller in 10/11. But completely different scenarios to then. We couldn’t afford to give him a new deal so sold him to Bursaspor.

I think I’d be more comfortable with this if he was scoring goals against celtic and was better in the Europa League Group Stages than he was. 

We are actively trying to get as much for him as possible, that’s clear. But I’m worried about whether this extra outlay will actually be realised in the final price. 

Yeah but he bullied the celtic defence last game and scored a few for us in the Europa.  Im hoping us increasing his deal is more about us trying to hang onto him another season and not letting his contract slowly wind down to ensure we get maximum value when we sell.

It's a very smart move by the club, however, I do believe there is a part of him that loves how he is treated by our fans. He wouldn't get that same feeling anywhere else in my opinion.

The money would be great,  but even that doesn't beat the adoration he is given, so he may very well give us one more season which would also guarantee him European games as top striker with the Quintessentially Greatest Club in the world :UK:

I expect we’ve removed a release clause from a previous contract by offering to pay him more. There’s probably a loose term like “should an offer over X amount from an EPL club come in, you can speak to them”.

If we could get another year out of him we’re laughing, but realistically we need to sell someone for good money to have money to spend on the team. Tav would probably be the most likely at present

Brilliant move this! We all know he's most likely off come summer but now this will merit a guaranteed large fee for him from the clubs that throw cash around like it's nothing. No brainer on his end either, being able to command a much higher wage when contract talks begin.