Closing In On Britt Assombanlonga

Rangers are closing in on the signing of Middlesbrough striker Britt Assombalonga, according to a report.

The DR Congo frontman has been told he can leave the Riverside and is highly unlikely to play for Neil Warnock's men again.

But the one-time £15million attacker is reportedly willing to take a major wage cut to seal a move to Glasgow and join Steven Gerrard's men this summer.

TEAMtalk say Assombalonga is wanted by a host of Championship clubs, as well as French and German sides, but he wants to make the move north.

Assombalonga failed to hit the heights expected of him when he joined Boro in a big money deal from Nottingham Forest but has hit 49 goals in 167 appearances for the Championship outfit.

If true I assume Gerrard will be wanting his transfer business done early.  I hope none of our strikers will leave tho🇬🇧🇬🇧

I hope not. He's done nothing for a good few years. I don't think he's the type of player we need. He looks lazy and doesn't have the work ethic that's needed up here. Warnock has had enough of his shite and told him a few weeks ago that he wouldn't feature again this season.

1 minute ago, Goianegra said:

Could be a shrewd move. He's not had the best scoring season but looks to have scored pretty consistently in the Championship before this season and must have something for a club like Middlesbrough to spend that much on him.

He's not had a decent season for 4 years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lCMot0VSuAo

Looks strong and direct with good finishing based on the YouTube highlights, don't know if he is a highlight reel player who does nothing most of the time.

If our management have identified him as the player to go for, then I trust them.

If both he and Sakala are coming in, then we must be planning on shifting a few out. Most likely Defoe and Morelos.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lCMot0VSuAo

Looks strong and direct with good finishing based on the YouTube highlights, don't know if he is a highlight reel player who does nothing most of the time.

If our management have identified him as the player to go for, then I trust them.

If both he and Sakala are coming in, then we must be planning on shifting a few out. Most likely Defoe and Morelos.

Sakala could be the natural Right/left sided forward we are missing.

9 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Sakala could be the natural Right/left sided forward we are missing.

Even so, that is a position taken up by either roofe, aribo or hagi. I can't see us bloating the squad too much more by bringing these guys in without losing some of the more established regulars.

I don't see any of the above 3 being sold this summer as their value won't be at its peak quite yet.

Gut feeling is that Morelos will be away for good money and Defoe will move on also.

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

29 next season, be on big wages, has 16 goals since the beginning of last season and rumours of a poor attitude.

Not the kind of signing we look to make these days.

I've spoken to a few of my Boro fan mates and they say his attitude stinks and is lazy. They doubt he would fit our system.

He could of left before but is happy just collecting his wages.

6 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

I take him to be honest. 

Good goalscoring record in the Championship, and seems to have been a key player there up until he fell out with Warnock. 

Warnock’s a cunt though, so I’d be more concerned if he didn’t fall out with him.

Plenty of no hopers good records there. If you’re even a half decent finisher you’ll score 20 goals a season easily. It’s an awful league in terms of quality from 5th place down.