Crowds

14 hours ago, Kaydubya11 said:

Pittodrie was 24,000 in the 80s...

Before the Beach End was redeveloped. We used to get the smaller  Paddock Stand to the left of the camera position as we see present day as the Beach End was the traditional home of the Sheepies, however as the antagonism between the Clubs grew, they had to switch us to the Beach End as it was the nearest to where our buses were parked. Younger Bears may not believe this, but Aberdeen used to be a great away day trip, whilst there was rivalry of course, there was not the vitriol that surrounds the game today.

On 17/07/2021 at 22:36, Jakes Pal said:

Before the Beach End was redeveloped. We used to get the smaller  Paddock Stand to the left of the camera position as we see present day as the Beach End was the traditional home of the Sheepies, however as the antagonism between the Clubs grew, they had to switch us to the Beach End as it was the nearest to where our buses were parked. Younger Bears may not believe this, but Aberdeen used to be a great away day trip, whilst there was rivalry of course, there was not the vitriol that surrounds the game today.

Absolutely. In the 70s many buses stayed in Aberdeen until midnight and then travelled home in the early hours. The road network was poorer then and Central belt to Aberdeen was about 4 hours for a bus.  We used to go to pubs and dancing and the local girls turned out while the local guys were nowhere to be seen.

I remember one night hundreds of bears were queuing to get into the Palace nightclub and with about 100 of us left to get in the manager declared it was full. The senior plod present went up to him and said "No you are not, I want them in there not out here" referring to us bears that were still waiting to get in. 

Unfortunately as relationships between the two sets of fans deteriorated plod stopped the buses staying in the city after the game, after that we used to go down to Stonehaven. 

On 21/07/2021 at 13:35, Brubear said:

Absolutely. In the 70s many buses stayed in Aberdeen until midnight and then travelled home in the early hours. The road network was poorer then and Central belt to Aberdeen was about 4 hours for a bus.  We used to go to pubs and dancing and the local girls turned out while the local guys were nowhere to be seen.

I remember one night hundreds of bears were queuing to get into the Palace nightclub and with about 100 of us left to get in the manager declared it was full. The senior plod present went up to him and said "No you are not, I want them in there not out here" referring to us bears that were still waiting to get in. 

Unfortunately as relationships between the two sets of fans deteriorated plod stopped the buses staying in the city after the game, after that we used to go down to Stonehaven. 

I had many a pleasant evening, post match, in Aberdeen. 

One was that pleasant that I missed my supporters bus home at midnight. :whistle:

2 hours ago, eastwoodbear said:

One was that pleasant that I missed my supporters bus home at midnight. :whistle:

You wouldn't be the only one to do that. We regularly came home 1 or 2 short. Often they had got lucky and had no intention of getting the bus back. Not that I am implying that was the situation in your case😉

2 minutes ago, Brubear said:

You wouldn't be the only one to do that. We regularly came home 1 or 2 short. Often they had got lucky and had no intention of getting the bus back. Not that I am implying that was the situation in your case😉

Of course not, I had every intention of getting the bus but... :love:

5 hours ago, eastwoodbear said:

East coast visits in general were a pleasure in those days. The female population were more liberal in attitude. Nothing wrong with that they were brilliant.

On 21/07/2021 at 13:35, Brubear said:

Was the reason the buses stayed until midnight not due to the driver hours regulations at the time.  Anyway was the Palace the one just a few yards off Union St?

6 hours ago, eastwoodbear said:

You're not alone in that, got the cattle train one year as I was working on the Sunday, missed half my shift but well worth it.  :mutley:

19 minutes ago, BallochBear said:

Was the reason the buses stayed until midnight not due to the driver hours regulations at the time.  Anyway was the Palace the one just a few yards off Union St?

Yes regarding Palace location. Can't remember the street it was on but you went off Union sheet and it was tucked in up a lane if that street. I think so anyway but over 40 years ago so could be wrong. Don't know about drivers hours, but we took two drivers as we left at 8 am and didn't get back until around 4 on Sunday morning. We used to arrive at noon giving us enough time for lunch, usually a pub meal. I think Plod started insisting busses didn't arrive before 2 and leave by 6 once there started to be trouble at the games.  Games were all Sat 3pm KO back then. 

3 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

No reason for it not to be. There is no longer a requirement for physical distancing from Monday so the application for a full Ibrox should be a formality 

Hope your right mate they’ll see 23k to 48k to big a jump though 

A complete nonsense. Outdoor events over 5000 people will need permission from local authorities indefinitely. They genuinely haven't set an end date in the legislation when this requirement to seek permission ends.

So we rely on Glasgow City Council to give us permission to hold every home game at full capacity. I think you can see where this is going.

I hope I have picked this up wrong, but if clubs have to continue to apply to the council for each game then that is a fucking joke to be honest. Can anyone trust Glasgow City Council to do Rangers any favours on a regular basis?

All this is going to do is put uncertainty in the air about crowd numbers authorised at future games and unfortunately, the rug can be pulled from underneath the club at any time with fuck all notice.  We now have a situation where the local authority or central gov can fuck over the club regarding fan numbers - getting treated a bit like the travel industry, with utter contempt.

4 minutes ago, Pure_Quality said:

A complete nonsense. Outdoor events over 5000 people will need permission from local authorities indefinitely. They genuinely haven't set an end date in the legislation when this requirement to seek permission ends.

So we rely on Glasgow City Council to give us permission to hold every home game at full capacity. I think you can see where this is going.

Ffs I never knew that was still going to be in place with no date for it to end. 

5 minutes ago, Almacger said:

I hope I have picked this up wrong, but if clubs have to continue to apply to the council for each game then that is a fucking joke to be honest. Can anyone trust Glasgow City Council to do Rangers any favours on a regular basis?

All this is going to do is put uncertainty in the air about crowd numbers authorised at future games and unfortunately, the rug can be pulled from underneath the club at any time with fuck all notice.  We now have a situation where the local authority or central gov can fuck over the club regarding fan numbers - getting treated a bit like the travel industry, with utter contempt.

I said in the match tread any normal country would have had the SFA/SPFL fully updated this morning so they could tell everyone what exactly was going to happen after she had spoken, but we live in a dictatorship so no chance of that.

She will love football fans, especially us, not knowing what is happening.