With what is available, how does Gerrard change it?

The Ibrox Derry

I find it strange that as talented as Gerrard was as a midfielder he hasn't addressed that area. He has brought in Andy King, Zungu, Bacuna and Lundstram. Hardly inspiring. We should have found a way to get Veerman or similar.

We only have two natural wingers at the club in Kent and Wright. Yet he keeps playing Aribo and Hagi out wide. Both are inside forwards, #10 if you like.

Recruit Gilmour in January for 4 months. He is the engine required in midfield.

The whole set up is not working.

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

I actually wouldn’t mind losing that goal from the back last night if I could see what we’re trying to achieve by doing it. 

We’re not exactly passing through teams beating their first and second press to create situations where the team is out of position. 

All we’re doing is rolling it 3 yards to Goldson who either launches it 60 yards or plays a 5 yard pass to Tav and then gets it back again to go to Balogun 

Said the same on another post, keeper gives it to Goldson, Goldson gives it to Tav, he kicks it down the park and the opposition return it as quick as possible because we're that far back we're playing their forwards onside - which someone from the coaching staff could tell us the benefit of doing this - it's fuckin suicidal in my opinion 

Just now, bluenoz said:

I find it strange that as talented as Gerrard was as a midfielder he hasn't addressed that area. He has brought in Andy King, Zungu, Bacuna and Lundstram. Hardly inspiring. We should have found a way to get Veerman or similar.

We only have two natural wingers at the club in Kent and Wright. Yet he keeps playing Aribo and Hagi out wide. Both are inside forwards, #10 if you like.

Recruit Gilmour in January for 4 months. He is the engine required in midfield.

The whole set up is not working.

How many players do we want who play the ball side to side 

2 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

I actually wouldn’t mind losing that goal from the back last night if I could see what we’re trying to achieve by doing it. 

We’re not exactly passing through teams beating their first and second press to create situations where the team is out of position. 

All we’re doing is rolling it 3 yards to Goldson who either launches it 60 yards or plays a 5 yard pass to Tav and then gets it back again to go to Balogun 

Said this for weeks it only ends up in us getting harried and the ball going out for a throw or we just go long anyway. 

39 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

How many players do we want who play the ball side to side 

Passing side to side isn’t the problem, it’s a standard tactic of teams trying to pull players playing in low blocks out of shape, it’s the speed of our play where it lets us down.

36 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

we have become really slow in possession, Gilmour passes quickly and accurately and then moves into space himself.

For me, it's a no-brainer.

If we could get him it would completely transform our team. How slowly we move the ball is one of our biggest issues and he would instantly address that. 

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

If we could get him it would completely transform our team. How slowly we move the ball is one of our biggest issues and he would instantly address that. 

Yes but he's not a player who will score or assist that many. We would need a player like that alongside him. Gilmour would effectively replace Davis imo

3 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

No urgency and hunger for a result but think our defence gifted it too then rather they were up for a win, gave them confidence, our goalie started the game like a rabbit in the headlights, looked nervous. After Morelos goal they should’ve rag dolled them but no same old predictable stuff and the mutton going away happy as sheep in shit with what they came for, a draw courtesy of us truly.

Yes maybe you have a point, but after the first goal it looked like they wanted it more.

Sitting in the East Enclosure it was in front of me, but to be honest I would need to see both of their goals again because it all happens so quickly, I just at the moment cannot look at it. :sad:

I think we need a lot more from Kamara too. He hasn’t really turned up this season, which isn’t acceptable at the best of times, but it’s even worse when we’ve just given him a new bumper contract too. With no Jack and Davis slowing down a lot he needs to be stepping up and taking more responsibility.

31 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Passing side to side isn’t the problem, it’s a standard tactic of teams trying to pull players playing in low blocks out of shape, it’s the speed of our play where it lets us down.

We are far too slow in everything we do when coming forward with the ball, and it means we are also too predictable. 

So much missing from our play right now.

We don't move the ball quickly enough. Takes ages and gives other teams time to get back into shape. 

Our pressing game is non-existent now. We don't go after the ball in packs and seem to drop deeper instead of pushing up during games. 

I also don't know why we've stopped having a player on the post at set pieces. If someone was there, that brown goal doesn't happen it's cleared. 

Gerrard and coaching team need to be looking at this and making improvements.

1 minute ago, BlueKnight87 said:

So much missing from our play right now.

We don't move the ball quickly enough. Takes ages and gives other teams time to get back into shape. 

Our pressing game is non-existent now. We don't go after the ball in packs and seem to drop deeper instead of pushing up during games. 

I also don't know why we've stopped having a player on the post at set pieces. If someone was there, that brown goal doesn't happen it's cleared. 

Gerrard and coaching team need to be looking at this and making improvements.

Sounds like the players have stopped listening to Gerrad? Perhaps there does come a time in football when they have just heard everything that a manager has to say 

13 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I think we need a lot more from Kamara too. He hasn’t really turned up this season, which isn’t acceptable at the best of times, but it’s even worse when we’ve just given him a new bumper contract too. With no Jack and Davis slowing down a lot he needs to be stepping up and taking more responsibility.

Agree. You’re not trying to tell me that a player of his quality has nothing to offer going forward.

2 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

Sounds like the players have stopped listening to Gerrad? Perhaps there does come a time in football when they have just heard everything that a manager has to say 

I honestly think it's a tactical switch. 

Outside of wanting to conserve energy, I don't know why it's been dropped.

I don't think these players are going fuck it let's just drop back. Imagine coaching staff would be going off on one if they didn't follow instructions to the letter.

19 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Simple question??, not so simple answer.

We have been way way short this season so far, nobody will argue that iam sure, we've got away with a few games by the skin of our teeth, mainly Hibs at home, stjohnstone, Dundee, St mirren away.

Any ideas on how he turns this round with what is available?

By always winning the next game is the answer.

Our best chance of doing that is being as consistent as possible in team selection and playing Allan McGregor every game.