With what is available, how does Gerrard change it?

The Ibrox Derry

14 hours ago, DBBTB said:

The way we play. 

Like I’ve just said in another thread that’s easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. Go back to any thread from May, June or July and almost to a man people on here were talking about the importance of trying to keep the squad together.

Rather than spunk whatever money was had on Lundstram, Sakala, Simpson and the lad with the heart condition, we should have brought in one player who was markedly better than what we had in that position. None of those mentioned above are as good as the players who were already here.

35 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He may well have some claim to training with the first team squad etc and maybe getting a run as a sub, but a hat trick against a mid table League One side in a cup no one cares about isn’t really much of an indicator of first team potential.

Think the first team would struggle to score against Alloa tbf mate. 

Assuming we continue with the 433 then I want to see Patterson given a run on the right hand side of the midfield, Tav might even get more confidence if he is not expected to do all the attacking but also gives them the chance to swap at times.

We need players who want to win the game more than the opposition and Nathan apart from his ability gives us that. It was hellish last night seeing the :aberdeen: more up for winning than we were.

No idea what to do for other positions but this is one I believe could help. 

1 minute ago, Bears r us said:

Assuming we continue with the 433 then I want to see Patterson given a run on the right hand side of the midfield, Tav might even get more confidence if he is not expected to do all the attacking but also gives them the chance to swap at times.

We need players who want to win the game more than the opposition and Nathan apart from his ability gives us that. It was hellish last night seeing the :aberdeen: more up for winning than we were.

Maybe worth a try mate because fuck all else has worked so far this season. I’m desperately hoping a fit,  on form Kent is back. 

The thing I've often wondered, for having a manager and assistant manager who both scored some spectacular long range goals, why are we so scared to have a pop from distance? Are they encouraged not to shoot? So many times things open up and you think just hit it, then nothing, a sideways or backwards pass. 

6 minutes ago, BlueAvenger said:

Maybe worth a try mate because fuck all else has worked so far this season. I’m desperately hoping a fit,  on form Kent is back. 

Nathan is too good a player to be on the bench while others keep being played IMO.

A Kent back to some form would be a good thing for sure. :thumbup:

Needs to drop the pals act with certain players in our squad. Have thought for a while there is something not quite right within the squad.

Goldson should be moved on in January and Katic recalled if a decent replacement cant be found. Tav needs moved aside for Patterson.

I would also look to move one of Kamara, Aribo or Hagi on and freshen up our midfield. The team are stale at the moment.

I think big decisions are going to have to be made but unsure Gerrard has it in him to do so.

8 minutes ago, SheriffHood said:

The thing I've often wondered, for having a manager and assistant manager who both scored some spectacular long range goals, why are we so scared to have a pop from distance? Are they encouraged not to shoot? So many times things open up and you think just hit it, then nothing, a sideways or backwards pass. 

Definitely encouraged not to shoot and I suspect it’s because xG says it doesn’t create clear chances.

15 minutes ago, SheriffHood said:

This was my point last night too, we're trying to walk it in rather than mixing it up with some long shots which we seem to have forgotten have saved us sometimes in the past. 

Additionally as much as we actually managed to get a few good corners in last night, generally our corners struggle to beat the first man which is incredibly poor given we tend to get a lot of corners.

12 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Drop the old pals act and stop this shite at bye kicks that cost us the first last night. Every time we do it gives me the fear, long before last  night.

You know what is so daft is taking a short goal kick only for goldson to launch it up the park anyway. Teams that do the high press can be undone by more direct balls or by intricate one touch quick passing triangles which will knacker the opposition chasing shadows.

We try to do the latter but we can’t string together more than a couple of 5 yard passes at a time.

30 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

No urgency and hunger for a result but think our defence gifted it too then rather they were up for a win, gave them confidence, our goalie started the game like a rabbit in the headlights, looked nervous. After Morelos goal they should’ve rag dolled them but no same old predictable stuff and the mutton going away happy as sheep in shit with what they came for, a draw courtesy of us truly.

4 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

That’s bollox mate, no way is SG saying don’t have a pop.

Take a look at some goals from 55, the number of goals outside of the box was double figures, this season we haven’t even had double figures of SHOTS outside the box.

13 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Drop the old pals act and stop this shite at bye kicks that cost us the first last night. Every time we do it gives me the fear, long before last  night.

Aye and me - would like someone from the coaching staff to explain the reason for it and what benefit it brings to the team - usually keeper gives the ball to Goldson, he passes to Tav and he kicks the ball down the park, opposition return the ball as quick as possible and we're that far back their forwards are played onside - fuckin suicidal 

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He may well have some claim to training with the first team squad etc and maybe getting a run as a sub, but a hat trick against a mid table League One side in a cup no one cares about isn’t really much of an indicator of first team potential.

But I should imagine the young lad's confidence is through the roof and particularly with strikers its half the battle.

Worth a run out off the bench IMO.

42 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

I think they can if they change the roles.

Have Morelos right on the shoulder of the last defender, rag dolling them like he used to, running the channels etc. Then have Roofe doing the dropping off, space investigating, late runs into the box etc.

Right now both are doing none of that.

You're right, particularly Morelos (closing ground quickly) staying on his feet and using his body.

I actually wouldn’t mind losing that goal from the back last night if I could see what we’re trying to achieve by doing it. 

We’re not exactly passing through teams beating their first and second press to create situations where the team is out of position. 

All we’re doing is rolling it 3 yards to Goldson who either launches it 60 yards or plays a 5 yard pass to Tav and then gets it back again to go to Balogun 

1 hour ago, King Jela said:

Fair enough. When did you see him playing at left back? 

I have a theory about profession football players in that if they are a defender/striker etc with a bit of coaching they can definitely play slightly out of position. I’m not meaning a striker playing defence btw. So we see how balagun  turned in a few MOTM performances at RB. There’s no reason why LB can’t be worked on.  

I am sick of watching Borna never putting a tackle in, getting caught marking the wrong dude and leaving the match with a kit that won’t need washed. 
he reminds me of Lee Wallace a one footed distracted player who had a good spell of 6 months with us and fed off that for the rest of his time with us.  Borna is in that mould. Bassey looks awful and Balagun looks like he could do a job. 
imo of course