With what is available, how does Gerrard change it?

The Ibrox Derry

For me, it’s not about personnel, it’s about how we’re set up.

The old pressing and hunting in packs has gone (fuck knows why because it worked) and we’re fannying about from side to side while their inferior players get all the time they need to organise and set up and pick up our forwards while we’re still not at the halfway line.

They get encouragement, they get brave, they sneak a goal or even two, then we bitch about time wasting for the rest of the game. Fucking desperate.

Im assuming our best eleven (until Helander, Jack and Kent are available) is McGregor, Tavernier/Patterson, Goldson, Balogun, Barisic/Bassey, Kamara, Davis, Aribo, Hagi, Roofe, Morelos.

That team is good enough to beat every other SPFL team home and away IF WE PLAY THE WAY WE DID LAST SEASON.

We don’t need a wholesale clear out, we simply need to work harder. Certain stars of last season (eg Kamara) are going backwards and, as well as not helping our cause, their values in the market are falling should anyone want to buy them.

This is so blindingly obvious, I despair that our management team can’t see it. Press hard, win it back and/or force errors, get a couple of goals in front and we won’t be chasing games against mediocre players who are better at winning fouls than they are at winning matches.

4 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I don’t think we’re allowed to slate Tav on this forum. But I agree with every word!

Would actually like to see his cross percentage as well! By all means he does create a chance or two but the amount that hit the first man as well is fucking unreal! 

Just now, Jamie29 said:

The only country in the world after 1 full round of fixtures the manager at the top of the pile 2 points clear is under pressure.

I get your point but it’s the change in dynamics.. We were 6 and could/should have been 8 points ahead, we’ve now got a lead that’s literally on a knife edge! 

29 minutes ago, MattyBlue said:

I don’t understand where the flare, the one touch passing, the triangles, the off the ball movement where has it all gone? How does the same group of players who where so dominant last season just change so dramatically and become some pish ?

They’re too busy worrying the crowd might get on their back to play well, is the simple answer. They don’t have the mentality. Last season is looking more like an aberration with each passing game tbh. 

2 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

He isn’t under pressure from anyone that actually makes decisions

He’s not but something needs to change quickly or he will be! Decembers going to be tough, we can’t afford to sleep walk into it and go into the OF needing to win to catch up! 

14 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Not necessarily that but they started with 1 defensive midfielder tonight with two Cams, 2 wingers and a striker.

we start every game with 3 CDM’s

I get their style is gung ho and score 6 if they score 5 but honestly I’ve never understood for 90% of even our home games why we don’t let the front 3, 2 from midfield and one or both full backs run riot with protection given by the CBs the CM and one of the full backs. 

It’s killing us consistently, as soon as any of our CDMs get the ball it’s angled 5 yard passes sideways or backwards, not one either has the balls or the options of 3 or 4 players flying by him for a pass 

There’s umpteen things he can do but he doesn’t want to or he doesn’t know how 

We could easily set up like a normal football team and bin this ‘inside 10’ pish which usually just leads to me wondering where the fuck our supposed ‘two number 10’s’ are for the full game.

We could play a 4-2-3-1 with Davis and Kamara sitting, Hagi or Aribo at 10 with Sakala and Wright out wide. You could even make Patterson one of the wide players if you don’t want to drop Tav. That would certainly get the best out of Hagi and give us pace in the wide areas along with giving Tav and Bassey someone to link with, draw men and create space for them.

We could bin a central midfielder against dross like Aberdeen and play a 4-4-2 with 2 wide players with any combination of Morelos, Sakala, Roofe and Defoe if he’s fit through the middle 

If he wants to stay 4-3-3 which is kind of what we play we could do that with some natural width/pace as well to mix it up 

If he won’t change system then a key change would be a shift in mentality from this safe passing to playing with a bit more purpose and getting back to pressing teams like we have done in the past. We look like a soft touch just now in every department 

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

I get their style is gung ho and score 6 if they score 5 but honestly I’ve never understood for 90% of even our home games why we don’t let the front 3, 2 from midfield and one or both full backs run riot with protection given by the CBs the CM and one of the full backs. 

It’s killing us consistently, as soon as any of our CDMs get the ball it’s angled 5 yard passes sideways or backwards, not one either has the balls or the options of 3 or 4 players flying by him for a pass 

It’s an absolute embarrassment to play like that. Not only that, but look at our subs and tactics against Hearts and St Mirren when winning.

I’d love to know if this is Gerrard or Beale.

13 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

I have to wonder what each of our midfielders is categorised under according to the coaching staff

8C78DE22-2A7A-4490-A7F5-056E9891E239.jpeg

Mental that talks about movement and unpredictability when he coaches the most static, predictable midfield I’ve seen

We also don’t have one midfielder I’d class in any of those categories, certainly not an engineer or a fucking magician 

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

Simply put we aren't scoring enough goals. 

Or attacking enough to create chances to score. It's been the same all season. We rarely create a situation where it's our striker in on goal against the keeper for a 1v1.

It's all about crosses and set pieces for us. I know they are a big part of the game especially in Scotland for fuck me it's boring as fuck watching us use that as our only creative outlet.

9 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Kent in the past has had his fair share of criticism but we badly miss him at times, tonight is one of those games I would be expecting Kent to conjour something up for us

Aye and even if he's not on form then he's at least tracking back and putting a shift in. He has been a huge loss. Sooner he's back the better.