Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

Just now, MisterC said:

Well I can think of one manager who would be good. His current club are punching way about their weight in the league they are in and are going great guns despite a small budget. His plan speaking and authorative manner would go down well with the fans too. He's overdue a shot at a big club and for me, we could do a lot worse than go for Dick Campbell.

:mutley:

Just now, Broxi said:

Goldson would have, Hagi was not doing well at Genk and Kent was not hot property, I think we easily would have still got him on loan with another manager

Goldson openly said he was only here because of Gerrard

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/connor-goldson-im-here-because-of-steven-gerrard-q75qgvrqq

Hagis dad made mention of Gerrard influencing the decision

Kent would have quite easily found loan deals in the English Championships 

Gerrards presence patently has been an influence, it’s a bit silly to suggest it hasn’t, he was one of the more iconic football players of the last 20 years

I still think it's bollocks (until it happens of course. Which it either will, or will not). 

It could potentially work in our favour though, if he came calling back in the January window for say, Kent & Kamara. £30m? Wipe out the potential deficit and give the board a bit of leeway to reinvest in the squad. 

I'm just playing along though. I still think he'll be here to the end of the season.

Just now, BlueboyG said:

Every paper in the country had Eddie Howe on his way to sign on with the scum, ended up a load of pish, pretty much the same as this shite.

It was not a load of pish though, he was very clearly in talks with them for ages

Only about 2 weeks ago Gerrard told an interviewer “not to ask silly questions” when asked about leaving for Newcastle. 

After winning the league he spoke about it only being the start and how hungry he is for more success (meaning silverware, not achieving 15th place in the league). 

Possibly being naive as fuck here but I just can’t see him leaving us a third of the way through a campaign. 

7 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

From FF, so take with a massive pinch of salt:

Chris Jack of Herald says he's off, deal almost done, gone by Friday. £5m compensation. Hearing this 2nd hand so make of it what you will.

Edit, I also don't know if Jack is a reliable source either.

Would hope we would be able to leverage more money for him than that (unless there is some ceiling in his contract).  Particularly so, if he’s going to take the entire back room team with him.

3 minutes ago, BlueboyG said:

Every paper in the country had Eddie Howe on his way to sign on with the scum, ended up a load of pish, pretty much the same as this shite.

Awww shut up ffs, get your head out the sand

Just now, Dennis Reynolds said:

Goldson openly said he was only here because of Gerrard

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/connor-goldson-im-here-because-of-steven-gerrard-q75qgvrqq

Hagis dad made mention of Gerrard influencing the decision

Kent would have quite easily found loan deals in the English Championships 

Gerrards presence patently has been an influence, it’s a bit silly to suggest it hasn’t, he was one of the more iconic football players of the last 20 years

Because it was the hot thing to say at the time and the press were framing the questions for them to say it, players say it all the time about whatever manager is in charge at the club.

Hagi was near flopping at Genk and we're bigger than them. If any Rangers manager wanted to take him he'd have came. Kent had already taken loans in the Championship and had struggled. Goldson was a £3m defender, post heart surgery and behind 2/3 excellent CBs at Brighton at the time. I see very little about the players we signed that suggests we'd have never got them without Gerrard

1 minute ago, GabrielTomato said:

I'd assume we're leaking the fuck out of this because the Board are fucked off with him?

It hasn't felt a particularly rosey relationship the last few months TBF.

Everything has been coming from Villa side isn't it? From the Jack article it looks like he got it from the same source.