Goldson

GOAT

22 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

You say trophies like he's won loads here, if we dont get our finger out in April he'll leave with one winners medal, for us fans the europa last 8 etc is phenomenal, because we love the club, he doesn't, he'd prefer playing against united, city, liverpool, arsenal, Chelsea, spurs, newcastle, west ham and even villa, thats 18 games a season that are miles above every game in scotland bar the OF, 

Look at our recent game away to st johnstone, the state of the home crowd, the pitch, the opponents, now check the likes of city away to palace last night, for someone who doesng have a proper connection with the club its a no brainer to choose that down south

1. Every chance he could collect at least one more trophy before he goes.

2. That will still be a lot more than he’ll ever win down south.

3. Fully expect him to join a championship club. Blood and snorters at Luton on a Tuesday night in February instead of preparing for a CL or EL tie.

4. Our game is not rated in Ingerlund and an unbeaten season, league title and loads of European experience counts for nothing in their eyes.

3 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Just seen a story headline elsewhere about "GVB already has Goldson replacement lined up". Didn't read further as these clickbait things are all pish.

BUT..........

As we all believe, Goldson has been offered new terms and has not agreed them. He is therefore a free agent in around 10 weeks.

WE ARE......

● In Scottish Cup semi final

● Challenging for the league title

● 90 mins of half decent defending away from the last 8 of the Europa league

Almost certainly guaranteed Champions League football at Ibrox next season.

Connor Goldson is 29 and in his prime as an athlete. He is as good as he will ever be both physically and in terms of ability.

Before us, he left both Shrewsbury (106 league games in 5 years) and Brighton (32 league games in 3 years). He is our vice captain.

At Rangers he has played 52, 54 and 56 games in the last three seasons. He is on 46 so far this season and is likely to reach mid 50's again.

What does he think he's going to get elsewhere away from Ibrox Stadium that's better than what he has just now?

That’s a mad take on the league at the moment. 

42 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Is it not the likes of forest and West brom he's being linked with? He'll be playing at Hull, Preston and Blackpool next season.

So far, can still see the likes of a newly promoted EPL team taking a punt given he's a freebie, hell gerrard might even go for it as a squad player

19 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

So far, can still see the likes of a newly promoted EPL team taking a punt given he's a freebie, hell gerrard might even go for it as a squad player

I wouldn't be surprised if he's already signed a pre contract, and we've agreed the same with Doekhi, and it'll be held off announcing until the end of the season.

30 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Villa signing him is a decent shout, don’t expect Birmingham to be a big drive from the new house.

1 hour ago, Iakona said:

I still think he's playing it safe.

If we win the league and offer him guaranteed CL football then I can see him wanting to stay. However another season of the Europa League and going away to places like Dingwall, Perth, Dundee and playing on plastic pitches is probably not all that appealing anymore. Ambition doesn't come in to it when he's already won the league and seen us through to the last 16 of the EL on three consecutive occasions. 

He's approached the age where he will likely be negotiating the last big contract of his career. No one should blame him for wanting to maximise his earnings - and potentially have a crack at playing in the biggest and most watched league in the world.  Even playing for relegation fodder he will be pulling in more than we can offer with the bonus of playing against some of the best teams and players in the world.

Don't think hes playing it safe. He ain't staying past May 31st.

42 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

He’s operating on a whole different planet now. Signing guys like Coutinho, being linked with Suarez. He won’t be coming in for any of our players IMO. 

Can't see Goldson getting a move to Prem unless it's a team that gets promoted. Had a stormer for us last season but most of this season and in previous years he's too up and down. Has days when he's an absolute rock in defence combined with picking out outrageous cross field passes.

Then he'll have a game where he's hesitant on the ball, usually followed by a shite pass or getting caught combined with looking like a deer in the headlights when players run at him.

When he's on it the whole defence seem to play well but when he's not, it's what causes us to be shaky at the back I think.

That said, I wouldn't be against him staying, just wish he'd make his mind up (if he hasn't already decided on leaving).

16 minutes ago, SPWF said:

He’s operating on a whole different planet now. Signing guys like Coutinho, being linked with Suarez. He won’t be coming in for any of our players IMO. 

Not spending money wise, however a 50 game a season experienced centre half on a freebie is worth a punt as a backup, like we are doing with souttar

He gets alot of criticism but is our best CB. Consistent and its no coincidence SG and GVB play him every game. 

He has served us well. If he wants double wages then good luck to him but he wont play for a bigger club. Perhaps he is bored of the domestic scene - that is 4 years now of playing Livi Hibs and St Johnstone Aberdeen 5 or 6 times a season.

6 hours ago, Johnsey said:

Can't see Goldson getting a move to Prem unless it's a team that gets promoted. Had a stormer for us last season but most of this season and in previous years he's too up and down. Has days when he's an absolute rock in defence combined with picking out outrageous cross field passes.

Then he'll have a game where he's hesitant on the ball, usually followed by a shite pass or getting caught combined with looking like a deer in the headlights when players run at him.

When he's on it the whole defence seem to play well but when he's not, it's what causes us to be shaky at the back I think.

That said, I wouldn't be against him staying, just wish he'd make his mind up (if he hasn't already decided on leaving).

I feel exactly the same about the whole situation.
Don't mind him staying but let's see who is interested, for now he didn't sign anywhere.

14 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Doekhi is the replacement. Goldsons wife wants to move into that house he had built down south. Hes all but gone on May 31st.

You know something we don't pal? Didn't think we had signed doekhi

15 hours ago, MorelosRangers said:

He gets alot of criticism but is our best CB. Consistent and its no coincidence SG and GVB play him every game. 

He has served us well. If he wants double wages then good luck to him but he wont play for a bigger club. Perhaps he is bored of the domestic scene - that is 4 years now of playing Livi Hibs and St Johnstone Aberdeen 5 or 6 times a season.

He isn’t our best cb, that is Helander. Christ on a bike is all I can say if Goldson is the best we have 

38 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

He isn’t our best cb, that is Helander. Christ on a bike is all I can say if Goldson is the best we have 

It can’t be Helander because he never gets a clear run because of injury, fitness etc.  so for that alone he isn’t our best CB.  

I could see your point if he’d played over 150 games in three seasons. But he hasn’t 

you can’t be the best at anything if you’re hardly ever doing that thing.