McLeish on GVB

beararse

47 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

He did but couldn't keep it up or improve it. We were in free fall since last season, his heart wasn't in it and that seeped into the players. 

Like it or not the way he dumped us will always taint what he achieved, that's the way it goes. 

That might very well be true.

9 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Again with people trying to downplay how Gerrard did for us as a manager and make it look like he did fuck all when that clearly isn’t the case.

It’s getting boring now tbh. People need to let it go and move on.

Agreed.

I am sure it will come out in the wash at some point (what changed between Gerrard).

At the end of the day it looks like we will come out of this better. 

Lots focus on that positive and enjoy the prospect of a brighter future 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇬🇧🇦🇺

Just realised came in here to read "McCleish on GVB" 🤔😀

6 hours ago, The Godfather said:

He did but couldn't keep it up or improve it. We were in free fall since last season, his heart wasn't in it and that seeped into the players. 

Like it or not the way he dumped us will always taint what he achieved, that's the way it goes. 

In the business world there are managers who are very good at turnarounds and crisis management but not so great at stable operations.

Guys who come in, rip everything up, put in a new structure with new culture and then once it’s running they move on to their next project. They often are directive, aggressive and arrogant . They are successful in this area because they need that authoritarian directive action. This often does not translate well to a stable environment 

maybe that’s what Gerrard will be in the football world?

9 hours ago, The Godfather said:

Does anyone still gold a grudge against Souness? He dumped Rangers in worse circumstances, there was far less difference between Liverpool and the EPL then than there was Villa, the EPL and Rangers now.

9 hours ago, DBBTB said:

No but you did imply that you didn’t think he was in Glasgow enough in a way which read very much like a veiled dig about just how committed he was to the job through this time here.

Yes his commitment is clear to see.. as he prepares his team to face palace today. I'm not digging at the first three seasons but it was obvious he'd had enough after the transfer window shut in summer. The work he did with getting the squad up to shape and everything behind the scenes can't be denied but I think it's pretty obvious he lost interest to a degree this season and the players picked up on that. 

9 hours ago, The Godfather said:

Notwithstanding the timing and speedy manner in which he left, I think most of us were probably more upset at losing the figurehead of Gerrard at Rangers, rather than the manager.

He gave the club credibility when we were in a desperate state and drove up standards across the club.

He was EXACTLY what we needed at the time.

He delivered 55 and stopped 10IAR for which we are all truly thankful but let’s be honest, some of our League performances either side of last season were questionable and he was a baw hair from either getting punted or jacking it before lockdown.

1 hour ago, DiamondDan said:

Does anyone still gold a grudge against Souness? He dumped Rangers in worse circumstances, there was far less difference between Liverpool and the EPL then than there was Villa, the EPL and Rangers now.

I know a few folk who do with regards to Souness  

The biggest reason Souness is now highly regarded by the majority is what happened with Walter afterwards . If that 91 title had not been won then Souness would probably not have been as highly thought of today. 

Also I think Souness wanted to wait until the end of the season but it was Murray who said go now as Rangers should never be a second choice for the manager while he is in the Ibrox dugout . Gerrard appeared to sneak off like a snake

2 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

I did for a fair bit after Souness left but as the other poster said the season finished on a high and Walter then led us onto great success domestically.

Souness revolutionised not just us but also Scottish football to a level that probably hadn’t been seen since the late 60’s early 70’s.

Whilst Liverpool weren’t great as a team, it was his club that he could take back to former glory.

SG left us for the first flirt from the EPL from a historical decent name but no chance of winning anything type club whereas I don’t think Souness would have as we could compete with their league at that time.

Sorry meant to add was easier looking back on Souness fondly with hindsight from the mid 90s as we had a good team, CL every year and some great players.

There is an unknown to what SG has left us with, time will tell.

Fickleness of fans , I put the semi loss firmly at his door but Europa qualification is GvB gain 😂😂

Sounds positive. The players certainly did seem to show a bit of a lift on Thursday, despite struggling a little at times but it will take time to settle in to Gio’s way of playing and his methods - especially that some of these players have played the same formation/strategy for the past 3 years.

Would love nothing more than for us to retain the league this year and see Gio lift the trophy and take us into the Champions League… admittedly there is a long way to go though. 

5 hours ago, Bakbear said:

In the business world there are managers who are very good at turnarounds and crisis management but not so great at stable operations.

Guys who come in, rip everything up, put in a new structure with new culture and then once it’s running they move on to their next project. They often are directive, aggressive and arrogant . They are successful in this area because they need that authoritarian directive action. This often does not translate well to a stable environment 

maybe that’s what Gerrard will be in the football world?

That is a fantastic take on things and one I’ve not heard before regarding Gerrard.

I find in my line of work it is much more enjoyable analysing and taking apart what has been proposed by others before me and coming up with a more efficient and/or appropriate solution.

Perhaps Gerrard got bored having changed everything he could.

Doesn’t justify leaving in the manner he did but it might ultimately prove the best for all parties. 

3 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

Souness gave us Walter who was head and shoulders above him as both a person and manager. If that is what GVB turns out for us then the ill feeling towards Gerrard will be more or less gone.

Gerrard was done in any case, he had us playing woeful football, a joke at the back and players didn't respond to him anymore. This group need a motivated and committed figurehead, both of which steven wasn't this season. 

I understand about players getting a new manager boost, maybe a wee tweak to the system or a players orders can jolt them into life and change their gameplay

But for the likes of pressing the opponents, working hard off the ball and giving it 100% on the park, if the players stopped doing that because gerrard was absent from training a lot or whatever, then it doesnt paint them in a good light either, no matter who takes the training or gives the teamtalks, players should give 100% no matter what

If the players stopped doing gerrards instructions all because they didnt like ehat was going on behind the scenes, then who's to say they don't do it again if they dont like the new methods eventually

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I understand about players getting a new manager boost, maybe a wee tweak to the system or a players orders can jolt them into life and change their gameplay

But for the likes of pressing the opponents, working hard off the ball and giving it 100% on the park, if the players stopped doing that because gerrard was absent from training a lot or whatever, then it doesnt paint them in a good light either, no matter who takes the training or gives the teamtalks, players should give 100% no matter what

If the players stopped doing gerrards instructions all because they didnt like ehat was going on behind the scenes, then who's to say they don't do it again if they dont like the new methods eventually

Most people skive when their boss is away i guess players are no different.

13 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Was probably more down to Gerrard losing interest and that filtered down to the players rather than them not wanting to follow instructions. Don’t think we’ll have any problems with Gio 

6 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

Big difference is Souness wanted to leave at the end of the season and was told to fuck off there and then, going to a club that actually meant something to him, whereas Gerrard went to Villa after his empty words.

Souness openly admitted he made a mistake and regrets leaving Ibrox when he did.

Gerrard has not... but he will.

Yes, I know a lot of older supporters that do, one thing about Souness though is he didn't take the whole backroom team so we still could function normally without many changes.

When I see posters stating magnificent bastard and all this nonsense I just think will they be saying this in a few years about Naismith and Whittaker.

Souness like Gerrard was never a Rangers man.

1 hour ago, Smile said:

Most people skive when their boss is away i guess players are no different.

Gerrard was here for games though, players, especially ones who are eyeing a move to bigger stage, shouldn't be downing tools on the park during games 

1 hour ago, TamCoopz said:

Was probably more down to Gerrard losing interest and that filtered down to the players rather than them not wanting to follow instructions. Don’t think we’ll have any problems with Gio 

Aye i can get that, but if gerrard lost interest to the point that he wasn't even instructing them to press, work off the ball etc, then we are definitely well shot of him, however i cant see it being that bad on matchdays, especially as gerrard was obviously looking for a move down south,