McLeish on GVB

beararse

It’s early days but last night filled me with the confidence that the players are very much on board with it. The determination and fight was apparent from the start until the end. 

Haven’t seen much of that for most of this season.

Really liked the determination from all players to keep the zero. Very much defended as a collective. Long may that continue as it should be and is nonnegotiable 

Funny how a manager/first team coach that will spend the whole week in Glasgow and be involved in training rather than just a couple of days a week for the game can make things better...

Gerrard brought us 55 and that should never be forgotten but we did just as much for him and his lack of commitment to the club is staggering.

6 minutes ago, gazza87 said:

Funny how a manager/first team coach that will spend the whole week in Glasgow and be involved in training rather than just a couple of days a week for the game can make things better...

Gerrard brought us 55 and that should never be forgotten but we did just as much for him and his lack of commitment to the club is staggering.

I assumed Gerrard was in Glasgow every day?

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

There has been a few rumours that he was spending a lot more time in Liverpool this season during the week than normal but I haven't heard that from anyone remotely reliable.

Is it true his family never moved up? That's bound to be a problem after 3 years. Perhaps the players picked up from his demeanour that wasn't quite as committed as he once was?

I think players have to know that the manager is going to be a big part of their future for them to give of their very best ... I remember Murray announcing at the shareholders meeting that Walter was away at the end of the 10 in a row season and he really couldn't have done anything worse to undermine the managers authority

3 hours ago, beararse said:

“The feedback I’ve heard [from my sources] of Giovanni on the training ground along, with his assistant Roy Makaay, has been really impressive. It is great to hear.

“It boosts the players. They’re maybe lacking a wee bit of belief at the moment with the sticky start to the season and losing in the cup.

“It looks like a wee bit of confidence has gone there.

“Giovanni, taking the coaching sessions, the training sessions, I’m hearing that the players were very, very impressed.”

I think you have to say that the board have come up trumps getting such a good replacement so quickly ... it could have dragged on and effectively ended the season but nothing could be further from the truth

28 minutes ago, tm91 said:

Would it matter either way? His kids are grown up, aren't they? (Edit - one is, anyway).

It really does help that Gio and his family have lived in Glasgow before. That's a big plus point that can't be underestimated. He doesn't have to get to know the city, he doesn't have to convince his partner to move, and he obviously doesn't have to miss them growing up the way Gerrard had to.

It would matter to Gio. Every family man would agree it's tough to live week in week out without your family. Kids grown up or not.

2 hours ago, gazza87 said:

Wait …. What?  I thought he was only going home on occasion.

7 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Again with people trying to downplay how Gerrard did for us as a manager and make it look like he did fuck all when that clearly isn’t the case.

It’s getting boring now tbh. People need to let it go and move on.

Don't think I said that though...

7 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Again with people trying to downplay how Gerrard did for us as a manager and make it look like he did fuck all when that clearly isn’t the case.

It’s getting boring now tbh. People need to let it go and move on.

It did become extremely stagnant though, no?