The positive points in defence

Pure_Quality

Just now, Pure_Quality said:

McGregor - Outstanding, should be no more debate about him still being our number one keeper.

Central defece: Goldson - was superb, marshalled both guys beside him superbly. King - despite the penalty, looks to be a tremendous prospect, a few great last ditch tackles. Ben Davies - had a fantastic game, looks like a player we paid good money for.

Given we've conceded too many goals this year in the league this should give us a decent platform to build upon. Going forward is still a problem, but tonight thought we did really very well.

Ben Davies was brutal in the first half (not just the free kick he conceded). Improved in the second half.

7 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Ben Davies was brutal in the first half (not just the free kick he conceded). Improved in the second half.

4 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Yes there should still be debate

Davies looked like the player we paid money for? He looked like a Sunday league player when he shafted us for the free kick

Disagree completely, thought he was excellent throughout. One foul against a team like them shouldn't sour an otherwise very good performance.

We are watching a team on its last legs basically. Too many of the first team are past their peak, have regressed or are just phoning in performances. Too many have stayed too long. . Many of them should have been sold/let Go/binned by now. Alfredo, Roofe,  Kent, Arfield, Davis, Kamara, Jack, Borna, Helander, McGregor ( I accept he had a great game tonight) and also for me, Tav and Goldson.

It’s grim reading. Add in a manager who’s style doesn’t suit the players or to be honest Rangers. And it’s a bit of a perfect storm. Technically we seem to have gotten worse, our passing, style and the basics are woeful. Our fitness levels now look poor as well.  We need to clear the decks and start again. But how the fuck we do that I don’t know. Will cost a fortune to replace manager and his staff and the players mentioned above, never mind get a new manager, who can do something with remaining players and probably a tiny budget. 

I don’t expect us to beat Liverpool on their own patch, but do expect us to give them a game. We just seem to have regressed so badly. Actually quite depressed about the season ahead. 

7 minutes ago, five stars said:

Our 3 centre backs were decent but it left us woefully short in midfield. 

It may of been better playing 2 and having an extra man in midfield.

We would have been better dropping one of the front 3 into midfield and pulling the other in closer to Morelos. He didn’t have a good game but was totally isolated up there with no one to link up with. If we had started with pace out wide as an outball then fine, but Tillman isn’t a Lacey winger and Kent has forgotten he is meant to be one. Would have been far better to sacrifice the wings, increase our chance of the ball sticking up front and have an extra man in midfield

Only positive is we should put the youngsters in for the next 3 CL games and concentrate on winning this league and try again next year. 

It's as if our players look like they know they are out of their depths and don't have the belief to keep the fuckin ball and play like we actually play week in week out instead of booting long balls up the park in hope.

Same in first game away to Ajax 

Barisic and Tav truly awful tonight 

12 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Agree with that. Thought MxGregor and the 3 centre backs were the only positives from the starting 11. 

Lundstram was the worst he's been in months. 

I think Lundstram needs better around him, looked like the only guy in the middle for long spells. Davis was utterly anonymous.

Davies may very well come good. It's tough to play your first prolonged minutes against Liverpool, but I'm still sitting on the fence with him. 

Tonight, our fullbacks got nowhere up the park until Borna in the last ten minutes. Because we were playing three CH's, I expected more positive runs from Tav & Barisic. 

Goldson and, of course, McGregor were good. 

King was good but slightly over-hyped in here.

Thought Goldson was superb, King good & Davies done alright, jury still out on him. King has to be ahead of Davies though on current form but he's 18 and will have a few more mistakes like tonight at Champions League level.

The back 3/5 doesn't work for us under Gio, our 2 fullbacks aren't good enough to play it

Surely the idea of the 3 CBs is that we'll end up with more guys in midfield & hard to mark wingbacks...we seem to do the opposite with it!