Ryan Jack signs 1 year extension

Broxi

52 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I can actually see it now despite wanting every out of contract player to go. 

Raskin, Cantwell, Cifuentes as starters with Lundstram, Jack and Lawrence providing cover means the midfield is pretty much there for next season and this one isn’t even over yet. 

I think Lundstram will be required to sign a contract extension or be moved on this summer given he's out of contract next summer.

49 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Except it happens at nearly every club? 

Keeping injury prone players signed on in the hope they take part in less than half the available games and is half the player they used to be?

Big clubs get rid of these players instead we laud them and keep them in the "when fit" group of players.

21 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

People keep going on about this and Arfield making sense due to the European quota etc but at what point do we actually move on and replace these guys and bring in other players to fill the European quota. This felt like the right time to get an injury prone player off the books free of charge and the same with Arfield and at a time when we are supposed to be rebuilding. Feels like we're just delaying the issue and will be at the same crossroads next season.

Get your point, but we are undertaking a massive rebuild this year and need to be focussing all the funds we have on getting quality in to bolster the starting 11.

Signing someone like a Wright to come in purely for the home grown quota is a waste of money this summer so if it is a one year deal for Jack on reduced wages I can understand the decision. Start the rebuild this year and then look to deal with the home grown player issue next summer, either with signings or through bringing through more players from the academy this year coming.

23 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I was for it months back as long as he stayed fit to the end of the season. Then I was against it as he got injured and was out.  Now he's fit again and been offered this I haven't a clue what I think of it 🙃

Good player on his day, his day doesn't come often enough due to injury.

Don't think Jack has it in him to have "his day" anymore and that's the issue. 

1 hour ago, Essandoh said:

More than likely it’s just too expensive to go and find a Scottish replacement to meet the quota for Europe

I'm not suggesting him seriously but how expensive could a John Fleck be to bring in for a year and he covers home grown at club as well as country so he would be even more valuable and wouldn't miss half the games Ryan will due to injury.

6 minutes ago, Madina said:

I'm ambivalent about it. Far too injury prone and surely we have youngsters that could have been used to meet the "quota" 

Under 21 if I remember correctly it might be 18 don't count as they can be freely registered anyway so it's pointless using a youngster your just giving up a squad place.

19 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

Get your point, but we are undertaking a massive rebuild this year and need to be focussing all the funds we have on getting quality in to bolster the starting 11.

Signing someone like a Wright to come in purely for the home grown quota is a waste of money this summer so if it is a one year deal for Jack on reduced wages I can understand the decision. Start the rebuild this year and then look to deal with the home grown player issue next summer, either with signings or through bringing through more players from the academy this year coming.

I just don't think you can counter argue that it's wasting money bringing someone else now when we are wasting money now on signing on a player who gives us half the season on the treatment table. And I'm a Ryan Jack fan. I can actually get more behind this that Arfield purely based on ability.

Happy with that although I expected him to sign an extension. The best bit to be honest is watching all the usual negative posters wet their knickers over it. We could sign somebody like Haaland and some people on here would manage find a negative. 

20 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

If i had to give any of them an extension it would have been Scotty.

Ridiculous giving this clown another years wages , but no surprise from the experts that run the club.

I kind of agree about the extension but calling him a clown is a bit out of order.. Ive changed my mind about 4 times in the last six month as to whether i would keep him. Can see both sides.

11 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Happy with that although I expected him to sign an extension. The best bit to be honest is watching all the usual negative posters wet their knickers over it. We could sign somebody like Haaland and some people on here would manage find a negative. 

😂

So nobody is supposed to show any sort of concern over re-signing a 31 year old who has missed about 40 games in the last two seasons?

52 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Keeping injury prone players signed on in the hope they take part in less than half the available games and is half the player they used to be?

Big clubs get rid of these players instead we laud them and keep them in the "when fit" group of players.

What’s the alternative sign bang average squad players who more often than not prove to be shite at a higher wage than Jack will command and a transfer/signing on fee? we are going to need to retain some players Ryan Jack is a perfectly fine squad player. 

2 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

😂

So nobody is supposed to show any sort of concern over re-signing a 31 year old who has missed about 40 games in the last two seasons?

Show concern all you want. I'll still find it hilarious people wetting their knickers over us giving Jack an extension on what I'm assuming will be reduced wages. If he isn't fit then it won't be defining the season as I'm sure the deal agreed will take in to account that he's unlikely to play every game. It's the other players we bring in to be first team starters who will define the season.

Genuinely hope Arfield signs an extension too on the basis that he will mostly be on the bench. 

26 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

I just don't think you can counter argue that it's wasting money bringing someone else now when we are wasting money now on signing on a player who gives us half the season on the treatment table. And I'm a Ryan Jack fan. I can actually get more behind this that Arfield purely based on ability.

Guess that all depends on what the contract is he has signed and what others we were looking at are asking for.

H&H talking about reduced terms (and got to imagine that is a line they are being fed from somewhere) coupled with I don’t think he was one of our higher earners in the first place means I am willing to take the pragmatic view that we are unlikely to get someone of his quality for the wages we are speculating he will be on and he will be a squad player for next year which reflects the fact we can’t rely on him for a whole season but when he is available he is more than good enough to be a rotation option for our first choice midfielders.

Given that Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday is pretty much going to be the way of it until December then Jack will provide some cover for injuries/suspensions. Also gives Beale the chance to rest someone on one of the Saturdays. 1 extra year for Jack is the economy way of achieving that.