Why not invest in SPFL talent?

sco22y

We have lost out on so many fantastic talents recently that have played in our league (Hickey, Ferguson, Doigde etc.), surely we need to learn from this.  I'm thinking back to Neil McCann, Billy Dodds, Claudio Cannigia and Nacho Novo, to name a few, who delivered us titles.

Van Veen, Shankland and Nisbet are know doubt a talking point but so too are many others? 

I think we’d very happily move for any SPFL players who were,

1) Good enough 

2) Available at the right price 

The vast majority of players in Scotland aren’t good enough (like Van Veen) and, given that we’d have to pay more for Nisbet or Shankland than we did for Cantwell or Morelos, it’s just not the case that value is often out there for us versus other markets. 

3 minutes ago, rangersross said:

I think we’d very happily move for any SPFL players who were,

1) Good enough 

2) Available at the right price 

The vast majority of players in Scotland aren’t good enough (like Van Veen) and, given that we’d have to pay more for Nisbet or Shankland than we did for Cantwell or Morelos, it’s just not the case that value is often out there for us versus other markets. 

We would get Nisbet for £1.5m.

9 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

£1.2m i think

Fair enough. Must have misheard or seen the figure with the add-ons included. Arguably worth a punt around that price. As long as he doesn’t end up with them because he would score plenty of goals for either team. 

I do think we'll get back to investing in the better young Scottish talent out there.

But we're still not really in a financial position to be paying over the odds for the luxury right now. Plus Beale has to get winners in his squad and trophies in the cabinet more urgently than might be needed for some to make an impact with us.

Doig is the one I liked. Would have happily taken him if we could have punted Borna.

Because mostly it's over-vaulted. 

Diddy teams like the Sheep over inflate their prices and they mostly go on to become dogshite. 

No doubt there has been a couple of players that did go on to justify their price but majority do not. 

One that comes to mind the most just now is £2m rated Cosgrove.  

17 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I do think we'll get back to investing in the better young Scottish talent out there.

But we're still not really in a financial position to be paying over the odds for the luxury right now. Plus Beale has to get winners in his squad and trophies in the cabinet more urgently than might be needed for some to make an impact with us.

Doig is the one I liked. Would have happily taken him if we could have punted Borna.

Wouldn't be surprised if we made a move for him if they get relegated.

There are definitely good players to be had. Hickey/Doig, Ferguson, McKenna, Dykes, Campbell, McCann, and a few others over the last few years have been laughed at and called shite but would have been important parts of our squad and better than some of the players we’ve put out there. It’s just difficult to wade through the crap (and in some cases for fans to get over who the player is/who he supports).

Edit: could probably throw Porteous in there too tbh 

2 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

There are definitely good players to be had. Hickey/Doig, Ferguson, McKenna, Dykes, Campbell, McCann, and a few others over the last few years have been laughed at and called shite but would have been important parts of our squad and better than some of the players we’ve put out there. It’s just difficult to wade through the crap.

McKenna, Dykes, Campbell and McCann are shite 

12 minutes ago, RossS1873 said:

The Rangers support: 'The gap between the OF and the rest is bigger than ever'

Also the Rangers support: 'Why don't we buy more SPFL talent?'

The answer: Cause 95% of it is fucking shite and we'd be charged a premium to purchase the remaining 5%

Agreed,

You've hand-picked the ones who have done alright, what about all the ones that have left and been terrible?

Also in recent years we've brought in Souttar, Kamara, Wright, Jones, Hastie. 1 has been good but is now shite, another has been injured all season and might come good, the other 3 were rubbish.

2 hours ago, sco22y said:

We have lost out on so many fantastic talents recently that have played in our league (Hickey, Ferguson, Doigde etc.), surely we need to learn from this.  I'm thinking back to Neil McCann, Billy Dodds, Claudio Cannigia and Nacho Novo, to name a few, who delivered us titles.

Van Veen, Shankland and Nisbet are know doubt a talking point but so too are many others? 

Novo I'll give you because he came from the Spanish 2nd division into Scottish football, Cannigia holy fuck.  fuck knows why he was at Dundee and we got him at 35 I think when he was past it (still great, but past it for him)

image.thumb.png.19368ff680fcac76193c1d3154846ef6.pngimage.thumb.png.f8d0f232d03fd01b8d0a8f3f97ce58dd.png