Dessers

BigBearButt

7 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Big Serial Dessers again. 2nd finish was outstanding tbf

I really do like the Big Guy,  and apart from his ability to stick the ball in the net, on a few occasions with incredible skill and talent (remember Betis), he seems to be a very genuinely nice individual. Unfortunately for him, he is a striker at a Club with the likes of McCoist, Haetely, Mols, Johnstone in lifetime memory and as such has huge boots to fill in the proverbial sense. If only  he would go with instinct and hit for goal first time instead of that extra touch due to over thinking, then he would be a true penalty box predator.

7 hours ago, King Jela said:

That's crazy, considering all that supposedly separated us between 2nd and 1st was Shankland.

Exactly, a lot of shouts for "Shankland would have delivered us the title" last January 😳😬

As much as i think Shankland could be useful squad player, he is pretty shite and Dessers all round game is better. 

Unless we sign Shankland for nothing, thank fuck we didn't spend anything on him last January. Called it at the time he is a limited football player exactly like Boyd and he got a lot of abuse. 

Thank God we never had social media back in Ally's days. He missed as many as he scored. In my lifetime, no one will break McCoist's records.

But big Cyriel is doing just fine, and I've always thought that.

He's no Ian Rush or Baggio, but he's decent. I'm glad he plays for us.

4 hours ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Exactly, a lot of shouts for "Shankland would have delivered us the title" last January 😳😬

As much as i think Shankland could be useful squad player, he is pretty shite and Dessers all round game is better. 

Unless we sign Shankland for nothing, thank fuck we didn't spend anything on him last January. Called it at the time he is a limited football player exactly like Boyd and he got a lot of abuse. 

January was a different need. 

A lack of fire power was one of the main reasons we failed last year.

We needed a striker that knew the league and would come in, hit the ground running and score goals. Shankland, IMO, gave the best chance of that.

After January the Shankland ship sailed. I think we can do better.

Would hope that, given how desperate we’ve been for striking options (e.g. EL final with Aribo up top and then totally dependent on Dessers alone) for so long, the management team have a few really promising youngsters getting ready to burst onto the first team picture in the coming months.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

We needed a striker that knew the league and would come in, hit the ground running and score goals. Shankland, IMO, gave the best chance of that.

Agree we needed more fire power in January but for me it had to be alongside Dessers on the pitch rather than as a replacement. Lack of goals from elsewhere was a problem and to be honest this season doesn't seem to be much different. We need far more from the other forward players and needed the same in January. I felt we tried to address that in brining in Cortes and Silva but for different reasons neither of them worked out the way we had hoped. Obviously Shankland is mostly a centre forward but has played wide and as an attacking midfielder before, especially in his first season with Hearts, so could have done a job there, but as a direct replacement for Dessers then it would have been the same outcome. We can't rely on one guy to do all the scoring because when that guy has an off day and the chances aren't going in it makes it difficult to win games. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Signing Shankland in January would have given us a boost, took pressure off Dessers and Tav as the only goal threats,

Would we have won the league, who knows?

If we are 3-6 points behind the tarriers after the New Year game the same shout will happen IF Shankland starts scoring again.

I agree with you the time to sign him has gone, focus should be elsewhere.

13 hours ago, Jakes Pal said:

I really do like the Big Guy,  and apart from his ability to stick the ball in the net, on a few occasions with incredible skill and talent (remember Betis), he seems to be a very genuinely nice individual. Unfortunately for him, he is a striker at a Club with the likes of McCoist, Haetely, Mols, Johnstone in lifetime memory and as such has huge boots to fill in the proverbial sense. If only  he would go with instinct and hit for goal first time instead of that extra touch due to over thinking, then he would be a true penalty box predator.

He is that.  He came up to the two grandkids of a friend of mine after the game yesterday when they were singing Nice One Cyril, spent ages chatting to them