Ever applauded an opposition player at Ibrox?

graeme_4

12 minutes ago, laudrupno1 said:

Del Piero 

That whole Juventus team were something else, I remember the game at ibrox when you could see them up close. The size of them was frightening, they were all about 3 foot across the shoulders, absolutely massive. They made our players look like little boys.

14 minutes ago, jcb said:

A young Ghanaian player called Abedi Pele who was in a different league to everyone else on the park during a pre-season friendly around the early-mid 90s.

Standing ovation when substituted from all 4 stands that evening iirc.

thats a blast from the past, he was some player at the time, spent most of his best years in France.

He's the father of the Ayew boys who play for Swansea

26 minutes ago, jcb said:

A young Ghanaian player called Abedi Pele who was in a different league to everyone else on the park during a pre-season friendly around the early-mid 90s.

Pointless fact of the day: His 2 boys are the Ayew brothers that play for Swansea.

2 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Just broony, best player to have graced the world of football. 

Cant believe he choose to play in Scotland all his career.

:lol:just messaged the boys on the whatsapp group saying i was thinking of saying this but couldn't bring myself to do it.

You seem to say a lot of things i think of saying btw, pity you having the same mindset as me:lol:

9 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

thats a blast from the past, he was some player at the time, spent most of his best years in France.

He's the father of the Ayew boys who play for Swansea

Bastard :belm::lol:

33 minutes ago, jcb said:

Was he the same "pele" who played for Marseille against us in the champions league 92/93?

53 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

I remember when we played Valencia over there, they had lost their first 3 league games and were supposedly "in a crisis" , well they absolutely took us apart . It was 3nil going on 7 , they got to the final that year and no wonder. Mendieta was the main man as well.

Yeah typical scottish gutter press branded then the Aberdeen (they were struggling badly at the time) of Spain! They were amazing that season.

Cruyff, Neeskens and the whole Ajax team in the European finals winners game.

Bonhof for Moenchengladbach. 

Kempes for Valencia.

Cooper in his game for Clydebank, if I remember correcty we already knew he was coming to us, but he still hd a terrific game. 

Kempes for Valencia.

George Best got a great reception too, when he played for Hibs against us, and even Kenny Dalglish got a round of applause when he latched on to a terric 50 yard Graeme Souness pass to score in a friendly against Liverpool. 

When we played a Turkish team called Ankaragucu, half an hour before the game two of the Turkish supporters walked in to the Rangers end which was filling up from the back and stood half way between the crowd and the track wall. They unfurled ad Ankaragucu banner about 6 feet by 10 feet. I'd never seen anything like that back then and there was a sudden intake of breath from the whole Rangers end as we realised what had happened and what could happen next..........then suddenly someone started clapping and the rest of the crowd joined in the applause at the sheer cheekiness and bravado of it. 

Normal business was resumed as John Greig scored twice in the first twenty minutes and we won 4-0 and to their credit the wee Turkish guys kept their flag flying.

Remember applauding an Arbroath player named Fletcher - blonde and full of running, scored too if I recall.  They won 3-2 at Ibrox during the (very) early 1970's.  I think that Andy Penman also played for them that time.  Maybe some of the older bears can help me out with this one.  Also recall some good players with St. Mirren - Cameron Murray, Bobby Adams and Bobby Pinkerton.