For those of us that have no time for the national team

GOAT

I only support our National team when our players are playing. I want our players to do well and if that means winning with Scotland or any of the national teams i am all for it. I will never support Scotland when none of our players play though which might seem odd but it does not interest me really. 

That alkie bastard has to go surely? Worst football i have seen Scotland play since fucking Berti Vogts haha

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Genuinely, very much so. 

I think the political situation up here makes it hard to get behind the team as the Nationalist movement really has hi-jacked the football side - but oddly not the rugby where I don't think politics matter really.

I think what happened in 2012 just further compounds that feeling of disillusionment about the national team. I no longer think you could go to a Scotland football match and be known as a no voting Rangers fan and be made to feel welcome. 

Honestly, I would like to be Scottish again.  I would love to get back to a time where everything relating to Scottish or Britishness is not seen as some political statement and you're judged on it. Even the wearing/non wearing of face masks are seen by many as showing your politics. 

When the winning penalty went in tonight it stirred no emotions in me whatsoever, the sfa are wideo underhanded myopic mongos, growing up I could never understand the treatment Rangers players received, and I've never forgiven them for not picking Gough best defender by miles yet never got a look in which just shows how pish their set up is and always will be.

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Genuinely, very much so. 

I think the political situation up here makes it hard to get behind the team as the Nationalist movement really has hi-jacked the football side - but oddly not the rugby where I don't think politics matter really.

I think what happened in 2012 just further compounds that feeling of disillusionment of caring about the national team. I no longer think you could go to a Scotland football match now and be known as a no voting Rangers fan and be made to feel welcome. 

Honestly I would like to be Scottish again. Up here I would love to get back to a time where everything relating to Scottish or Britishness is not seen as some political statement. Even the wearing/non wearing of face masks are seen by many as showing your politics. 

Sad world we live in mate, Everything we are doing we are being judged before people know us. 

34 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

I do feel it a bit seeing fans in other countries support their national teams, but I haven’t felt able to for a long time.

I used to go to all the home games, got nervous watching away games on television, made daft schoolboy plans to go to Germany in 1974, bought into all the hype in 1978, still had hopes in 1982 and 1986.

Sensed it changing when Souness came and signed all his England players, the petty jealousies and hatred towards us started to surface. I gave up caring after Italia 90. After that I laughed at the Tartan Army and wished defeat on them every game.

I took my son to a couple of games in the early 2000s to let him experience international football and just felt I didn’t belong any more. The whole crowd was different from my day, I knew I was sitting among people who despised my club.

2012 made it worse, the hatred from the diddy teams ramped up and the tarriers slithered their way to controlling the game off the park and filling the national team on it. I got to the stage where I didn’t even know who, where or why Scotland were playing. 

Thats where I am now, completely indifferent. And I know there are thousands of Bears who feel the same.

Thats what you get when you alienate the support of the biggest club in the country.

I remember before France 98 I was on the house phone and my dad was down my grans hitting redial for about 3 hours trying to get tickets with no joy. We just said we'd go to the next one. :lol:

We regretted not just going anyway for years, it was in France ffs, wouldn't have broke the bank.

Not something that has bothered me, or him for years before he died. I'm glad i went to Manchester 2008 (no tickets) with him over France 98 going to every game. :UK:

24 minutes ago, TheJacketRFC said:

Sad world we live in mate, Everything we are doing we are being judged before people know us. 

I do a bit of motorsport, and it sort of hit home when deciding what to personalise my race suit with a few years ago. I opted for just my name, rather than put a country flag beside it (as is traditional in motorsport) -  I'd rather not be judged (and..... I would have used a Saltire).

Even something as primal as swiping on bloody Tinder, you see a hell of a lot of profiles saying 'No yoons and no Tories'.

50 minutes ago, Badger said:

I do a bit of motorsport, and it sort of hit home when deciding what to personalise my race suit with a few years ago. I opted for just my name, rather than put a country flag beside it (as is traditional in motorsport) -  I'd rather not be judged (and..... I would have used a Saltire).

Even something as primal as swiping on bloody Tinder, you see a hell of a lot of profiles saying 'No yoons and no Tories'.

I do European trackdays with the bike and usually there’s between half a dozen and 20 Scottish guys out of maybe 100 riders. One of the older guys that’s been doing it for years cable ties a big saltire to the railing across from the garage ( he’s a Glasgow boy, bluenose and big unionist btw) it’s easy to see your garage when you come down pit lane, but that’s by the bye. There’s always lots of banter with the English boys you see it on the Facebook pages and at night especially the last few years the talk always turns to Scottish politics at some point. I generally don’t get too far into it, but I’ve found myself on a few occasions having to say to we’re not all yes voting, English hating pricks. 

ECE965F4-64C6-44DC-BB54-B972795E86EE.jpeg

Some of my happiest memories were spent following Scotland even though they were the world champions at falling at the last hurdle, but we were always guaranteed to give some of the big names in world football a good game, and the supporters didn't really care what team you supported, world cup qualifiers, home internationals, [especially Wembley] we were all as one and I met many good guys from all over Scotland and beyond as we all enjoyed a swally, then the rot set in and even before all the shit came down in 2012 I found myself disillusioned with the way the club were being treated and didn't really care about the results, but 2012 was the final nail in the coffin and since then the Scottish national team mean fuck all to me.

On a sad note I was talking to my son a couple of years back and he was asking me what it was like back in the day when Scotland were regularly qualifying for major tournaments and I was explaining how much enjoyment and frustration I got from it and he turned round and said to me "I would loved to have watched and supported Scotland in a world cup or Euro finals", now sadly even if they qualified for a major tourny I probably wouldn't even be bothered watching it with him and that is what is really upsetting to me that these cunt's have stolen the love for my home nation from me.

I loved Scotland as a young man. 74, 78. 82...

But sadly. I can honestly say, I despise them and hope that they lose all the time.

That is how much Scotland has become a cesspit to me these days.

I just heard they won on penalties. I'm being serious. I'm oblivious to what they do.

19 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I loved Scotland as a young man. 74, 78. 82...

But sadly. I can honestly say, I despise them and hope that they lose all the time.

That is how much Scotland has become a cesspit to me these days.

I just heard they won on penalties. I'm being serious. I'm oblivious to what they do.

I’m exactly the same mate, can’t be fucked with international football anyway unless it’s a World Cup or something, but nah I’m not taking time out of my life to watch utter dross get beat by utter dross. Add to that the kilt wearers who hate any Rangers players/fans there. So fuck them

7 hours ago, GOAT said:

Whether it’s because it’s full of tarriers, or full of nationalists, or full of rangers hating bastards or because how the SFA have shafted our club or quite simply all of these.  Does it annoy you?

A small part of me is actually quite annoyed I can’t support my country because it’s full of nationalist, Rangers hating bastards and I think the reason I can’t support Scotland is why I hate international football so much. 

Not really annoyed, but as a kid I was a big Scotland fan, went to every game I could, and will never forget some amazing games, against England, Spain, France etc. But too much has changed. All of the above points are valid, and also the poor quality of the team, and the poisonous tactics of the coaches. Not to mention the tiresome, embarrassing, cringeworthy tartan army. On football alone, I couldn't stomach them anymore. It's not that I want them to lose, I just don't care whether they win or lose. 

I used to get right into watching Scotland games when I was younger but don’t give a fuck about them know, and it does annoy me sometimes, I feel less scotish now than I ever have before as the country has changed beyond recognition over the last 20 years and the SNP/tarriers/PC brigade now have full control of the entire place

Watching Scotland was huge for me growing up. Was during the period when we qualified for every tournament that came around. High point was going to the World Cup in France for 17 days, which was superb. There were plenty of Rangers fans there - probably more than any other club. Last game I was at was the 2-2 draw with England. My interest has definitely cooled, probably more because of how pish we are. Didn't watch last night. 

To be honest I do watch them but only to laugh at how absolutely shite they are, as for that sad wanker of a manager he looks and sounds like some kind of suicide watch victim, I used to be proud to be Scottish but nowadays I don't give a toss about the filthy wet dull miserable Nationalist stinkhole 

8 hours ago, GOAT said:

I’m no embarrassed to be Scottish, love my country, proud to be Scottish and British.  I just don’t have time for the national team.  Nationalist SNP supporting left wing loonies will never take away how proud I am to be from Scotland and this island that’s done so much in history. 

I agree apart the part of them stealing the flag though.  But it’s up to us to take it back. 

Bang on. Never let the nationalists hijack our Scottish identity or the Saltire.

11 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Bang on. Never let the nationalists hijack our Scottish identity or the Saltire.

Is it just me or has the Saltire changed colour? I remember it being dark blue, every time I see it now it’s light blue. 

Edit: “These variations in shade eventually led to calls to standardise the colour of Scotland's national flag,[13]and in 2003 a committee of the Scottish Parliament met to examine a petition that the Scottish Executive adopt the Pantone 300 colour as a standard. (Note that this blue is of a lighter shade than the Pantone 280 of the Union Flag). Having taken advice from a number of sources, including the office of the Lord Lyon King of Arms, the committee recommended that the optimum shade of blue for the Saltire be Pantone 300.[14] Recent versions of the Saltire have therefore largely converged on this official recommendation.”

Do I want Scotland to win? Yeah I do actually.

Do I actively support Scotland? No. Don’t think I’d go to a game again and if they win or lose it doesn’t really bother me either way.

I’ve got a wee boy who I’d love to be able to take to a Scotland game and be proud.

Sadly as the majority have said the yes Rangers hating people have sadly taken over and it would be a miserable experience.

Hopefully we get more Rangers players in the team and Rangers fans will start going along with our lion rampants and union flags

My antipathy goes back to the mid 00s.

Fat wanks in timberlands, socks at their ankles, poorly fitted kilts and Glengarrys. Usually "supported" Falkirk or some other small team. Funny at first, not so after 25 years. And imagine fucked decked up like that, in a pub, for a fucking qualifier against Macedonia!

9 hours ago, GOAT said:

I’m no embarrassed to be Scottish, love my country, proud to be Scottish and British.  I just don’t have time for the national team.  Nationalist SNP supporting left wing loonies will never take away how proud I am to be from Scotland and this island that’s done so much in history. 

I agree apart the part of them stealing the flag though.  But it’s up to us to take it back. 

Said the same thing myself, why surrender the governing of our game and the national team to they wee cunts that wouldn’t look out of place on a shortbread tin tarrier bastards?

The best way to counteract it is to get more pro Rangers/pro union people involved in the game from the grassroots up, grounds men, ball boys, refs, executives, boardroom members and football players.

As a club start developing the best young Scottish talent we can get our hands on and give the fans a reason to take an interest.

Its not a popular opinion but it’s not always been this way and it shouldn’t stay this way, people will cry cabal and dark arts but I think it can change.

I remember the full family getting together to watch the group games during World Cup 98 and I would hate to think future generations of Rangers fans couldn’t enjoy a similar experience for whatever reason.

I couldnt give a flying fuck about the Scotland football national team. I dont even care if they win lose or draw. Have zero interest

Dont think theres anything to be missed. Mixing wae sheepshaging aberdeen scum chookter junkie hibs fans. Fuck that.

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Haven’t supported the SFA works team for a long, long time.

Will never support them again.

Does it bother me? No.

International football is dying a slow painful death which is good 👍

Yep, no money in it which will eventually end it in its current form at least.

Feel like at this point we're just having WC and EC because we always have and not because any cunt actually wants them.

Archived